Update 8.5.3 - Do I really need this? I run Sonos from a music library on a Mac 10.6.8 box (Which I have NO NEED or Desire to UPDATE) it's working fine thanks

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Problems after last UPDATE to 8.5.2 which did FIRMWARE on Speakers with NO WARNING thereby pooching my system for weeks until I managed a work around with LITTLE HELP or advice from Sonos Staff.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I guess I blew past the place to state my question so here it is:

I really don't need or want to hear I have to update my computer systems. I manage the library through an iPad II running OS 9.3.5. I use iTunes for music library on the 10.6.8 box - which also runs software there are no updates to run under newer OS10x software. "If it ain't broke, don't 'FIX' it. I have not desire to run anything other than Mac products or update hardware until the current stuff breaks down.

SO IF I update will I again unknowingly break my current setup (which works fine for me, and which cost me considerable $ to purchase)?

Thanks for your advice/experience in advance!
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I have blocked all updates since just before 8.5 so as to be able to continue to use my much loved CR100s. I have really enjoyed not having to update my system. While I have a pretty robust LAN, it was amazing how often following an update I had to reboot the whole system. As I'm lucky enough to have 20 Sonos players of one sort or another plus a NAS this was a not inconsiderable task (and there was always one that would get forgotten about).

No doubt one day I will have to pension off the CR100s and rejoin the Brave New World, but right now the extra stability is just great...

T
Badge
Care to share your method for blocking the updates? Was it via DNS or firewall or something similar? I'm considering blocking soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Care to share your method for blocking the updates? Was it via DNS or firewall or something similar? I'm considering blocking soon.

Hi

Open the Sonos App>Settings>Advanced and deselect 'Automatically check for updates.'
Badge
Not surprisingly I've already unticked that and yet the updates still come. Unless the settings are sync'd somehow I guess it's perfectly possible that one of the many controller apps has the option ticked. It's on every phone, tablet and computer in this household which is quite a lot. That's why it would be so much better to be able to block it at a DNS or firewall level.

This evening I will systematically go through all of the controller apps and make sure that setting is not ticked. I'm willing to bet that is just for the controller though and will have little effect on the speakers themselves dialling home and finding updates.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Not surprisingly I've already unticked that and yet the updates still come. Unless the settings are sync'd somehow I guess it's perfectly possible that one of the many controller apps has the option ticked. It's on every phone, tablet and computer in this household which is quite a lot. That's why it would be so much better to be able to block it at a DNS or firewall level.

This evening I will systematically go through all of the controller apps and make sure that setting is not ticked. I'm willing to bet that is just for the controller though and will have little effect on the speakers themselves dialling home and finding updates.

The setting is stored in your Sonos system not on the device that the App is running, so no need to check the other Apps. Sonos do sometimes 'Push' updates, which this setting wouldn't stop.
Badge
Which brings us full circle back to the OP's original question. How do we stop that? In reply, Dr Tchok_1 indicated that they had managed it and I enquired if they cared to share how since I'm becoming more interested in this myself as time goes by?

I get that Sonos may deem pushing a firmware update as necesary and I accept that if one of my speakers were to require support then in order to get it, I might be required to then unblock and perform the updates. But it would be nice to be able to be in control of the decision.

If necessary I'll break out some network monitoring and see where outside of my network the speakers are going, just might save some time if someone else has already done it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If your devices update your controller app, your controller app will then prompt to update your system because of the version mismatch. Make sure you turn off automatic app updates on your devices so they don't download app updates you don't want too.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Major Hattip to Ikrananka whose work this is:
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/save-the-cr100-6800510/index86.html#post16220262[/quote]

T
Badge
Cheers, that's got the couple of bits in it that I wanted. Will give it a go when I get a chance. Also useful on the iOS app backups generally, not just related to Sonos..