Updates without wired internet via the Sonos APP

• 9 April 2018
  • 8 replies

Updates by cell based internet connection

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I am posting to see if there is any demand from others that there be an OPTION to update the Sonos system via the Sonos ap on a phone/tablet with a cellular data connection. The ap will have to store the update until connecting to a system in need of an update or simultaneously be connected to the Sonos network and download via the cellular connection. Reason- I have a camp located in a remote area with no hope for a wired internet connection, so everytime an update is released I must load all 8 of my devices and transport them home (2 hours). There was an option to keep using the controller (ios ap) without updating but that has recently gone away. I am sure Sonos systems are on boats etc that will encounter the same issue.
Each model of player (and possibly each hardware revision thereof) requires a different firmware image. Storing a mass of these in the controller is hardly practical. Besides, the players need to validate themselves with the Sonos servers before they're allowed to download.

You can hook a Sonos system up to a cellular internet connection via a hotspot, but you can't use the same device to control it. You'd need to use a second phone/tablet as controller.
Yes - I’ve used a hotspot but (what I know) you have to register all devices to the hotspot - update - then register all devices back to the permanent Wi-Fi router. Is this scenario correct? If only the router could bridge to the hotspot. I agree with you that different images are a challenge.
If you run in BOOST setup (SonosNet mode), then all you'd need do is to store the hotspot's WiFi credentials in the system. They'd be ignored during normal use, but if the wired connection to the router was removed the system should eventually switch over to the hotspot WiFi. It could take a few minutes to all flip over.

If the system's already in WiFi mode then you could -- temporarily or permanently -- configure the hotspot with the same SSID/key as the router. Power down the router and eventually the system should switch over to the hotspot.

In either case, it would be better not to enable the hotspot if it's not required. This would prevent the Sonos units from accidentally straying onto it.

An alternative approach is, as you hinted, to connect the router's WAN interface to the hotspot. There are routers which offer a WiFi-as-WAN (sometimes called 'WISP') feature, such as travel routers. You could also use a WiFi bridge to provide a wired connection to the existing router. In fact there are many multi-function devices which can act as travel routers, WiFi APs, repeaters or bridges.
Perfect! Thank you! I have a boost attached, so I assume the boost configured route is the best? BTW how can you determine if the boost is working? I still have skips in music when a lot of phones are in the area it seems.
If you have an actual BOOST and it's the only component wired to your router then it must be working. It's the bridge between SonosNet -- and hence the players -- and the wired segment.

Where is the music coming from when it skips?
Line in source
Uncompressed Line-In is the most demanding source in terms of wireless bandwidth/latency. Try setting Line-In to Compressed.