Update Problems

• 21 October 2018
  • 14 replies

This update is crap. HELP

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Read the release notes before you update. Helpful suggestion but a bit late, sorry.
Where are the release notes?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/updates-to-the-desktop-controller-coming-soon-6813300

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-9-2-automatic-updates-volume-limits-desktop-dock-and-more-6813791
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If the release notes don't answer any questions about some of the changes that were made, or you're having other issues with your Sonos system, some additional information would certainly be helpful. If you're having problems, a diagnostic from your system would give a Sonos employee lots of info, combined with a description of the issues you're experiencing.
It continues to say that the update failed, for me and my wife. I followed all the instructions for troubleshooting and nothing works
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Is there an error number you're getting in the Update Failed message? Are you able to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos app? If so, please post the confirmation number here so a Sonos employee can check things out.
Error 30
According to the FAQ at error codes, it seems like a reboot of each speaker you have might be in order.

Or, as Mike_V suggested, a simple submission of a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either posting the number here, or contacting Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
I'm just going to vent here because I need to. And I understand that my frustrations are rooted in the ever increasing, unnecessary complexity and hell of every bit of software on the planet right now, but Sonos epitomizes everything I hate about modern technology. If you ask anyone about streaming audio, they'll say, "Oh, SONOS is the BEST" (assuming you're not going to shell out $20K for some high end luxury garbage), so you get it, and there is nothing better that I've tried (and I've tried a few), but that doesn't mean that SONOS doesn't suck.

Today I had to UPDATE my SONOS software again. You know, I played albums and CD's for decades and they never had to UPDATE. I'm so tired of SONOS demanding that I UPDATE, which takes a while, breaks stuff, fails to update, then it updates all the boxes, which forces my wife to UPDATE, which at times creates a paradox where the updated SONOS won't update because my phone OS is too old so it forces me to update my phone which breaks something else in my phone and one time I was forced to toss out an old iPad because the hardware was too old for the new OS and SONOS was too new for the old OS and you might as well come to my house and put a gun to my head and steal my money, which is great for all the companies involved because I keep buying more junk, speaking of which I hate the fact that SONOS sets me up to have this whole audio experience and way to access my music, but wait, I can't just play it on my phone with my headphones because SONOS requires that you have a big white box because they are a hardware business so now I'm locked into a music paradigm that works EVERYWHERE, so long as "everywhere" means where you have a white box. Oh, and the interface is questionable, like all the others.

It would be easier for me to reinvent computer science from the ground up than it would be to get modern software companies to stop treating their customers like cattle to be milked and slaughtered. Y'all suck.
Noce vent. I have never had an issue with a Sonos update. Nor have any of my 20-ish friends and family with Sonos systems. I am sure your problems are very frustrating, but it is probably caused by your router screwing up IP addresses when the devices reboot as part of the update. Reserving IP addresses in your router would probably solve the problem.
I’m totally annoyed by suddenly not being able to have access to my Sonos. Won’t update. Tried all their suggested fixes. Now need to wait until Monday to speak with a live person!
Well, they do provide 24/7 support on both Twitter and Facebook. If you click on "Contact Us" at the bottom of this page, you'll get more information about that.
Being forced to update my app and Sonos devices (then join a “community” so I can comment to no-one in particular) just so I can adjust the volume is a terrible user experience. I want to watch something now, not spend 20 minutes updating my system. Nothing you do or say will change that. I am severely restraining myself from saying what I really feel here, but if this practice continues I will happily replace me entire sonos system.