Question

Virtual Line In for Mac

• 29 April 2017
  • 5 replies

Has any progress been made at all with allowing Mac users to use their Sonos speakers as wireless output speakers for their computer? If not, when can we expect this incredibly useful function?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

No, and probably never. Sonos was not designed to be a computer speaker. It operates on a "pull" architecture that goes out and pulls tracks from the source. To make it a "push" architecture would require a complete redesign. Even the streaming via native apps implementation like Spotify and Google Play Music aren't being pushed from the apps, they are pulled dirctly from the source.
I doubt that Sonos has any plans to make the significant changes to its internal architecture needed to do this, at least in the near future. Although Sonos can access and play the music that is contained on the Mac HDD, it cannot wirelessly accept music streamed from the Mac. If you must have that, buy Bluetooth or Airplay.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I found SonoAir to be a workaround for what you're looking for (http://sonoair.mihosoft.eu/). Once it's running you basically set Sonos to be the computer speakers. There's lag to it, so how useful it is depends on what you're using it for.
No, and probably never. Sonos was not designed to be a computer speaker. It operates on a "pull" architecture that goes out and pulls tracks from the source. To make it a "push" architecture would require a complete redesign. Even the streaming via native apps implementation like Spotify and Google Play Music aren't being pushed from the apps, they are pulled dirctly from the source.

If this is true then how does my playbar push audio to the sonos system? or the line in on a play 5? also think not having the ability to easily use your laptop as an audio source is a massive missing feature.

If this is true then how does my playbar push audio to the sonos system? or the line in on a play 5? also think not having the ability to easily use your laptop as an audio source is a massive missing feature.

Sigh.