Question

Version 8.2 broke my system:-)

• 15 November 2017
  • 18 replies

Unless the rare thing has happened and I am an outlier that is far out, the very useful part of the app - Favourites - is now messed up for playlists, though it appears to be ok for Stations, though these now are in List view.

Fortunately for me, since the App store did not have the 8.2 right away, I did not update it on a recently received old iPhone 5 now dedicated for controller duty. So I can do a side by side comparison and verbalise - I don't know how to do screenshots of these.

1. My Sonos playlists are the same large icon view in both. But in 8.2, they now have all of my 12 on view after scrolling plus 5 from service for a total of 17. While 8.1.1. has just 5, the favourites. Defeats the purpose and the meaning of Favourites.
2, See all on 8.2 yields a list of 17 lists, doing the same in 8.1.1 yields just the same 5, choses as Favourites.
3. As I recall, the merging of ALL Sonos playlists, and favourite ones from service under see All, is new. Perhaps useful if the main part wasn't messed up.

Bring back 8.1.1.!

Down with 8.2!!!

Now that I have done the kind of venting that many people here love to do, I am just happy for two things:
1. The old faithful - the Mac controller.
2. Having not been given the early option to go to 8.2 on iOS. So my "new" dedicated Sonos handheld controller, on 8.1.1, still works well though the units are on 8.2.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the feedback, Kumar. As I mentioned in the other thread, I'll make sure to share your voice with the team.
I was lucky in two respects with 8.1.1; that it was not released in time in the app store for iOS devices, so I still have that on one and that it works fine with all units in 8.2.
So unless this is well resolved in future upgrades, no more upgrades for me. I can do without any more cosmetic fairy dust from these, to keep the favourites feature intact.
It looks like no one else uses playlists...

And I don't know if yesterday's suffered trauma is my stupidity or a 8.2 bug.

Not being familiar with iOS, I allowed the iPhone to auto update to 8.2 and hit my forehead with my palm when I realised that 8.1.1. is lost to me forever. So now, I am in the same damn 8.2 boat on both handhelds.

But there is worse; in trying to clean up the duplicate playlists in My Sonos on the updated iPhone, I deleted BOTH versions of one, not knowing which one is duplicate and knowing that when I did this on my Android when it went to 8.2, there was the standard "Are you sure" question when I was trying to delete the original. But on 8.2 in iOS there was NO such question, both versions were silently deleted. Hoping and praying, I went to the "old faithful even on 8.2" Mac controller thinking it will still be there, but it was gone from both Sonos favourites AND Sonos playlists!!! Another WTF moment. And an hour rebuilding from memory, a 500 song playlist.

So is this an iOS issue? Or an iPhone setting issue? Or an iOS on 8.2 issue? Or is it just me?
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Maybe one of the other posters will be around to talk to you about muscle memory, how you will learn to love it or how you are to blame for updating your app.

J/k I feel your pain. That really sucks you lost your playlist, too bad there's no local backups, cloud backups or the old recycle bin. Especially in a multi user environment where a simple mistake or fat thumb could bring the hurt.
I am willing to take the fall for the app update, but not for deleting the playlist IF the hitherto available warning before deletion has disappeared. I doubt there will be any justification coming from anyone if that be the case.
Userlevel 1
Broke my system as well.
Badge
Broke mine too:
New app SUCKS! Last 2 Sonos updates have gone poorly. Support is falling down and I am
quickly losing faith in product and company.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If you're still having any technical issues with your players, such as not being able to connect to your players, I'd encourage you to give us a call on our support line. The team can help you get this sorted out.
Hi Kumar, I am not sure this helps but I too use Playlists, a lot in fact. At the moment I have over 50 and I am still counting. Unfortunately Sonos cannot handle them and I posted a message to this effect in this forum some time ago why I had to give them up. I eventually solved the Playlist problems (there were several) by creating them in iTunes and having Sonos automatically read them when it re-indexes. These playlists now turn up in the Music Library as "Imported Playlists". They are also listed in My Sonos for easy access. It works well.
Thanks Emile, but I don't use iTunes; and therefore my problem remains with 8.2 - that I must see ALL Sonos playlists in My Sonos, not just the few I have chosen as favourites. While the favourites thing works for everything else, like Albums or even playlists made in Apple/Google - something that is illogical, and clutters up My Sonos by showing all Sonos playlists, not just favourite ones.
Since the new look user interface had been installed I struggle with changing and grouping speakers.
I have done all the trouble shooting steps and been in contact with customer support.
It's definitely the new look app.
I can still use the laptop just fine.
I hope they fix this soon as I love the products but find the system a waste of time and money if I can't group and ungroup speakers using the phone app.
if I can't group and ungroup speakers using the phone app.
Do this via the Rooms icon on the black bar at the bottom of the screen that may be visible only after the now playing screen is swiped down.
Interestingly, I JUST saw a recent post regarding playlists that stated that Sonos Support told the poster that Sonos was no longer going to support Playlists. But when I logged back in to get more details, I can not find the post. Gee Sonos, did somebody let the cat out of the bag and reveal another Sonos future improvement? Where are you going? Your very loyal fan base is already upset over the recent improved controller apps and now you're deleting functions that are an important part of the Sonos experience? And even more insidious, deleting a post that reveals the future? I kept my ReplayTV for a decade after the company when out of business. I wonder what will happen to you? I certainly won't be adding to my 8 units - running 7.4, BTW.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
That thread is here - https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/sonos-playlists-discontinued-6796111
Its interesting that the grouping works just fine through the Windows app, just crap through a phone running the new software (despite all the things going on 'behind the scenes'...).
Well there goes the cover up. But what about the conspiracy?
What I don't like about playlists in My Sonos is that the favourites view has been lost where Sonos Playlists are concerned. In My Sonos, the playlists section shows playlists from music services only where these have been selected for addition to My Sonos. But every Sonos Playlist is included, which muddies the idea of showing just favourites in My Sonos - be it playlists, stations, albums. Because where Sonos Playlists are concerned, My Sonos has the entire lot.

But as said on the other thread, playlists are too important a part of Sonos use for the feature to go out of support.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Running version 8.2.2 and the playlist are definitely confusing. It worked so much better before the 8.1 update. I used playlists all the time, in fact it's how you get the alarm to work, so if they are deprecating the playlist I'll be finding another whole house solution because it appears Sonos is not listening to it's customers anymore.