Answered

Update Android App Without Google

• 22 June 2017
  • 8 replies

Hello,

In the past, I've received messages on the Sonos android app that the Sonos App has an update available and I would usually ignore it, providing everything is working reasonably well.
Today, however, for the first time, the android app would not let me access Sonos at all until I hit the red "Update" banner. Written above was "Sonos App Needs Updating".
When I hit Update, I am taken to the Google sign-in page.
I don't ever have my phone signed in to Google. I don't ever want to sign in to Google.
But now I can't operate Sonos from my phone.
Surely, considering I'm a paid up 'registered' Sonos owner, I could download the app directly from the Sonos website.
Or maybe I can? Is that possible?
Many thanks.
icon

Best answer by ratty 22 June 2017, 17:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I don't ever have my phone signed in to Google. I don't ever want to sign in to Google.
How do you obtain apps then? Non-Google app stores are unapproved and could potentially be contaminated with malware.

Surely, considering I'm a paid up 'registered' Sonos owner, I could download the app directly from the Sonos website.

Go to the Google Play app store. No other route is supported. If you happened to find an APK on a third party site the above warning would apply.
I don't need any apps other than Sonos. Or at least any app I do use came installed on my phone.
Ideally, I'd like to download the Sonos app from the Sonos website. Surely that would be a reputable source?
Maybe, but Sonos doesn't facilitate direct downloads. Go to http://www.sonos.com/support and the Android link takes you off to the Google Play store.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I hope this doesn't offend you, but apparently you've made a terrible mistake buying an Android device. It's the equivalent of buying an iPhone and suggesting you don't want to sign in to anything from Apple.

But now I can't operate Sonos from my phone.
Or maybe I can? Is that possible?
Many thanks.

Technically, you can't do a lot of stuff with your phone by taking this position.

The web site is fairly clear about where you can get the app from:
http://www.sonos.com/en-us/controller-app

There's an easy solution here. You create an account to use for updating your phone's apps. I'll be glad to address any technical concerns you may have around with that to explain why your position isn't advisable.
Hi Skelton,
Thanks for the response. No offence taken whatsoever!
I'm actually delighted with my Android phone and I didn't have to buy it either. It came free with my pretty cheap monthly plan. (Very common here in Ireland).
I would consider that I use my phone a lot but perhaps compared to other users, I don't really.
It's my camera, my texting machine, my phone(!), I listen to music I've bought and uploaded to it from my desktop computer.
I sometimes check when the bus or train is coming with it. I operate Sonos with it.
However, I do 99.99% of online activities on my desktop computer.
I've downloaded android apps before but I just don't use them.
So I suppose not everyone uses a smart phone in the same way.

My problem with Google is this: When I sign-in on my phone to update an independent app, it takes control of my whole phone. That really annoys me.
If it was a case of sign in for a necessary update every now and again, that would be fine but when I sign out, I lose my phone numbers, my contacts. I have to save them and reload them.
I'm not 100% sure how it works but when I had to update the Sonos desktop app on my Mac I didn't have to sign in to Google or Apple.
I've noticed that the app can also be downloaded from Amazon. Maybe this is a better option for me. But, like I said, it would be nice to get the Sonos app from Sonos, particularly since it's connected to a piece of hardware.
Heaven knows why syncing with Google wipes all your phone numbers, contacts, etc. Possibly it's because you're not routinely syncing.

You're correct though: you can install the Amazon Underground app (for which you do not need to visit the Google store) and through that you can install the Sonos controller from Amazon. I've not tried it though. All I did was click on the Sonos app on amazon.co.uk and it told me:
All other Android devices: Open the Amazon Underground on your device, then go to Menu → My Apps → Cloud → Refresh to see your newly purchased app to download and install.

Since you asked, the desktop apps are normal installer downloads for Windows and macOS; they don't need to be intermediated by any app store.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Hi Skelton,
I've downloaded android apps before but I just don't use them.
So I suppose not everyone uses a smart phone in the same way.

That's a fair point. I suspect if you didn't have the following annoyances you might find more use from some apps. I know I've continued to add more and more use with things like streaming music, weather, and Uber-like services. Maybe we can get to the bottom of them...

My problem with Google is this: When I sign-in on my phone to update an independent app, it takes control of my whole phone. That really annoys me.

I can understand why you'd be annoyed. That's unusual behavior. Do you know what version of Android you are running? I'm assuming you're not using a third-party Contact/Email service like Google, but please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I'll throw this out there. If you go to Settings -> Apps -> App Permissions -> Contacts. Can you simply turn off permissions to everything (besides 'Contacts') but especially the Google Apps. This seems like a possible fix, but frankly I'm guessing a bit.

I'm not 100% sure how it works but when I had to update the Sonos desktop app on my Mac I didn't have to sign in to Google or Apple.

See below.

I've noticed that the app can also be downloaded from Amazon. Maybe this is a better option for me. But, like I said, it would be nice to get the Sonos app from Sonos, particularly since it's connected to a piece of hardware.

We're going to skew a little technical here. It's not actually as easy as it seems. The various app ecosystems require developers to go through an "audit" of sorts to validate the behavior of the app. This is good because it should help keep malware/etc from the stores. It doesn't keep bad apps out mind you. Because of this most phones will either restrict (Android) or prohibit (without jailbreaking - Apple) the installation of apps from outside the stores. Accordingly, most developers won't distribute their apps in other ways because it's an additional challenge and the variables it opens up are extreme.
Thanks ratty and Skelton for the responses. I have Google/ YouTube accounts, I think we all have loads of passwords and accounts with all sorts of places but my preference is for the way it works on desktop. I can carry out all my business and sign in & out at will with no consequences. (I also prefer looking at a big screen!)
Unfortunately, the phone doesn't work like this. "Remove Your Account" (the only way to sign out) deletes content.

Anyway, for now I can export and then import my contacts prior to any necessary update....not ideal but that's ok!
What you say about the app "Audit" makes sense, Skelton. There's no doubt though that Google and Apple are becoming the big duopoly is all of this business and I'm not sure if that's a good thing!