Question

Updating Sonos Controller on MacBook Air

• 28 February 2018
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
When new updates arrive from Sonos they are indicated on all my devices, which is excellent. The updates install from the Apple app store for my iPads and iPhones and just work. items i.e. iPads, iPhone. However, when i want to update on a macbook air or my Mac mini. It never works from the app on each of these devices i get error messages . Why?

i have to download software from the Sonos site and update.

It just seems that there is something lacking

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
What MacOS are you on?. Latest update requires 10.10
Userlevel 2
Badge
but it has happened on other releases
Hey there, Old Geezer. Thanks for posting. Do you get a particular error message when attempting to update?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yes that the update has failed try again.
Did there happen to be an error code? We recently published an FAQ about update errors, that may prove useful.
Userlevel 2
Badge
There is no error code. It always says an u expected error occurred please try again. I try and get the same message so I go to the Sonos web site download the update and install in the applications folder then all is well. I have just go used to it. It’s a shame your app is not in the App Store for Macs this may solve the issue.
Userlevel 7
This may not be the exact cause of your issue but it won't hurt to try. Your Macbook as a security feature that prevents 3rd party Apps from installing. You can set one of three options as shown in the graphic. Click the link to get more in-depth instructions/options.

Cheers!

https://mac-how-to.gadgethacks.com/how-to/open-third-party-apps-from-unidentified-developers-macos-0158095/

Userlevel 2
Badge
thank you for the detailed response. I have checked my setting and they are exactly as you describe.
Userlevel 7
thank you for the detailed response. I have checked my setting and they are exactly as you describe.

OK, are you getting the pop-up shown below? If so read further in the link I provided on how to allow apps to install.

Userlevel 2
Badge
I do not get the pop up just the message.
Userlevel 7
OK, this may have nothing to do with your issues but doing a reset of the NVRAM (PRAM) can't hurt. At best it may improve performance in other areas. :8 . Here's the link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Cheers!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thank you for your time and suggestions they are appreciated. When there is a new update then i use my iPad to update my 8 Sonos 1's and 1 play bar all iOS devices i.e. iPads and iPhones. this works every time. The my macbook air and mac mini I do last. Yes, it is a work round but its one I can live with at the moment and its easy. I am pleased with my Sonos system, tried using Echo Dots but much happier with an iOS device and my laptop. The Mac Mini is used as the media library.
Userlevel 7
Glad you're pleased! Cheers!
Big thanks to AJTrek1 for the suggestions! 🆒

Old Geezer: While I understand this workaround works well for you now, I'd really like to get a solution for you. Whenever you have a moment to spare, feel free to give our support technicians a call. We'd like to get to the bottom of this and make sure you can update without a hassle.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Than you I will do that next week.

Regards