Update

The latest update work like crap. Please fix it!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

I wouldn't use the same language as the OP, but I entirely agree with the sentiment. The latest (Android) controller update is borderline unusable - it won't connect to the players, it claims to be connected but then is unable to control them (hit pause, they continue playing; change the volume on the controller, it has no effect). It's just appalling

Only ever used Android for 5 minutes. Shame to hear the Sonos app is not good on that olatform though.
I, along with vast numbers of users, use the Android app happily. All the apps are just controllers, and the mobile apps are virtually identical across platforms. What is being suggested here is like blaming a generic bug in TV remotes for the fact that your TV is playing up. This makes absolutely no sense and is totally misguided and misleading.
I, along with vast numbers of users, use the Android app happily. All the apps are just controllers, and the mobile apps are virtually identical across platforms. What is being suggested here is like blaming a generic bug in TV remotes for the fact that your TV is playing up. This makes absolutely no sense and is totally misguided and misleading.

And I, along with various other users, have had continued and consistent problems with the Android app. All the apps are programs, and so what's being suggested here is that when your computer breaks, it is in fact a problem of the keyboard, not the software. This makes absoluitely no sense and is totally misguided and misleading.

Wrong analogy I'm afraid. The hardware can be fine, the software can be fine, but if the means of communicating with the other devices is compromised, usually by wireless conditions, then network applications such as Sonos will inevitably falter. Jeff S has suggested as much and invited you to submit a system diagnostic, which will often help to diagnose where the problem lies. If you don't follow up on that we'll have to draw our own conclusions.
The latest update work like crap. Please fix it!
Nothing to fix. You have network problems. Restart everything.
Done that of course. Sonos kan make nothing wrong?
Sonos software is tested for months. The most common problem by far after an update is IP address conflict caused by a forgetful router. You'd have to restart everything, not just Sonos, to clear it. Or wait 24 hours for the problem to clear by itself.
Done that of course. Sonos kan make nothing wrong?Of course they can. But if the update itself were buggy everyone would be having problems, not a tiny handful out of hundreds of thousands (millions?) of users worldwide. It is perfectly possible that the rebooting of devices that the update requires has triggered a temporary networking issue in your case but there is nothing Sonos can do to prevent that.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Apart from the minor issue with the update servers which occured when the update was first released (causing the update to cycle as it was failing to finalize), then I’ve seen no issues at all on the system since updating. I know the ‘well it works for me’ type response is little comfort to users experiencing issues, but after updating 16 speakers I’m comfortable that the update itself os solid. I’d ho as far as to say that it has improved performance, though that may be placebo or from the fact i power cycled everything before and after updates.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I wouldn't use the same language as the OP, but I entirely agree with the sentiment. The latest (Android) controller update is borderline unusable - it won't connect to the players, it claims to be connected but then is unable to control them (hit pause, they continue playing; change the volume on the controller, it has no effect). It's just appalling
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Only ever used Android for 5 minutes. Shame to hear the Sonos app is not good on that olatform though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

If you're having trouble with the Android app there's likely a network issue of some sort on your system. We've not seen any reports of the Android app software having specific issues. Please describe the exact behavior that's happening. If you can connect to your system, send in a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number.

If you can't connect to your system, please try the steps in this guide to get reconnected, then send along a diagnostic if any issues continue.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3

And I, along with various other users, have had continued and consistent problems with the Android app. All the apps are programs, and so what's being suggested here is that when your computer breaks, it is in fact a problem of the keyboard, not the software. This makes absoluitely no sense and is totally misguided and misleading.

What @ratty said. You have a problem with your network, that you are blaming on the app. As long as you persist with that view you will never solve the problem. Your choice.