Unable to add music library to Sonos Controller

I used to be able to access my music (all in iTunes) with my Sonos controller; however, it has abruptly stopped working.  When I try to add the folder to my Music Library, I get the error message: "Unable to add the shared folder "\\AMY-PC\Music" to your Music Library (1002)."  I've seen that this is a common error and believe I have followed the steps otherwise laid out (e.g., Kaspersky firewall access).  I'm still receiving the error.  Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

43 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Matt - OK, I just did it, and the diagnostic is number 7322639. But I hope you saw that I did it the first time and got number 7313520. I hope you can solve this. Thanks!

Hi nooshsf,

In your diagnostic report I don't see an error when you tried to add the music share. Most of the time this means that a firewall or antivirus program has blocked the connection attempt. Please see this guide to configure any firewall or antivirus program you might be running.

This guide is also helpful for Mac music sharing issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Matt,

So the music is showing up on the app on my phone, but it is still not showing up on my Sonos desktop application. When I click on "Music Library," it says "You haven't added any music to your Sonos system yet."

Any advice on what to do next?

Thank you!

Hi Edge17,

If your indexing isn't finishing, please check to make sure your computer is not set to go to sleep after inactivity. Also, make sure your computer doesn't put the hard drive to sleep.

If it fails to complete the index again, please submit a new diagnostic report and reply with the number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having this same issue, my music library cannot be updated saying iTunes library is no longer available, not true. I've reset router, rebooted MacBook.... run/submitted diagnostics #7329407 please help

thanks,
brian

Hi Brian,

Your Sonos units are losing connection to your network from time to time due to wireless interference. This is causing the speakers to fall off the network and is likely the reason they can't access your music library.

Please try changing your router's wireless channel to 11 and see if things improve.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Add me to the list of very frustrated and disaapointed Sonos users. Please help me and my MacBook pro
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Here is the error message I am getting
Here is the error message I am getting

Looks like your MacBook Pro's netbios name is too long. You need to reduce it to the 16 character limit or below ... or try linking via the IP address and set it to a 'static' or 'reserved' IP address whichever you prefer to do.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Thx Ken, What the heck is "netbios" and why does all work perfectly on my Sonos iPhone App, and NOT on my laptop. Shame, Shame on Sonos. Got the boxes ready to return BOTH Sonos Play 1 speakers. The list is getting MUCH longer as to why....
Oh for . . . I can Google "Mac change computer name" and have an answer in 5 seconds. The actual changing of the name might be about 20 seconds.
Instead, you are going to take the time to box them all up and return them to the store?
By the way, to save you the trouble:

How to change the name of your Mac
Step 1: In the Menu bar, go to  > System Preferences…
Step 2: Click on Sharing.
Step 3: In the Computer Name box, type in the name you want to use for your computer.
Step 4: Close the window, and you're done.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/08/08/how-to-change-mac-name/
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
J, will give all this a try and I do not want to shoot the messenger. Been using Apple products since 1980 (yup I am old) and this is the first time "EVER" that an app requires me to change the name of my Laptop so the app will work. You have to be kidding me. My rating of Sonos has been and continues to be "0" Thx J, No Thanks to Sonos.
J, will give all this a try and I do not want to shoot the messenger. Been using Apple products since 1980 (yup I am old) and this is the first time "EVER" that an app requires me to change the name of my Laptop so the app will work. You have to be kidding me. My rating of Sonos has been and continues to be "0" Thx J, No Thanks to Sonos.

This should help explain your issue:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetBIOS

And this:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938431.aspx
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Thx KG, will give it try, Will this screw up any connections I have at work, home and other networks now that Have changed the name of my Mac?
You can link your library by IP address if you prefer... but if you do I would set the MacBook to a static IP address .. just so you keep the Sonos linked library at the same address.
So, just as an example, you could set (reserve) the IP address of you MacBook Pro in your routers DHCP reservation table .. you 'may' need the MAC address of the network adapter to set the address static against it.

It's a good idea to do that with your Sonos products too and there is plenty of information on the forum about that, but obviously routers can and do vary... so perhaps look around your routers interface for its reservation table. I'm sure you'll figure it out. It's usually very easy to do.

The Sonos MAC addresses are on the labels on each of your Sonos products to help you reserve them and you will find their existing IP addresses (and their MAC addresses aswell) in your Sonos Controller Settings in the 'About my Sonos System' section.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
KG, Thx...all I need is a yes or no to this question:

Thx KG, will give it try, Will this screw up any connections I have at work, home and other networks now that Have changed the name of my Mac?
If (and only if) you have a network connection somewhere else (local or remote) to your MacBook Pro from a device elsewhere that is already using the MacBook Pro's old netbios name, then you would have to 'change the path' to reflect the new name you have given to it. Otherwise you will not have any problems at all.

Does that help?
I am having this same issue. My music library can no longer be updated saying iTunes library is no longer available (large library), which is clearly not true. When I put 20 albums into a folder as a test and add it as a library, it works fine. I've reset router, rebooted iMac.... run/submitted diagnostics #7656975

Please help

Thanks,

Serge
This is an old thread and i think you would have a better chance of getting noticed if you start a new thread. Include the diagnostic number in the title for good measure

Post here to say that is what you have done, so that any responses go to new thread