updated my PC Sonos application without my consent.

• 15 September 2020
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I do not care to move to S2 but prefer to leave my S1 alone. From one day to the next, Sonos disabled items on the menu of my pc application without my permission to update. What gives Sonos the right to do this?  It’s my pc not theirs. I used to be a Sonos advocate but not any more.

20 replies

What have you lost?  Not aware that anything was lost between S1 and S2.

Btw, you only licence the software, it’s not your property at all.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you for your response.

1. Could not move to S2 so the lost function relates to S1 that occured from one day to the next.
  2. Lost the ability to manage “music library settings,” “service settings,” “add radio station,” “update music library,” “settings.”  Also lost the descriptions on most of the sonos panel icons.
  3. I repeat that I declined all the never ending requests to update from Sonos.
  4. That’s an interesting idea that it’s “not your property” at all. I am a software developer and when a customer buys software, they own it. That’s pretty universal…. whether it’s large mainframes or small client servers. They can choose to up date that software -- whether it is freely given by my company or by a paid maintenance fee. So, I disagree with you.  It is my property. Just like the operating system on my pc is mine.  I can choose to upgrade to a more current level or stay at the current -- perhaps obsolete --release level.
  5. So, what gives Sonos the right to unilaterally update ( or in this case downgrade) my software on my desktop. Of the dozens of software vendors running applications on my desktops and laptops, none of them has updated their software…. except sonos. 
  6. Your arguement might have a smidgen of possibility if my standalone Sonos application interacted outside of my network. It doesn’t.  It’s standalone. 

None of the things you mentioned has been removed.  My up to date S1 app has all these.  I suggest you uninstall the S1 app, download it again and connect to existing system.  If that doesn’t work call Sonos Support.  Your entire rant is based on a complete misconception.

Fine, Believe you own the software.  Alternatively, read the terms and conditions you have signed up to.

Userlevel 1
Badge

How insulting can you be. You sound so knowledgeable and at the same time so arrogant. You must be a Sonos staffer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

John is right though. Plus the PC app cannot self update.

How insulting can you be. You sound so knowledgeable and at the same time so arrogant. You must be a Sonos staffer.

I am reasonably knowledgeable, I think, but just a Sonos nerd, not a Sonos staffer.  They are clearly identified as such and are invariably polite, which I have to admit I sometimes fail to be.

This is a public forum, and if you post with the tone you did, and get your facts wrong, then you risk a robust response.  You could always have taken your complaint privately to Sonos, rather than use the user forum.

I did offer you a piece of advice that I hope will resolve your issue, although I cannot be sure it will, obviously.

A further thought.  Missing options are often the consequence of a mismatch of versions between controller and system. It might be worth checking if one or other needs updating. 

Ironically it may be that the reason for the problem is that your controller needs an update, not that it has had one.

Userlevel 1
Badge

John, 

I apologize for my cutting remarks and I see that you indeed are quite knowledgeable. 

Perhaps I could beg some help from you. I’ve religiously updated my system for years...up until this June. At the S1 / S2 split, I read --  perhaps erroneously -- that updating your Sonos system, might cause some speakers to be isolated into S1 and S2 camps. With nearly a dozen speakers purchased over the years, I just didn’t want to control the sound system from two separate applications.  Furthermore, one of many great Sonos features was the ability group speakers in different configurations. The basic question is should I update?

Hi.  No worries, and i played my part in our getting off on the wrong foot.

What Sonos equipment do you have?

What versions are your desktop controller and system on?  (check this in Help, About My Sonos System in the desktop controller).

Updating within S1 will still be required from time to time, and you would be warned if an update would take you onto S2.

If you can just answer those questions for the moment, we can take it from there.

Edit: further thought.  In your Sonos account (online) you will find all the devices registered to your system.  Do any of these have ‘eligible for upgrade’ on them?  Those will be the ones that cannot join S2.

And, to further John’s point, it is possible for the speakers to update automatically, if you have the flag set in the Sonos app to allow them to do so, while the controller itself can’t. So it could potentially be a version mismatch, as he says, between the speakers and the client. And not an S2/S1 version, just a ‘dot’ update. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I really appreciate your help and expertise

Controller:  Version 11.1 and Build:  56076090

Speakers: 

Associated Product: 192.168.1.14
---------------------------------
Play:1: Garage
Serial Number: 78-28-CA-22-D2-B6:G
Version: 11.2.2 (build 57379200)
Hardware Version: 1.20.1.6-1.1
Series ID: A200
IP Address: 192.168.1.16
WM: 0
Play:1: Kitchen
Serial Number: 94-9F-3E-74-76-02:9
IP Address: 192.168.1.18
Playbar: Living Room
Serial Number: 5C-AA-FD-13-06-A5:1
Hardware Version: 1.9.1.10-1.0
Series ID: A100
IP Address: 192.168.1.13
Audio In: 
OTP: 
Sub: Living Room
Serial Number: B8-E9-37-67-A9-8E:A
Hardware Version: 1.8.2.5-1.0
IP Address: 192.168.1.23
OTP: 
Play:1: Living Room (LS)
Serial Number: 5C-AA-FD-25-72-48:0
Hardware Version: 1.8.3.7-1.0
Series ID: A101
IP Address: 192.168.1.21
OTP: 
Play:1: Living Room (RS)
Serial Number: 5C-AA-FD-25-71-68:E
Hardware Version: 1.8.3.7-1.0
Series ID: A101
IP Address: 192.168.1.22
OTP: 
Play:3: Office
Serial Number: 5C-AA-FD-53-4C-58:7
Hardware Version: 1.8.1.3-1.2
IP Address: 192.168.1.25
OTP: 
Beam: Porch
Serial Number: 94-9F-3E-C1-DE-EF:2
Hardware Version: 1.23.1.10-1.1
IP Address: 192.168.1.14
Audio In: 
Play:1: Porch (LS)
Serial Number: 78-28-CA-22-D0-C8:F
IP Address: 192.168.1.15
Play:1: Porch (RS)
Serial Number: 94-9F-3E-74-57-44:A
IP Address: 192.168.1.19

Note all your speakers are on 11.2.2, and your controller is on 11.1.

This can mean a version mismatch, but it doesn’t have to. I’ve seen instances where Sonos pushes an update to one type of speaker, and all the rest don’t get updated, but I do think in this case (and as usual), John is correct. I don’t have an S1 System to confirm, but I suspect if you update your Sonos client to the 11.2.2 version, and then go in and turn off automatic speaker updates, you’ll be fine. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you Bruce….. and John too.  I’ll update and post/

Yep. Good advice from Bruce. It will probably offer you an update when you go in. If not then there may be an 'update' at the top of the list of music sources. Failing that, Manage menu, check for software updates. 

I think you need a mobile app to switch off automatic system updates.

Ah...that, I didn’t know. I don’t use a desktop controller very often, and when I do, it’s the Mac version ;)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Worried about nothing. Updated perfectly.  Makes me think that maybe not everything posted on the Interner it true.

Thanks for helping me restore my trust in Sonos.

LOL. I’m pretty sure that if you got any information from the internet, including here, you should have a healthy skepticism. I don’t believe most of what I write here, either, much less read. ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

LOL. I’m pretty sure that if you got any information from the internet, including here, you should have a healthy skepticism. I don’t believe most of what I write here, either, much less read. ;)

Dont worry, Bruce: we don’t believe most of what you write here, either 😜

Note:

This post should not be believed! 

@disappointed . I am pleased that your problem is resolved.  You will now have to get your forum username changed to 'thrilled'. :) 

One further thought. All the speakers in your screenshot of About my System are S2 compatible.  If that is the full list of what you have tben you could (if you wished) move your whole system onto S2, with no need to split.