Using the smartphone (Controller-App) as microphone (source) for your Sonos System

• 2 December 2015
  • 5 replies

Wouldn't it be nice to use your smartphone with the Sonos App as a microphone to make a short announcement during a party throught your sonos speakers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Wouldn't it be nice to use your smartphone with the Sonos App as a microphone to make a short announcement during a party throught your sonos speakers.
Hello Danomark. Welcome to the community.
No plans to announce at the time, but thanks for the great suggestion.
Userlevel 1
Userlevel 1
i have been thinking about something similar to use the Sonos app as microphone and one or several speakers, acting as loudspeaker. Sometimes i'm assisting in hosting a sports event. Some of the people are near the play area - they hear the announcements through the speaker system, but people having a drink or eating something in the cafeteria don't hear the announcements. We could setup several speakers and the announcements would be heard everywere.
i have been thinking about something similar to use the Sonos app as microphone and one or several speakers, acting as loudspeaker. Sometimes i'm assisting in hosting a sports event. Some of the people are near the play area - they hear the announcements through the speaker system, but people having a drink or eating something in the cafeteria don't hear the announcements. We could setup several speakers and the announcements would be heard everywere.

Alexa enabled speakers (including Sonos Beam and One) have an announcement feature. It's not a true PA system, but allows you to make a short message , "Alexa, annouce dinner's ready", on one Alexa device and it will be repeated on the other devices in your account. That's not exactly the PA system you're looking for.

I don't think is really going to move in this direction. It's a wireless home audio system. It's not really designed with sports events or cafeterias in mind. I can see where this would be useful in the home too, for parties and such, but the above announcement features covers a bit of this, and customers can get a separate PA system if they want.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
What Danny says is very true. I don't really see Sonos moving in that direction, as we are presently geared towards the home primarily. Although I will forward this feedback to the necessary department. Do let us know if you need anything else. Many thanks.