Answered

Unable to connect with Sonos. Fix it - After upgrading to S2

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi there!

I have reported this as a potential bug, but I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this.

Ever since upgrading to S2, my iOS controller will not stay connected if the Sonos app is force closed.  To reconnect the app, I have to reset the app and join existing system.

As long as the Sonos app is not forced closed, all is well.  As soon as it’s force closed...issue.  I did not have this issue with S1.  I have performed the troubleshooting steps which lead me to this observation.  It’s been a few days now with no issues since leaving the app open.

Thank you for any insight provided.

icon

Best answer by BrainSel 22 July 2020, 19:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

69 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just a quick update - After 24 hours, the Playbar and Sub are still online.  Here are the exact workaround steps I took:

• Launch SONOS S2 App on your controller and verify it’s not connected

• Enter Setup on the Playbar by pressing Volume Up and Play/Pause at the same time > the orange light should start blinking

• Enter Wi-Fi Setup on your controller - For example, on iOS devices this is Settings Wi-Fi

• Wait for the SONOS Wi-Fi network to appear

• Connect to the SONOS Wi-Fi network and do nothing else, just wait patiently a few minutes for it to time out

• After the timeout, you should be connected back to your home network automatically - if not, connect back to your home network

• Return to the SONOS S2 App and see if it’s connected

I don’t know why this works, but it sounds like a bug. I’ll report back any further discoveries.

Hope this helps!!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you, Kyle.  Those two SSIDs are for the same network.  Jack is our 2.4GHz and Huey is our 5.0GHz.  It’s not our network that’s the issue.  When the Playbar and the Sub disconnect, the MAC addresses disappear from the router.  When I go through the reconnect process of joining an existing system, they reappear and stay connected for an entire day.

This behavior started with the S2 upgrade.  If you search through this Community, you’ll see others are having similar disconnect issues.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you, Kyle.  I love your optimism.  I’ll send you the diagnostics when the system disconnects from Wi-Fi tomorrow.

Thank you for your help. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you Kyle.  The speakers are connected to the same network as my phone on the 2.4GHz bandwidth and stay connected for less than a day when they are either rebooted or re-joined to an existing system.  I do not have a wired connection nearby nor did I need one to initially set these up.  These speakers were working perfectly fine prior to the S2 upgrade.

Would you mind researching this internally or escalating this to let the developers know about the Wi-Fi disconnects after upgrading to S2?

Thank you for your help.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Here is the diagnostic in the failed state - 1730730354.

Both the Playbar and the Sub are disconnected from Wi-Fi in the failed state.  We did not have this behavior with S1.  This is new with S2.

This is an extremely annoying bug. My TV eventually just falls back to internal speakers cuz connectivity and available of Sonos Arc is intermittent. This system is expensive enough...please Sonos look into this.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you for your reply.  I appreciate your input.

I agree, a factory reset in my case was easy since I don’t have any playlists or special settings that are difficult to restore.  It may not be for everyone.  In the name of science and taking one for the team, I attempted this to see if it would resolve things.  It didn’t.

I would normally agree with the network reboot, except for there are no other issues with any other connected devices.  Prior to the upgrade, there were no issues with S1.  It never disconnected.  This new behavior came with S2.  The Playbar and the Sub both disconnect from WiFi.  I can see the MAC Addresses are gone.  If I reboot Sonos, they connect for a few hours.  If I clear the app and join existing system, they connect for a few hours.  If I factory reset, they connect for a few hours.

I trust Sonos and know that in due time there will be an update that addresses and fixes this.

Has there been any update to this issue from Sonos?   I’m having exactly the same issue with my Playbase and One.   I was on with Sonos support for quite a while hard wiring the device to the router etc etc but after all of that it still drops out.

Good old google brought me here and it seems exactly the same as the issue being discussed here.  I’ve had my Playbase for years with no issue and my WiFi network is very strong with no other devices reporting any issues at all.   Yet after the S2 upgrade almost immediately i’m having drop outs every few hours and i now can hardly use my One.   Fingers crossed on a fix soon.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello @DhavalD.

Unfortunately...no, I have not had any success with my situation.  I did speak with Sonos Support a couple of times for lengthy troubleshooting sessions.

I think I know why this isn’t getting resolved as quickly as we’d like.  Their Teams don’t have access to any equipment or labs in their offices.  This is a very repeatable issue and if they were able to “lab it”, we may see quicker resolution.  The Support Rep was willing to reconfigure his personal setup at home, but he realized we don’t have the same products.

To Sonos’s credit, they were willing to send me a Playbar and Boost to see if the issue could be resolved with hardware.  I declined both as I believe this to be a software issue with the Linux-based OS running on these devices...specifically with Wi-Fi.  Everything else is fine with my setup, it’s the Wi-Fi that stops working after a couple hours following a reboot.

I firmly believe that Sonos will resolve this with an update.  I’m patient with this as the impact for me isn’t as bad as others.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just a quick update - The Playbar and the Sub have been factory reset and the S2 App has been deleted and reinstalled.  A new diagnostic was taken after the setup completed - 360090285.

If anyone ventures to perform this procedure, some words of advice:

• Start over completely - Factory reset all components and delete/reinstall the app

• Remove power from everything except the Playbar

• Start with the Playbar and set it up completely, then add the Sub or other components later

I’ll report back tomorrow with the results.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Well, it disconnected after two days.  The update did not address this issue.

However, I did find easier workaround:

1. Enter Setup mode on the Beam or Playbar - For the Beam, press and hold the ♾ button until you see the orange LED blinking - For the Playbar, press the ➕ and ⏯ buttons until you see the orange LED blinking.
  2. Open Wi-Fi Settings on your controller and watch for the SONOS Wi-Fi SSID.  If this specific SSID did not appear, repeat Step 1.
  3. Wait until the SONOS Wi-Fi SSID disappears.  You’ll also see the LED on the Sonos Beam or Playbar is now white.
  4. Open the Sonos App and check for connection.

I’m still working closely with Sonos Support.  I’m confident a future update will fix this.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @BrainSel, thank you for the reply.

I checked the diagnostic and compared it with the previous one. It would seem to indicate that you have two routers in the network, one named Huey and one named Jack.

In the previous diagnostic your phone is connected to Jack which allows you to connect.

Now, you're connected to Huey which isn’t the Wifi your Sonos uses. The Sonos mobile app and Sonos needs to be in the same network in order to communicate with each other.

In this case, we need to use the same Wifi which is Jack. We need to check the Jack Wifi because if the Jack Wifi goes down the Sonos speakers get disconnected as well. 

I would like to know more about how your network is set up. So, we can make adjustments.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just a quick update - It has now been 48 hours and the Playbar and Sub have stayed connected to the Wi-Fi network.

I’m working with Sonos Support so they can determine why this works after applying the workaround.

Stay tuned...

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

106306719 - Diagnostics during connection with no issue.

I’ll need to take another diagnostics when it’s in a failed state.

Thank you for your help.

@BrainSel out of curiousity what password did you use to try and connect to the Sonos WiFi. I just typed in my normal house WiFi password, I realise it doesn't really matter since we're timing in it but just wondered.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@SinfulMax 

No password should be required.  Wait until you see SONOS as the SSID.  There will be a crazy long SSID that has Sonos in it, but wait until the short SONOS network appears.

Hope this helps!

Kyle, thanks for the reply

i have Sky broadband with a SR203 router.   This is effectively a mesh setup as i also have two Sky Q boxes acting as repeaters.   One is the main SkyQ box placed in my lounge and is currently directly wired into my playbase.   The other mini box is in our upstairs bedroom.    For note i still have regular disconnection issues with the Playbase even though it is wired into the repeater.

The new Sonos One is purely wireless and is located in our kitchen.    This seems to be better playing the radio but is almost unusable with any other app such as Amazon music etc.

Hi so I'm literally sitting for 30 mins at a time trying to sync this so even tonight when I disconnected power source for 10 secs and reset S2 app it didn't resync. Ended of mirror sharing Amazon app with TV to play music. I'm so fed up with it can't control playbar volume unless through Chromecast.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just a quick update - They didn’t stay connected through the night.

I have opened and escalated the case with Sonos Support.  Others are reporting the same Wi-Fi disconnects.  It’s just a matter of time before an update is released.

Stay tuned...

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hey @Pedro C!

Negative...no updates yet.

Sonos is very aware of the issue.  We’re all just waiting for the fix to be released.

If I receive any news, I’ll post it here.  

Hang in there.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Tomasz K., welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for providing the diagnostic for us to check. Let me help you and figure out what's happening.

Upon checking, there's a communication problem between your Sonos speakers and your network. Some speakers are on different WiFi Channel which is possibly connected to different access points. To correct this, the next step is to perform a sequential reboot of your network devices, all your Sonos products, and force close mobile controllers to refresh the connection.

A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.

• Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
  • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
  • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
  • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.

If after rebooting your network and Sonos devices, you're still experiencing the same, please submit another diagnostic report and post here the confirmation number. Also, if you can provide us your full network setup including the make and model for each device to further assist you on this.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. 

I left my Sonos app open rather than force close. Opened it properly there the now and it still says unable to connect. Tried the setup, only the long Sonos SSID comes up.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @BrainSel, thanks for the update.

I have checked the diagnostic, So far, no major errors; the Sonos app is on the S2 firmware, the Sonos speakers are on S2 firmware and

the Playbar is receiving the TV signal through the optical connection just fine.

Reach out to us when you have the same issue. For now, you should be fine.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@HighEndMusic

@Stanley_4

@Kyle A 

@DaShiznits 

@DhavalD 

@Pedro C 

Possible workaround in my last post.  😬

Hi Kyle,  I submitted this from the app on my iPhone so by “another controller” i hope that’s what you were referring to?   The first instance was from my iPad.   Diagnostic number 829049724.

Thanks again