Answered

Unable to connect with Sonos. Fix it - After upgrading to S2

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi there!

I have reported this as a potential bug, but I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this.

Ever since upgrading to S2, my iOS controller will not stay connected if the Sonos app is force closed.  To reconnect the app, I have to reset the app and join existing system.

As long as the Sonos app is not forced closed, all is well.  As soon as it’s force closed...issue.  I did not have this issue with S1.  I have performed the troubleshooting steps which lead me to this observation.  It’s been a few days now with no issues since leaving the app open.

Thank you for any insight provided.

icon

Best answer by BrainSel 22 July 2020, 19:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

69 replies

So i have made some progress here at least but have been forced to choose the lesser of two evils.   I have provided my devices with static IP addresses which has resolved the issue with the One and this now works as before.    However, the playbase still has intermittent problems so i tired wiring it in again although this then stopped the One from working again…

Seems as though the One does not like using the SonosNet connectivity but the Playbase on the S2 will not connect consistently on just the wireless connection.   I’ve therefore jettisoned the Playbase and turned it off permanently (i challenge whether this really works with the S2) and am using the TV speakers until i can get a replacement.   Alexa and the One now work perfectly.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @nadraz, thank you for reaching the Sonos community. I appreciate your detailed post describing the issue as well as the steps that you did. Thank you for your feedback and what you're feeling is completely understandable. 

I really appreciate the time and effort you've spent doing all the troubleshooting steps, and it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. 

To further assist you with this, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support with your full network setup. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to address the issue. 

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hi 

Has this issue been, if not solved, at least systematically addressed by Sonos?...I have this issue multiple times a day, can take seconds to several minutes to get it working, and I have to try any of:

• shutting down the app and re starting
  • re-booting my phone
  • re-booting one of the devices
  • swearing at the damn piece of crap

This only started happening with the S2 app, its extremely frustrating that when all I want do is turn down the volume to take a meeting, and i’m then stuck in a 15 min random, constant re-boot process to get the thing working. I now, if I'm going to be in a meeting, mute the thing 15 mins in advance to make sure its done before the meeting starts...madness!...its not the hardware (playbar, S1’s, S3’s S5) or my wi fi...everything else connected to it works just fine. I’m not going to reboot my router and disrupt everything on the network when its not …the problem is solely and wholly the rubbish that is the S2 app, and I fail to understand why Sonos, despite the TB of issues online about this issue are failing to take it seriously, or even acknowledge it!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Pedro C, thank you for your response and for updating us.

I really appreciate the time and effort you've spent doing all the troubleshooting steps, and it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. 

You may reach our Sonos Customer Care support with your full network setup including the make and model for each device to check what's going on and to provide the best option for you.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

So after yesterday’s app release my system is better and i can now at least play the radio on my One.    However, i still cannot utilise Amazon music without interruptions.   

I’ve been looking at a lot of the UK communities and have found that there are a lot of issues with Sonos and the SkyQ mesh setup i have in my house since the S2 controller was released.    The advice from Sky on how to connect has not worked either so until yesterday i had two very expensive paperweights.    

I’ve not decided yet whether to replace Sky broadband or replace my Sonos speakers but there doesn’t seem to be a solution unfortunately at present.    

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Tomasz K., welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for providing the diagnostic for us to check. Let me help you and figure out what's happening.

Upon checking, there's a communication problem between your Sonos speakers and your network. Some speakers are on different WiFi Channel which is possibly connected to different access points. To correct this, the next step is to perform a sequential reboot of your network devices, all your Sonos products, and force close mobile controllers to refresh the connection.

A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.

• Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
  • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
  • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
  • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.

If after rebooting your network and Sonos devices, you're still experiencing the same, please submit another diagnostic report and post here the confirmation number. Also, if you can provide us your full network setup including the make and model for each device to further assist you on this.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. 

Hello, the problem with stuck iOS controller is still the case and happens randomly from time to time for me and my wife. Just submitted diagnostics after it happened again: 439055157

The only way to reconnect is to reset the application.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Pedro C, thank you for the update and sorry for the late response.

Yes, another controller means another mobile device with the Sonos App; my appologies for not being specific.

I checked and compare both diagnostic; The two controllers use the same Wifi network because they both have the same IP address range. 192.168.0.*** 

You shouldn't be having a hard time connecting as your Sonos is directly wired to the network.

I see the Playbase wired as well and looking further in our resources for Sky Q, I found that there’s a hidden engineers menu and Sky Q boxes also produce 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz. It could potentially cause wireless interference.

However, I don’t see much wireless interference from the speakers.

Also, there is a recommended setting for the Sky Q Mesh.

However, this is better done with the assistance of our Phone support as they can walk you through the process in real-time. 

Also, you get real-time support if something goes wrong.

One last thing I’ll need to ask, have you tried a full network restart? If not start with the Sky network and once done; reboot the Sonos speakers. 

If you’ve already done this, I would recommend calling our Phone support for the recommended Sky Q settings.

1 800 680 2345 Monday to Friday from 10 am to 9 pm ET.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Hi Kyle,  I submitted this from the app on my iPhone so by “another controller” i hope that’s what you were referring to?   The first instance was from my iPad.   Diagnostic number 829049724.

Thanks again

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Pedro C, thank you for the update.

We don’t have an issue with the router and Sky Q mesh.

Is there another controller able to connect to the Sonos system? if you do, please take a diagnostic with the connected controller in the Sonos App.

Setting > Help & TIps > Submit Diagnostic and post the confirmation here. So I can check where the Sonos system is connected to.

I suspect you having two networks running and Sonos is on a different network. However, we need to check with the diagnostic.

Update us with your findings. 

Kyle, thanks for the reply

i have Sky broadband with a SR203 router.   This is effectively a mesh setup as i also have two Sky Q boxes acting as repeaters.   One is the main SkyQ box placed in my lounge and is currently directly wired into my playbase.   The other mini box is in our upstairs bedroom.    For note i still have regular disconnection issues with the Playbase even though it is wired into the repeater.

The new Sonos One is purely wireless and is located in our kitchen.    This seems to be better playing the radio but is almost unusable with any other app such as Amazon music etc.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Pedro C, thank you for getting our attention and for the update.

I checked the diagnostic, the Sonos speakers are on the S2 firmware as well.

When I checked the diagnostic, it only shows the controller’s data then I checked the Household it was assigned to.

The speakers are active and connected to our server.

I would now like to know your whole network setup.

I’ll need the model of the router, other network devices like network switches, mesh systems, wireless access points, and the like.

I’ll also would need to know how they’re connected. This to understand how your network works and check for any known issues.

The information you give is greatly appreciated.

Still having lots of issues on my setup.   Please can Sonos review the diagnostics I’ve just sent through number 1957282853. 

I have Sky Broadband which consistently gives good connection speeds and as mentioned previously I’ve only had issues since upgrading to the S2 controller.   I’ve tried resetting everything to factory setups today and deleting and reinstalling the controller but encountered the same issues very soon after.    

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @SinfulMax, thank you for reaching out and sorry for the late response.

I would like you to take a diagnostic in the Sonos app; so we can take a closer look.

Setting > Help & Tips > Submit Diagnostic and post the confirmation number.

I would like to know the Wifi router model you have and any other network devices like mesh systems, network switches, and the like.

So I can check for any known issues with your network setup.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

I don't know if that means anything. I only have the playbar and it's still going offline....

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just a quick update - I’ve been working closely with Sonos Support and we made a discovery - The Sub is falling offline and taking the Playbar with it.  We removed the Sub from the room and watched the Sub drop offline after a couple days, but the Playbar remained online and responsive in the App.

We don’t know what this means yet, so stay tuned.  I still believe an update is going to fix this.

Away to try this B gave up last few days as couldn't be bothered unplugged playbar lol

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Well, it disconnected after two days.  The update did not address this issue.

However, I did find easier workaround:

1. Enter Setup mode on the Beam or Playbar - For the Beam, press and hold the ♾ button until you see the orange LED blinking - For the Playbar, press the ➕ and ⏯ buttons until you see the orange LED blinking.
  2. Open Wi-Fi Settings on your controller and watch for the SONOS Wi-Fi SSID.  If this specific SSID did not appear, repeat Step 1.
  3. Wait until the SONOS Wi-Fi SSID disappears.  You’ll also see the LED on the Sonos Beam or Playbar is now white.
  4. Open the Sonos App and check for connection.

I’m still working closely with Sonos Support.  I’m confident a future update will fix this.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just a quick update - We’re still connected over here. So far so good with the update from Sonos!

How is everyone else doing?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just a quick update - Sonos released an update today!  I’ve applied it to my system...let’s see what happens.

Obviously, all products need to be online before updating.  Power-cycling the Playbar or Beam, then verifying the other components are online might be the best thing prior to attempting the update.

Good luck everybody!!

@BrainSel thanks for that info - I’ll give that a try next time. 

Out of interest is anyone else’s home network a MESH set up? Strangely I have found the S2 app seems to ‘find’ the Sonos when I am in different areas of the house even though my WiFi network is the same across the whole house.  Even then this is intermittent and doesnt always work. 

I am by no means a network expert so I have no idea if my MESH setup is indeed making a difference here, but I never had any issues on the old S1 application. 

I am going to try resetting the app and unplugging all my Sonos speakers and router next time and resetting them up from scratch but I’m not hopeful based on everyone else’s feedback. 

Hi so I'm literally sitting for 30 mins at a time trying to sync this so even tonight when I disconnected power source for 10 secs and reset S2 app it didn't resync. Ended of mirror sharing Amazon app with TV to play music. I'm so fed up with it can't control playbar volume unless through Chromecast.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just a quick update - Mine disconnected again after staying connected for 4 days.  I did the workaround and it’s back online.

@SinfulMax - it took a couple of tries, but eventually the SONOS SSID appeared.  It took about a minute to switch from Sonos_xxxxxxxxxxxxx to SONOS.

Sonos Engineers are fully aware of the disconnect issues.  It’s only a matter of time before an update is released.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Starcy 

For the Beam, it looks like you press and hold the ♾ button until you see an orange blinking light.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@SinfulMax 

So close!!

Does that Sonos_xxxxxxxxxxxxx SSID eventually change to SONOS?  How long did you wait?  It might take a minute or two.

Let us know!