Unable to connect to music service

• 18 May 2018
  • 6 replies

Hello - I just got a Sonos Playbar and Sub a few months ago. At start, everything was great. I updated it a few weeks ago and ever since I lose connection only when playing music. This happens about 2-3 songs in. It'll stop and say it can't connect to music service. If I try a few minutes later I will have the same issue. Listening to anything other than music via the controller (Mac/iPhone) I do not have any issues. I've rebooted the system, changed my wireless channels, and reset the channel with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Greg

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Try unplugging from power all of your Sonos devices. Then reboot your router. Go back and plug in one of the Sonos devices, and wait a minute or two to finish booting up before moving on to the next to plug it in.

That might take care of your issue, but if not, submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing the lost connection issue, and call in to Sonos to discuss it.
Hi - I tried that and the same issue happens. I submitted a diag. Confirmation: 1964177256.

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi - I tried that and the same issue happens. I submitted a diag. Confirmation: 1964177256.

Thanks.

Hi SrWebz,

It sounds like your Sonos system is having a hard time connecting outside your home network. I notice in your diagnostic report than your network's DNS server is a local computer. In many cases this is fine, but it may be better to use your router's address as a DNS server, or to use a third party DNS service such as GoogleDNS or OpenDNS.

If you haven't set up a separate DNS server on your network, you may just need to reboot your router, then also reboot your Sonos devices to update the setting.
Hi Jeff - Just to add to the DNS. It comes from a Server on my network that's running DHCP/DNS. DNS is set from there to a outside DNS Service. If needed, I can completely bypass this on my Sonos devices and hardcode a different DNS service.

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff - Just to add to the DNS. It comes from a Server on my network that's running DHCP/DNS. DNS is set from there to a outside DNS Service. If needed, I can completely bypass this on my Sonos devices and hardcode a different DNS service.

Thanks.

It sounds like your server is set up correctly, but it may be worth testing out to see if it helps.
I'll try that and report back.

Thank you.