Updating 7.2 to 7.3 error 30

Badge
I recently moved in with my girlfriend and we're merging our Sonos systems (but them for her for Christmas). She had her two play 1s at 7.3. My many speakers were at 7.2. Plug it all in, and the system tries to update my 7.2 speakers. Update failed with error 30, so I tried one at a time, no luck. Tried hard wiring to router, restarting router and cable modem, tried a couple of different speakers, hard reset (holding the play button down while plugging it in), none of these things worked. Any other suggestions? Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Since you are trying to merge the two, at least one of your systems would have to be factory reset and added to the other. Try resetting again. Sometimes the Pause/Mute button is not held in long enough and the amber/white flash does not occur. Follow these instructions exactly:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1107
Badge
Since you are trying to merge the two, at least one of your systems would have to be factory reset and added to the other. Try resetting again. Sometimes the Pause/Mute button is not held in long enough and the amber/white flash does not occur. Follow these instructions exactly:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1107

Thank you for the suggestion. No luck unfortunately. I had to do the whole thing with "press the volume up button and pause button to hear the chime to sync to your system", so pretty sure the reset worked, but alas, the update still didn't work.
Badge
This is interesting.. I powered down all of our speakers, and tried to update my windows controller from 7.2 to 7.3.. I get the following error (see image). Thoughts? This is the same PC that I'm typing this response on, so clearly Internet works.

Badge
Ignore my last message about the PC controller not updating, I got that update working.. regardless, same issue with updating the speakers 😞
Ignore my last message about the PC controller not updating, I got that update working.. regardless, same issue with updating the speakers =(

The next step is to submit a diagnostic shortly after the error occurs. Then post the reference number here. Sonos support will take a look at the diagnostic and get back to you.

See here for instructions on submitting a diagnostic:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142
I wonder what would happen if you unplugged all of the speakers that were at version 7.3, and connected to the speakers that were left (on 7.2) and tried updating them? Assuming it was successful, you could then plug back in the other speakers.

Frankly, I can't quite figure out why you'd be getting this error.

Huh, looking at the FAQ for error 30, here's what it says, in part:

If you own more than one Sonos product:

Retry the update at least one more time.
Unplug all but one of the Sonos products in your home from power. If you have a Sonos product wired to your router leave it connected to power and unplug all other Sonos products in your home.

Retry the update using the Sonos app. If the update completes successfully, connect one more of your Sonos products to power, wait up to a minute for the product to appear in your Sonos app, and attempt to update when prompted.

Continue this process until all of your products have been updated. If you encounter an error while attempting to update one of your products, connect that product to your router with an Ethernet cable and attempt the update one last time. If the update is successful, you can unplug the product from your router and return it to its original location.
Badge
Unfortunately I've tried this. Right now I have 1 speaker plugged in, a 7.2 Play 1.. no luck. Tried updating from an iPhone, Android phone, and PC controller. I also tried this with a 7.2 Playbar in case it was a specific issue with the Play 1.. both speakers were, at the time, plugged into the router via Ethernet cable.

The only other thing I can think of is something wrong with my Internet connection as I have been getting some issues logging into gmail/etc...
Indeed, that's odd. Normally, since you're having issues getting to gmail, etc, I'd recommend rebooting the router (and modem, if there is one), but you'd said in the first post that you had. But I'll certainly echo jgatie's suggestion as extremely valid. Submit that diagnostic, and either post the number here, or contact them in some other form, so that you can get someone to look at it.
Badge
Good point about posting the number here.
Confirmation number:

Thanks!
I too have been trying to get help from Sonos on this and have teached the same point as you. I have two Sonos Play 5's and a bridge that i didn't actually use before which i now connected to try and improve reliability I can successfully update one of the play %'s and the bridge to version 7.3, but the other will not upgrade to 7.3 from 7.2.

I have done hard reset to all play devices. I have tried disconnecting all but the one un-updated device. Wifi or ethernet it makes no difference. I get error code 30 each time.

I thave used twitter to report my error submission reference to Sonos.

Im getting really slow replies from Sonos. Over 4 days, taking about 24hrs to get guidance , follow it and fail before i get another message. Come on Sonos, please help us get this sorted.
. It doesn't sound like an isolated case.
Badge
So I *might* have found my problem.
https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/215721143-I-have-a-TP-Link-TC-7610-modem-and-I-m-experiencing-issues-with-my-eero-network
Apparently my Eero doesn't work well with the TP-Link TC-7610 Cable Modem (the cable modem is brand new as the old one died after 7+ years of service).

SO off to try a new cable modem and see if that works.
kiki le schnoodle - do you by any chance have the same setup as me?

In the next day or two I'll post back here to let you know how it goes. Thank you all for the help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
How's it going with the update after those changes wizawuza?
Badge
How's it going with the update after those changes wizawuza?
Just ordered the cable modem a few minutes ago =)
Will let you all know very soon!
Fingers crossed
Wizawuza, I am pleased you feel you are making some progress. I do not think the issue for me is my modem and suspect for you possibly also. I have two Sonos play 5 on my system and one bridge. One play 5 will not update to 7.3 from Sonos very 7.2 whilst the other play 5 and the bridge have updated fine to verify 7.3 and are working ok. So you see, if the issue was withy modem, I don't see how only one Sonos device will not update whilst the others do.
I'm using TP-link Archie VR900
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Wizawuza, I am pleased you feel you are making some progress. I do not think the issue for me is my modem and suspect for you possibly also. I have two Sonos play 5 on my system and one bridge. One play 5 will not update to 7.3 from Sonos very 7.2 whilst the other play 5 and the bridge have updated fine to verify 7.3 and are working ok. So you see, if the issue was withy modem, I don't see how only one Sonos device will not update whilst the others do.
I'm using TP-link Archie VR900

It could have to do with the location on the network that that PLAY:5 is taking, but it's hard to say for sure. Do you mind trying again and sending a diagnostic when you get that error? I'll take a look for you. Just post the diagnostic number here.
Diagnostic reference number is 7575872
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks. I pulled up the conversation you had with us online as well. I may have missed it going through all the notes, but have you tried rebooting your modem and router, then your Sonos player?

The error message coming up in the diagnostic is a failure to connect to the update servers, actually, it's a failure to resolve the IP of those servers. Specifically, from that player.

The things to test would be a different controller, and checking in the router that the player isn't getting blocked somehow by the firewall or device restrictions. Can you check for access control on the router? If it is a Google Wifi TPlink then it may be set to paused under the family plan in the settings.

Rebooting the router, as I suggested, is a good way to make sure any odd cache isn't getting in the way, and possibly trigger a fresh DNS as well.

If you're still running into trouble at that point, I'd advise giving us a call on our support line. The team will take a look at the system and dig into why that player can't update.
Thanks for the advice. Of course rebooting has been tried previously and no improvement. I doubt MAC address blocking is the issue as that play 5 always used to stream, but I will check the router settings.
I was finally able to update to Sonos version 7.3 after releasing the fixed IP address, reassigning a new one and restarting the router modem. I fail to see an error with the original config but reassigning the Sonos IP address seemed to do the trick
Badge
Glad to see your error has been fixed. Thankfully mine has been too once I changed to a new cable modem. Yay!
The problem with duplicate IP addresses is that they can't be seen in normal router's IP listing. You'll get one device, or the other showing up, never both, and unless you keep a separate list to compare for changes, you'll never know. It's one of the frustrating things about most (all?) router listings, they're fairly static, i.e. as of the time you make the request.

What might be much more helpful is a list of all devices that connected to a particular IP address over the last X hours, or something like that. I've never seen anything like it, but would love to see it, as it might be a lot clearer to many who deal with devices that need much more constant connection to the router (like a Sonos speaker does).