Using app to play through computers speakers

• 13 January 2015
  • 43 replies

Userlevel 2
I'd like to use the Sonos app on my Mac to play my music through the computers built in speakers.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

43 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I agree with this idea. I have some Bose speakers that I use on my MAC and since my Sonos 5 is in another room it would be nice to play the same music in both locations.. I will buy a couple of the play 3 but will not use them in the room where my computer is located.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Sonos, this is a joke.

@Nick, the only way to do this is through buying a connect, which is a $349 product.
Better integration between the computer app and sonos or local speakers is a very common request, but they simply will not do it. They would rather push everyone to a $349 product and risk alienating their customer base.

These decisions are clearly about sales and not satisfaction. It would be very easy for them to add this into the desktop app, but they won't. 

If you have that sort of money to blow, go for it. If you don't, it's 2015, there are a host of new products out there that can.

*Also, moderators, there are a ton of similar suggestions to this that you are not merging into one, yet are merging many others. This keeps the count artificially low.
I couldn't agree more. SUCH a shame that my friend bought this expensive 'Play 1' as a wedding gift and I simply cannot find a way to use it.
This product is strictly for use in a very specific way - it cannot be added on to an existing hi-fi setup.

Am I missing something? Or is the only way for us to 'play the same music in each room' as advertised, to buy a €399 'Connect'? Outrageous.

I used a crude solution as per the forum comments which streamed the PC audio as a radio station that the Sonos could play, but there are a few seconds delay, which of course sounds rubbish, and eats up internet bandwidth.

The Sonos PC Controller software should be able to output to your PC speakers, *like any free music player does*. Perhaps a single simple setting to adjust latency would be needed?

I can use iTunes to play music in the living room, and have the Sonos PC Controller software stream different music to the bathroom, but I can't stream the same music as advertised.

Don't get me wrong, this speaker is an amazing feat of technology - it streams music from the PC seamlessly and controls well from the mobile app. It's just a terrible case of unclear and possibly immoral advertising which makes this purchase completely useless for many users.

I WOULD BUY MORE OF THESE FOR EACH ROOM (because they look, sound and operate really well) if they could simply stream PC audio. A sound driver with latency settings would really make a splash in the market.

I don't know what to do now, since my friend sent this to me in Hong Kong from Australia. Ugh.
Sonos is a hardware company, that's their business model, how does giving away a free zone match up to that? As for the last post, I'm lost for words that anyone could so fundamentally misunderstand the point of a product that they "can't find any use for it". Ridiculous. It's a standalone music player, it's not supposed to integrate with your existing hi-fi, Sonos has a different product for that.

Immoral advertising? Sonos has never said you can play your pc audio through their speakers, so how is it false advertising? The speaker will play the same music that your *other Sonos devices are playing*. That's the point of it.

Oddly, if you want to join the Sonos environment Sonos do actually expect you to buy one of their products. It's an odd philosophy I know but there it is. Anyone would think they were in this to make money or something...
Badge
+1.
I love the controller app. I use it, with 2 play:1 and a Connect.
But when I'm at the office, I can't use the controller app for online music streaming... Please add this feature !
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Connect hooked to audio out of your office computer. Before you dismiss it as expensive option like some will...hear me out.

It also makes your computer speakers double as Sonos speakers (which then saves a good bit of the Connect cost).

You hook the line out from your computer into the connect. You hook the line out from the connect to your desktop speakers. When you play computer sound it feeds through the connect and auto sets to ouput it via the output to your speakers (so same as if the connect not there). But because its feeding through the connect you can play that computer sound then to any Sonos unit in the office. Then when you want to play Sonos music the zone that is a Connect then you can play any Sonos music from the Sonos app to it and the Sonos music will play through your office speakers (I hit mute on my computer so that computer sound won't start and override my Sonos music).
Badge
This is a no-sens option...
I just plug my headphone into my macbook coupled input/output.
Why Sonos controller didn't allow to directly play music on local speaker ?!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Because music doesn't go to the controller. Sonos controllers are remote controls. Sonos units bypass the controller and pull the music direct from source. It is what makes streaming on Sonos so reliable .... It is not Bluetooth or AirPlay and their major flaws. It is a multi room streaming platform. There is compete sense in my option for those that have that need. Maybe you need to learn Sonos architecture better.
Badge
I know Sonos architecture. In my suggestion, Sonos controller could be a Sonos unit, who stream directly music from source like Spotify, Qobuz, etc.
I know Sonos architecture. In my suggestion, Sonos controller could be a Sonos unit, who stream directly music from source like Spotify, Qobuz, etc.

Then you do not know the architecture, because "Sonos controller could be a Sonos unit" means a complete revamping of the Sonos architecture, which is not going to happen.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That would require Sonos speaker software completely written into the application. Don't believe possible or anyone Sonos would think of doing. If you know Sonos architecture you know music is never sent to the controller.
Badge
That's why asking to send music to the controller... Another option could be an addon, with a licence provided with a physical device for exemple, who transform a computer into a Sonos device... Both commercial and technical architecture should be preserved by this option...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
This is a different concept and has been brought up before. Your not talking playing through controller. Your talking about turning computer into a Sonos unit (software Sonos version on pc). Something like a USB key has been discussed before. I don't think Sonos has any interest in it AT ALL.
A device to transform a computer into a Sonos device? Like a Connect you mean?
Badge
Like a Software Connect, yes. The name does'nt matter : Software sonos, Sonos addon, Sonos controller with audio capability...

This in the main problem in Sonos IMHO : they don't care about customers expectations, like HD compatibility, provided by BlueSound for exemple.
Like a Software Connect, yes. The name does'nt matter : Software sonos, Sonos addon, Sonos controller with audio capability...
Err.. There already is a Sonos CONNECT. And, although Sonos haven't totally killed the suggestion, to convert the Desktop Controller into a free Sonos Player would be commercially questionable, to say the least.

This in the main problem in Sonos IMHO : they don't care about customers expectations, like HD compatibility, provided by BlueSound for exemple.
They do, and they care more about delivering something of real value.
http://www.whathifi.com/news/sonos-plans-brighter-and-brighter-wireless-music-future
“We’ve looked really hard at it”, says Tom. “Of course we want to make sure we’re not missing anything and we feel pretty good that we’re not. There are arguments you could make about deeper bit depth, but we are unable to make a meaningful argument on sample rate. We tried, we can’t – the math just isn’t there.”
Giles Martin agrees: “There’s a huge, cheap miscommunication about high-resolution music. "
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Improving their product and catering to every whim a customer may have are two different things. Demanding functionality a product never had or even desires to has nothing to do with Sonos not listening to customers.

Customers asked for Amazon Music service on Sonos which I never thought would happen. But it was released by Sonos yesterday having partnered with Amazon to be the first I know of to add that capability. Sounds like listening to customers to me ...the ones using Sonos for what it was designed for not the ones demanding a redesign (unneeded).
Badge
Err.. There already is a Sonos CONNECT. And, although Sonos haven't totally killed the suggestion, to convert the Desktop Controller into a free Sonos Player would be commercially questionable, to say the least.

Yes, I've a Sonos Connect and 2 play:1... In my configuration, another Sonos connect at the office is not possible, but a free sonos player... This would by commercially acceptable to provide a free licence for software Sonos player with Sonos hardware, don't you think ?

They do, and they care more about delivering something of real value.
http://www.whathifi.com/news/sonos-plans-brighter-and-brighter-wireless-music-future
There’s a huge, cheap miscommunication about high-resolution music

I agree with this. But with some promotional, I bought HD Flac on Qobuz instead of 16/44.1. And my Sonos can't play them, I'm obliged to convert them. Native HD support could be great.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No a software version (which doesn't exist for pc or Mac) would be a disaster for Sonos as it was with squeezebox. Many a person happily running their software version of squeeze box (soft squeeze) from a now defunct product line (and Dont think for one minute the free software version didn't aid its demise)
Native HD support could be great.
I've lost count of how many times this issue's been covered. Sonos -- justifiably in my view -- can see no reason to support hi-res content. As for downconversion, it's hugely wasteful of bandwidth -- CPU and network -- to convert hi-res files each and every time they're played. Do it once, and store the result in your Sonos library.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Don't you think? Yea everyone wants something for free these days it appears.
Badge
Native HD support could be great.
I've lost track of how many times this issue's been covered. Sonos -- justifiably in my view -- can see no reason to support hi-res content. As for downconversion, it's hugely wasteful of bandwidth -- CPU and network -- to convert hi-res files each and every time they're played. Do it once, and store the result in your Sonos library.

Sorry, I don't talk about HD streaming, juste playing HD flac from my local library. No bandwidth problem.
Badge
Don't you think? Yea everyone wants something for free these days it appears.

Yes, of course. That's why I bought Sonos product...

When I bought a CD on Amazon : they provide a dematerialized version freely... I don't think that impact their business...
No bandwidth problem.
Unless you have a fully wired Sonos system, there's SonosNet (or even WiFi) bandwidth to consider. 'HD' files can require up to 6 times as much as a regular FLAC file.
Sorry, I don't talk about HD streaming, juste playing HD flac from my local library. No bandwidth problem.

ratty is talking about local bandwidth, not internet bandwidth. There is no reason to task your local LAN and/or CPU with the extra burden of transmitting, then down-converting, Hires music when you can do it once yourself and be done with it.