Version 8 for IOS is terrible

• 9 October 2017
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 3
I love my Sonos kit but I have to say the new release of controller is awful. Switching content and rooms just seems so much more clunky now, I’m never 100% which room or group i’m changing music for. Switching rooms is horrible too, the place I got to intuitively gives me the option only to group not switch.

If this was the app available when I bought my first Sonos 1 I would have exactly one Sonos speaker in a cupboard, rather than over ten around the house.

Favourites is a waste of space too, who lists content like that alphabetically??? Allow customisation or at least list the ones used most often on the home screen.

The old controller was intuitive and worked so well, this one is a disaster. Needs sorting soon, do I continue to invest in the Sonos brand or jump ship now?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

@Keithmac. Was it a forced update? Sonos itself can be srt not to update automatically and the app update will depend on your general app update preferences, will it not?

I was adding a new Play1 for upstairs, I had no option to decline the update if I wanted to use my new speaker.

All my controllers were set not to automatically update but adding hardware circumvented that..
As noted, apologies.
It definitely sucks. I was on beta for several months and gave my feedback that it totally, totally sucked - especially room changing. My feedback went into a black hole...no-one ever came back to me to ask for direct feedback. Kind of defeats the purpose of beta. I have 14 different Sonos zones in my house - and like a previous comment made on this thread, if this had been my first experience I would have been a "one and gone" buyer. There is no other description for the latest Sonos App for iPhone other than totally awful and amateurish. Sonos - what were you thinking? The desktop experience remains pretty much the same (and it is fine btw) but the iPhone version (which is what I use) is basically broken. Changing rooms is just a complete nightmare. What used to be a simple, intuitive, one click process is now a complex, multi-click process which fails to work much of the time. If you want to move from one room to another you have to deselect the current rooms and select the one you want......except half the time the app still reverts back to the original selected room. The only way I can make it work is to add the new room to the old room to create a group, and then go into room selection again and deselect the original room from that group.....totally nuts. This morning I was changing rooms, so I deselected the other active room and the app turned the music off in those rooms even though my wife was still listening to music in those rooms. Its like the app thinks "oh, you're moving to a new room and no longer need the old room, I'll stop the music then"......but that's not the point, I just want to turn on music in a new room, not in a group, and leave the old room running totally separate. This is so unbelievably frustrating. If I hear anyone tell me - "you are doing it wrong...you need to do this, this and that and then it works fine".....I answer you "no". I have been using Sonos for 10 years. Everything until now has been intuitive and just worked - that is why Sonos was so awesome - it just worked. Now my wife and teenage kids have stopped using Sonos through frustration because the app is "broken". Regardless of whether or not there is some mason's handshake "correct" way of doing it, not being intuitive means it is broken. Sonos - being simple and intuitive and working first time, every time, is why we like your products - and you just broke that. Please fix this mess or those also-ran multi-room audio vendors will start to get my dollars and probably many other peoples' too.
I have two speakers and switching between the two with the app takes at least three goes. And what is this DONE button about - I switch - it says DONE - but its not done - its waiting for me the press done