Question

Use SonosNet as Wifi repeater/mesh for Laptops, Tablets, mobile devices?

• 27 November 2013
  • 19 replies

According to the FAQ at https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1589/related/1, it sounds like you can set up your wireless devices (laptop, tablet, etc.) to use SonosNet as a wireless mesh for the home. Is that correct? I thought SonosNet was proprietary and could only be used by Sonos components. Allowing SonosNet to be used by non-Sonos devices is a VERY value-added feature. This means that having a Play:1 in your distant room, for example, would give Wifi access to the network/internet to mobile devices in that room (via SonosNet). I see a VERY good benefit for having additional Sonos components (including Sonos Bridge) in that regard. Saves you from buying Wifi Repeaters to extend the wireless range for tablets & computers in your house. Did I read the FAQ correctly? I hope so 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
It works with my Android tablette.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Yes, that's correct. With an Android device associated to a Sonos system, you can then follow the steps in the FAQ you linked in order to allow the device to connect to the wireless SonosNet for WiFi communication.
Thank you. I tested this yesterday and found that it works pretty well -- except one oddity: the Ookla SpeedTest.net app would usually not be able to connect to their servers to perform a speed test. When it was able to, it would be interrupted during the test. Switching the Wifi back to my router's, no issues whatsoever. Either way, I'm excited that this mesh network is available to connect to.

Thanks for the replies, you two.
Works great on my android phone, but does anyone know if I can connect my Windows 8 laptop. If it is possible how do I do it?

Thanks in anticipation.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Works great on my android phone, but does anyone know if I can connect my Windows 8 laptop. If it is possible how do I do it?

Thanks in anticipation.

Currently, only Android devices are able to connect to SonosNet as an alternative to WiFi. Computers and iOS devices are not able to do so, I'm afraid.

However, you can connect the laptop to the Ethernet port on the back of any Sonos component (wired or wireless) to connect back to the router through Sonos.

Thanks in anticipation.

Totally possible, just retrieve ssid/wpa2 passwd using rooted android device and create the wifi connection on your PC or iOS devices
FYI on my Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) I downloaded the free app Best WIFI to switch between Sonosnet and regular WIFI depending on which had a better signal.  That way you do not have to manually keep switching depending on where you are in the house.  I turned off the setting to notify on signal strength, it was annoying.

Thanks in anticipation.

did so and successfully added ssid and pw, however i cant't establish a connection on my w 8.1 laptop... any suggestions? thanks!!
I managed to create a connection with my macbook but impossible to do the same with my laptop.

I get SSID/KEY from my rooted Android phone. I create a new wifi WPA2 network on my macbook and ... MAGIC !

BUT i did the same thing with my Windows 7 Laptop.... FAIL !!!

Why ? Is it a windows problem ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Technically the Sonos wireless network isn't WiFi. It may be similar to WiFi, but it isn't actually WiFi. Android and MacOS are both based on Unix/Linux, so there may be something about the Sonos network that is preventing Windows from connecting, but that Android and MacOS aren't concerned with and thus allows them to connect. I would imagine that if MacOS works, iOS devices would probably be able to connect as well.

Just remember though... non-Sonos devices using SonosNet can impact your ability to stream music all of a sudden. It's been revealed somewhere else here that Sonos uses some kind of QOS on their network, most likely to prioritize streaming. But to what extent it's being used and how it impacts other devices or data was not explained.
Thank you for your detailed answer !

I confirm, I connected my old iPad too on SonosNet.
But so bad news for windows laptop... I will stay on my MacBook when I'm far from my home WiFi.
If it's really a protocol or security or technical or commercial limitation I hope it will be deactivated one day...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can also hook some type of access point to the Ethernet plug on the Sonos unit....or your laptop direct to sonos unit as was mentioned.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I have just discovered this and it's faster than my WiFi connection, which is cluttered with my families devises . Its like I have my own exclusive WiFi!
Badge
Hi folks,

Is there a set of instructions for doing this:

"However, you can connect the laptop to the Ethernet port on the back of any Sonos component (wired or wireless) to connect back to the router through Sonos."

I want to use our SonosNet (which is vastly superior to the house Wifi so we use it to extend our smartphone network range) to allow my mother-in-law to access the internet on her PC. She lives in an annex just to the rear of the house and I can put a Sonos player in there and it gets a signal beautifully. I understand wireless is awkward - but if I link up PC with Sonos player via ethernet cable, what do I need to do then in terms of network config to allow laptop to run over Sonosnet?
Nothing, it's automatic, the PC will pick up an IP address from your router and behave as if it's connected directly to the router.
Badge
Thanks and feel sheepish - tried it anyway after I posted and you are correct, picked it all up and connected to Internet via router - thanks for speedy response!
Badge
Yes, I found out SonosNET acts like a wifi receiver as it was messing up my home network.
I attached a Play:5 to a Netgear Access Point (actually, a degraded router) assuming it would benefit my connection for Sonos.
Guess what happened?
Now the Access Point had TWO parallel connections to the main router and the (KPN ZTE) router could not handle this, and got unreachable from time to time. Now I understand. After tearing my hair out for months of troubles.

Not understanding what happened, why I lost my internet connection, I just disconnected my AP from the router, and suddenly I regained internet access. IMPOSSIBLE I thought. Unless? Naaaahhh, can't be. But yes, when I disconnected the Sonos from the router, tadaa, internet connection gone. Reconnect Sonos to AP (and PC), internet back.

Now for Wifi performance, better not use Sonos.
Did Ookla Speedtest, got only 5 MBps thru SonosNET, and a full 70 Mbps thru AP-router wired connection.

Pfiew. Done with that.
I found out SonosNET acts like a wifi receiver
It doesn't actually. SonosNet is independent from WiFi. However networks can be extended over SonosNet, by plugging third party devices into the remote Ethernet ports.

The Sonos unit wired to your router could communicate over SonosNet with your PLAY:5. When you wired the PLAY:5 to the AP a loop developed, because it could also communicate via the AP.

If the AP was wired back to the router Sonos would generally have resolved the situation itself, blocking its SonosNet connection and breaking the loop. There are however some routers which cause trouble when Sonos units are wired across them.

If the AP was operating as a wireless extender things get more complicated for several reasons. Some main routers don't take too kindly to a loop appearing between their wired and WiFi segments. They can block one or other segment entirely. Moreover wireless extenders can mangle the MAC addresses of devices attached to them, which could have sown additional confusion.
Badge
I found out SonosNET acts like a wifi receiver
It doesn't actually. SonosNet is independent from WiFi. However networks can be extended over SonosNet, by plugging third party devices into the remote Ethernet ports.

The Sonos unit wired to your router could communicate over SonosNet with your PLAY:5. When you wired the PLAY:5 to the AP a loop developed, because it could also communicate via the AP.

Yes, thanks for explaining. My language was inprecise anyway, the result the same.
The Play:5 created a second route from AP wired to Play:5 SonosNet to Connect:Amp wired to main router.
Now I have unplugged the Play 5, disconnecting the loop and gone are the conflicts in my LAN.
Relieved.