Answered

Vacation Home Use, then connecting problems when returned home

• 22 October 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge
I took one of my Sonos One speakers to my vacation home. It really is not easy to change networks temporarily. I got it to work (using ethernet cable setup then setting to new network) but when I returned home I have not been able to get it reset to my home network. I got it to work briefly but now I it will not show up on my app no matter what I try. I'm about to try a factory reset.

I did get it to connect by plugging in an ethernet cable, but when I disconnect the ethernet, the connection is lost. Now the controller can't connect thinking it is on a different network which did not change since it was Ethernet was unplugged. I have gone through the numerous procedure suggested. Now my two phones and computer can't connect to Sonos. I sent in a Diagnostic report

The discussions are not clear about what exactly is the risk in doing a factory reset, just that it is not a good idea. If a set is done are all setting for all speakers affected, or just setting on the reset speaker?

I have a Sonos 5 in the Kitchen, Sonos one in Family Rm and Sonos One in the Living Rm (the speaker I'm have the issue with).

I guess I'll have wait until Monday morning to call Sonos Support
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 22 October 2018, 03:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If this doesn't work: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3406?language=en_US then when you took your speaker out of your home network you probably ended up with it becoming a new system at the vacation spot.

If you factory reset only the speaker that is the problem it shouldn't impact the other speakers. Once you do that you should be able to connect to your home Sonos speakers and add the wayward one back into that system with the "add new speaker" menus. You'll have to use an App to do that as the 9.2 update removed the option to do so from the desktop controllers.

Lots of weasel words above, for a good reason. I'm not an expert at that situation as I hit it once many years ago and got talked through the fix. Several other posters here are far more expert in this area and you might want to wait for one of them to chip in. An alternative is to try one of the Sonos 24x7 support options (Twitter or Facebook) and get an official comment.

For the next time you may want to look into putting your system in Boost mode, either with a Boost device or by wiring one or more Sonos devices to your router. When you next move your speaker to the vacation spot also wire it up to activate Boost mode there and it should be happy and have no issues upon returning to the main home Sonos system.
Badge
I finally got it working by doing the "Boost mode", plugging one speaker into the network. Now all three speakers work but I don't want it to need to be cabled to the network. I had it working that way before I took it to the vacation home.
Userlevel 7
You can use the Sonos dedicated Boost module to free up the speaker. Take it with you to the vacation home and plug it into the router there as well.
Badge
Why use a Boost for $100 when it was working before? How is a boost different from a network extender. Does it essentially create a Sonos wifi network of it's own?
Userlevel 7
@hkhamilton

I suggested a dedicated Boost module because often times the router is not placed in an ideal location such as a room far away or in a closet. In any event using a speaker may limit placement especially if you are trying to create a stereo pair. Boost mode using a speaker or the dedicated boost creates it's own network which is more stable than Wi-Fi (Standard Setup).

Read about the differences between a Boost and Standard Wi-Fi setup at the link (there are several sub categories to read as well): https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/support/setting-up-sonos

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Boost - will create and Extend Sonosnet network

Wifi Extender extends current network.

If doing a vacation home your wifi can be different at both locations and therefore each time you move a speaker back and forth you have to plug it into router and re-run wifi setup.

If using boost at both locations (or any single sonos speaker hooked to router). Then your speakers are not running off your home wifi but are running on Sonosnet. Which in this case would be exactly the same at both locations and therefore when you move a speaker back and forth it will automatically connect because it sees the same sonos networks.