USELESS UPDATES!!!

• 18 October 2018
  • 21 replies

I bought 6 play 1, 3 play 3, 1 play 5, a play bar, a sub, Conect and connect amp. I TOTALLY REGRET OF BUYING ALL THIS USELESS GEAR. Every time there is a new update i have to set up everything again, every time I have to sent a report that goes no where. I am totally fed up with this software, I am stucked with almost usd 10.000 of sound equipment that takes me 2 full days to reset everyone there is an update. PLEASE DO NOT UPDATE THE SOFTWARE ANY MORE, EVERYTIME YOU TRY TO FIX A BUG ITS WORST!!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Updates … some people love them … some people hate them …. rarely any bugs in updates. If you are having troubles you most likely are getting IP address issues with other devices in your house. Set permanent IP addresses for your Sonos and most used network devices and you will most likely never have update troubles. It really is your network with the problems.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What Chris said
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
It's the experience of more and more frequent updates for features that I will never use - most often relating to iTunes ( I no longer have any Apple gear in my house ) - or services that aren't available in my country. I can't perform a simple task with my controller because Sonos has chosen to disable the feature until I upgrade to make use of an unrelated feature!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It's the experience of more and more frequent updates for features that I will never use - most often relating to iTunes ( I no longer have any Apple gear in my house ) - or services that aren't available in my country. I can't perform a simple task with my controller because Sonos has chosen to disable the feature until I upgrade to make use of an unrelated feature!

Then turn automatic updates off and ensure your phone/tablet doesn't automatically update the apps

YOU are 100% in control of whether or not to uddate
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
[quote=Stuart_W]
Then turn automatic updates off and ensure your phone/tablet doesn't automatically update the apps

The apps on phone and desktop are crippled if you don't update. You may have control over the update but at the expense of not being able to do things with your system. This morning's pending update prevented me from doing anything with my library as all the menu options were disabled.

As has been mentioned on these forums over the years, you only have to let one guest onto your home network to trigger a cascade of Sonos updates.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
And as has been mentioned On the forum over rthe years rsservingbip addresses means no update problems.

Only a few updates have been Apple related. They are starting to roll out hardware faster then years before with a llot of gen 2 coming out

If you tell phone not to auto update apps there will be no forcing. Problem of forced is if phone updates it’s app.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
[

I'm not sure this is entirely true, see thread below for an example. If an individual who develops apps for Sonos can get caught up, it shows that regular users are pretty much screwed unless they put their units in quarantine.

Imo we need a way to roll back versions -one mistake and your hardware/software is bricked is not a reasonable situation for customers to be put in.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/controller-refuses-to-add-surrounds-because-9-2-is-pending-6814099
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos has never showed any intention of facilitating role backs. No matter how many dozens complain.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
[

I'm not sure this is entirely true, see thread below for an example. If an individual who develops apps for Sonos can get caught up, it shows that regular users are pretty much screwed unless they put their units in quarantine.

Imo we need a way to roll back versions -one mistake and your hardware/software is bricked is not a reasonable situation for customers to be put in.

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/controller-refuses-to-add-surrounds-because-9-2-is-pending-6814099

Ok. So it does seem that if you want to add new components you need to update but you are still 100% in control of whether or not or when to update.

As to rolling back as Chris says it is very unlikely. I think there may be a handful of cases where Sonos have facilitated roll backs for very specific and narrow reasons but I cannot see them maintaining old software as ultimately supporting that would be a nightmare.

FWIW I do think that the recent decision to remove many settings and set-up abilities from desktop controllers is a massive mistake especially as there doesn't seem to be a valid technical reason for so-doing. Even though I do use my mobile controllers a lot if I'm on my Mac then I use the controller there and it's not unknown to use the settings therein.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Ok. So it does seem that if you want to add new components you need to update but you are still 100% in control of whether or not or when to update.

Again I'm not sure this is 100% true. The poster was only trying to move a speaker to surround. It was part of his system and everything was on 9.1. Couldn't do it without upgrading.

I see the "Sonos has never " argument alot here.
IMO Their record no longer deserves this defense. Sonos had never bricked hardware. Now done twice. Sonos has never removed so many software features we paid for at once.
There are some potential issues if Sonos were to have some sort of rollback feature. Users will have the potential of messing up speakers and functions they use that are not supported in the version they wish to rollback to. Sonos would have to deal with that. Then there are security updates and one-off features that people on older versions will insist are easy and should be added to the version of their choose. Many will not accept that the version they chose is unsupported.

And although I know people don't want to hear it, but Sonos does exist to make money. They cannot pay employees, support existing products, or develop new products and features without revenue. Currently the only source of revenue is product sales. And customers who aren't on the current version can't buy new products, pretty much by definition. Although Sonos does want and need to make customers happy, making it easier for customers to stay on old versions and never provide any revenue isn't exactly in Sonos best interest. Those customers could eventually upgrade when there is a product or feature they want, sure. or Sonos could develop some other revenue model (like support fees), but it's hard to say that that is really much of an improvement, for Sonos or it's customers...IMO anyway.

I see this as a catch-22 situation. There isn't exactly a solution that has no drawbacks.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I see this as a catch-22 situation. There isn't exactly a solution that has no drawbacks.

Sure there's all kinds of straw men one can envision if you look at this issue through a Sonos centric lens. Current situation means that all drawbacks are borne by the customer. People are waking up to this. The next round of devices bricked will be interesting if this continues.

Sonos has our money. We Shouldn't risk bricking or losing features or to set surrounds because the desktop controller knows an update exists. By the way did you catch that from that other thread: everything on 9.1, desktop control on 9.1 but knows there's an update. Can't adjust 5.1 set up.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4

If you tell phone not to auto update apps there will be no forcing. Problem of forced is if phone updates it’s app.

I don't have auto-updating.
That still doesn't fix forced updates of apps and the desktop controller by disabling features until you've updated. Sonos also tells you functionality will be reduced if you don't update. I don't need updates for services and hardware I don't use or own.

Sure there's all kinds of straw men one can envision if you look at this issue through a Sonos centric lens.

I don't see how companies needing to make a profit is a straw man.

Current situation means that all drawbacks are borne by the customer. People are waking up to this. The next round of devices bricked will be interesting if this continues.

Sonos has been supporting these seldom products and functions for years. The burden has been on Sonos to do so up till now. Whether customers are due support for whatever number of years after purchase is debatable, regardless of how many users use the product/feature is debatable. But you're right that these things don't matter to the customers effected, and when that group of disgruntled customers get large, it does get interesting. I do think the negative PR events becomes cumulative, and tends to overshadow positive news, at least on these forums.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
[quote=melvimbe][quote=Peagle].
Sonos has been supporting these seldom products and functions for years. The burden has been on Sonos to do so up till now. Whether customers are due support for whatever number of years after purchase is debatable, regardless of how many users use the product/feature is debatable.

Sonos just needs to create a mechanism for a support-market to exist. I don't need to go to the manufacturer of an expensive TV or car to keep it going after the warranty is expired. Sonos have expensive kit that is totally dependent on their continued investment.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I don't see how companies needing to make a profit is a straw man.
M.

Dude ^case in point, give your head a shake no one is arguing they shouldn't make a profit.

Also this nonsense:

"Then there are security updates and one-off features that people on older versions will insist are easy and should be added to the version of their choose. Many will not accept that the version they chose is unsupported..

Updates … some people love them … some people hate them …. rarely any bugs in updates. If you are having troubles you most likely are getting IP address issues with other devices in your house. Set permanent IP addresses for your Sonos and most used network devices and you will most likely never have update troubles. It really is your network with the problems.

How do I set permanent up addresses? #Sonosupdatescrewedupmysystemagain
Userlevel 2
Badge +4

How do I set permanent up addresses? #Sonosupdatescrewedupmysystemagain

https://www.howtogeek.com/184310/ask-htg-should-i-be-setting-static-ip-addresses-on-my-router/
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
[

Yet another update yesterday that crippled my controller, forcing me to do an update. Due to all the disabled menu items I was unable to modify my library until the update was done.

100% control is more like 10% control.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Setting static/reserved/permanent IP addresses is done from your router's DHCP page, just how varies by router but it is usually explained in the router manual.
I bought 6 play 1, 3 play 3, 1 play 5, a play bar, a sub, Conect and connect amp. I TOTALLY REGRET OF BUYING ALL THIS USELESS GEAR. Every time there is a new update i have to set up everything again, every time I have to sent a report that goes no where. I am totally fed up with this software, I am stucked with almost usd 10.000 of sound equipment that takes me 2 full days to reset everyone there is an update. PLEASE DO NOT UPDATE THE SOFTWARE ANY MORE, EVERYTIME YOU TRY TO FIX A BUG ITS WORST!!!!

From my experience Sonos don't care about any user or their system - That's why when there's an update, the 'LATER' option is automatically disabled. There is NO LATER - you either do as Sonos command or you don't get your music, Simples - Sonos expect you to update - immediately, when they tell you, and on every device.

They think they are bigger than the customer, an approach they will regret when the time comes to renew their already dated and vastly overrated kit, and that terribly antiquated 1990s fixed interface of tiny images and even tinier font.. (they tell me I shouldn't use it on a desktop)... nuff said