Answered

"unable to connect to Sonos"

• 10 September 2022
  • 7 replies

• Contributor I
  • 3 replies

Often get this message on my iphone while listening to music! This happens when network is working fine, wifi is good on phone and other devices, etx - nothing changed, then, “unable to connect.” And I can't stop the music or adjust volume. Fix is to reboot everything over and over. System is Play:1

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 11 September 2022, 01:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

It sounds like you may have an SSDP network discovery issue between your controller and Sonos products. Perhaps see the post (link) here to give you some pointers to maybe check things on your controller and/or network setup… 

Sadly, that's all gibberish to me even if it's right. I was hoping for more of a “open this, click that” kind of answer. But tx

To maybe assist you further, just as a couple of examples to explore…

• Your mobile controller might be blocking the ‘discovery’ of your Sonos speakers due to ‘Private Address’ MAC spoofing, WiFi calling, firewall or VPN software etc.  -or-
  • Your mobile controller might be connected to one network access point, using a channel on the 5Ghz band and your speaker is using a different access point on a different band/channel and the network hardware between the two (switches/AP’s etc.) are interfering with the SSDP protocol / discovery of the speakers, as the packets cannot transverse the connection to always enable the discovery of the device on the network.

Of course there could also be a hardware (or compatibility) issue somewhere along the line too, but that’s usually less-likely and I would perhaps try looking at the above issues first, before moving towards looking at that being the problem.

Sometimes in a multi-wireless access point network, putting all AP’s on the same channel and channel-width with the same SSID/credentials can resolve the issue.

So these things can all depend on your network setup and hardware/software in use, so it’s difficult to offer you ‘open this, click that’ suggestions in this particular case.

Literally no idea how to “look” at these “issues.” Tx anyways 

I’d certainly read the wifi interference FAQ, as very frequently, that’s the cause of this issue. Unclear from your post whether the issue is between your router and the iPhone, or your speakers and the router. It might help you find out if you were to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 7

Hi 

I know a lot of what is presented in this community can be a bit daunting with regards to network issues. Submitting a diagnostic as suggested is a good course of action.

However, you said you can’t stop the music when the anomaly occurs. That is a bit strange because that means your Sonos App is not responding on your device. Apps not responding can be the result of a few things:

1. Loss of network connection (caused by interference from other devices, jumping between access points, soft/hardware VPN or router failure)
  2. The App itself being out of date or corrupt
  3. Software version on your device being out of date
  4. Storage full on the device   
  5. Multi-touch issue with device’s display (other apps would also be affected)

The bottom-line is that you should be able to at least stop the music via the App; if not try to investigate the options I’ve mentioned or as suggested submit the diagnostic.

I suppose you should connect with the service.