Answered

User technique for reducing volume slider already set to low?

• 25 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 25 replies

I have several Sonos speakers. I want to reduce the volume of just one speaker. How can is this best done?

What I do at the moment on my Andorid app is this:

(1) First tap the volume dot for the whole system. This shows the volume settings for each speaker. I often play at a low volume, such as setting number “9” which means there isn’t enough space on the slider to tap to the left of the volume indicator dot.

(2) Next I tap to the right of the dot (which increases the volume) and then use the smartphone’s volume control buttons to lower that particular slider’s setting to.

That’s a very clumsy way of doing it. Is there a simpler and better way?

icon

Best answer by ratty 25 August 2022, 18:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Lower it all the way, then tap to the right.

If you consistently play a speaker at low volume why not make use of the ‘volume limit’ feature in the room settings. It’s actually a scaling factor so if, for example, the ‘limit’ is set at 25% it means that that room’s slider needs to go fully right to 100% to yield a volume of 25%. You may find it makes volume adjustment for quiet speakers rather more manageable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It is clumsy as you say, I normally use the speaker controls.

Alexa will work as well (ie "Living room Quieter or Living room Volume 3).

Think Alexa has 1 to 10 for volume control.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

make use of the ‘volume limit’ feature in the room settings. It’s actually a scaling factor so if, for example, the ‘limit’ is set at 25% it means that that room’s slider needs to go fully right to 100% to yield a volume of 25%.

@ratty  That’s interesting. I will experiment with it as it may be the answer. Thank you.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Lower it all the way, then tap to the right.

@jgatie  I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of that. However when I tried it on my Android phone, three rapid taps had the effect of zooming the screen and making further taps impossible. Grrr!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Sarno 

Thanks for your post!

As it’s unmentioned so far, I thought I’d jump in with the suggestion to use Sonos Voice Control (SVC) with a command such as “Hey Sonos, set the volume in Baby Room to 8”. This will set that room’s volume to the specific value without affecting the rest of the group. With the explicit room name mentioned, you need not be in that room for the command to work, nor does that room need to be a device with SVC enabled on it. You would, of course, need to set SVC up on at least one device in your system.

Add voice services to Sonos

SVC can co-exist on speaker alongside Alexa, but not with Google Assistant.

I hope this helps.