Answered

Two networks - one Controller ?

• 31 August 2018
  • 36 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14
I've seen reference to the Controller 'auto-switching' between 2 networks .... not for me. I have to reset the controller to access the devices on each network. How can I have one controller which detects each network as appropriate?
icon

Best answer by castalla 1 September 2018, 10:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

36 replies

It autoswitches between systems in two locations, i.e. when it can only detect one at a time. Is that true in your case?
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
No. When I switch to the second network, the controller discovers the sonos device BUT the only options available are Exit or Reset Controller.

This is the windows PC controller
I don't think autoswitching applies to your situation then.
The Desktop Controller is capable of associating with multiple systems ('households'), on different networks. Just use the 'connect to existing system' option. You may have to dig around and perhaps find 'Add another system' or some such.

The current system can be disassociated using the 'Forget Current Sonos System' option.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Okay - so I set up the first association with 'Connect to existing system'. Switched network and did the same. I'll try the Add another system option.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Still getting separate 'Reset' when switching .... Baffled.
Let's take a step back. Why do you have two separate networks, each with its own Sonos system? Or is there a different setup?
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
The TV is in the lounge - Beam attached - one dedicated router 1. The other router 2 runs all the other devices (smart speakers, Play 1s.)

When I installed the Beam it wouldn't connect to router 2. I'm reluctant to reset the Beam as it was a bugger to set up with Alexa!
That's not a "why", that's a "what". John B asked "why", as in why would you set your network up like that? You could easily set up the second router as an access point and have everything on the same network.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Two separate ISPs - one is adsl. the other is wifi. 30m separation between the routers. 6mB on one 20mB on other.

I live in an isolated location - if one ISP goes down, the other still works.

Nevertheless, the only way to 'share' the controller seems to be to reset it each time
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Not related to your Sonos issue but have you considered switching to a router that supports two ISPs/uplinks and steers traffic to them as needed?
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Access points are 30 meters apart - one adsl, one cable .... what router would fit that?
If you connect to the Beam, then power the beam off, can you connect to the other system without resetting? Are any components wired to a router? I assume you are switching networks on the computer?
Are these routers completely separate or connected in some way? Are they both acting as DHCP servers, i.e. handing out IP addresses?
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
If I switch to network 1 (Sonos Play 1) then Sonos displays a message 'We found Sonos on the router 1 wireless network' . The only choices then from the menu are Mange-Change Language and Help-Reset Controler.

Bothe routers are completely separate (different channels, etc.). Switching networks on one PC. Shutting off BEAM makes no difference.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Access points are 30 meters apart - one adsl, one cable .... what router would fit that?

Probably quite a few, the one I'm most familiar with is pfSense that can run on a custom platform or on an old PC with a couple extra network cards added. Just set the ISP routers to Bridge mode and you'd have one network at the router but could add multiple subnets if you wanted to. They have a forum dedicated to just this:

https://forum.netgate.com/category/21/routing-and-multi-wan

Also all Ubiquity EdgeMax routers support Dual WAN, Edgerouter X, maybe some of their other gear too.
So when one ISP goes down do you lose the devices on that network? I think @Stanley_4 was on right lines. What you need is two internet connections and one LAN and DHCP server. Maybe both ISP routers in modem mode and a third router to provide LAN/DHCP. The issue must be related to your rather unusual setup.
Castalla ... there is an easy solution to this.

You have two routers that are entirely separate in your home...

Router 1 has a Sonos One connected to it.
Router 2 has your new Sonos Beam connected to it.

Your PC simply needs to switch its network connection.

Connect your PC over WiFi to Router 1 and open the Windows Sonos Controller App .. it will connect and see your Sonos One. If it doesn’t then reset the controller and choose to connect to existing Sonos System or Household.

Close the Sonos App.

Now switch your computers WiFi connection to Router 2 and open the Windows Sonos Controller App .. it will connect and see your Sonos Beam. If it doesn’t then reset the controller and choose to connect to existing Sonos System or Household.

To now switch between your two sonos devices you must switch your PC's WiFi connection... then open the Sonos controller.

To get around these problems and to just use one router/controller for all your devices, then the only way to do that is to follow the detailed instructions that I gave to you in your earlier thread here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/what-to-get-228989/shambolic-frustrating-experience-attempting-to-purchase-from-sonos-shop-in-europe-6811600
@Stanley_4. Our posts crossed, but I think you know more about the options here than I do.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
@Stanley_4

Thanks but beyond my pay-grade!
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
@Ken_Griffiths

Sounds reasonable, but when I reset the controller I don't get an option to connect to existing Sonos System or Household - the controller simply (but labouriously) loads the appropriate device on that network.

Can't face your total reset option at the moment! Thought the 2 household route would be simpler. The Sonos wifi settings are really unique - simply changing a router channel throws the Sonos into a fit (all other wifi devices accept the channel change gracefully!).
@Ken_Griffiths

Sounds reasonable, but when I reset the controller I don't get an option to connect to existing Sonos System or Household - the controller simply (but labouriously) loads the appropriate device on that network.

Can't face your total reset option at the moment! Thought the 2 household route would be simpler. The Sonos wifi settings are really unique - simply changing a router channel throws the Sonos into a fit (all other wifi devices accept the channel change gracefully!).
Changing a channel should not have this effect. Changing routers causes everything to need a new IP address and for a system that has devices that constantly talk to each other this may be problematic.

I realise that your need for two ISPs is unusual, but the two network solution is far from the best solution, it seems to me. I would have expected the controller to flip, but I can't help thinking there is a piece of the jigsaw in your setup that we don't yet have. Maybe best call Sonos Support.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Some progress. I tried switching using the Android controller which works as expected!

So, seems there's a problem with

PC controller on Win 7

or

Win 7 on my PC

I'll try with another PC with Win 10
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
DOH!

SOLVED!

I discovered that the Sonos app on Win 7 was not displaying full screen - only slightly reduced, but just enough to hide the Connect buttons at the bottom of the screen ..... :@

Thanks for all the advice!
castalla,

It really would be much simpler to setup both devices on just the one single router network. I have talked you through the 'step-by-step' procedure of hard-setting the Beam and how to do that, in your earlier thread. I chose the Beam, as it was your latest addition to your household. If you are reluctant to reset the device, then you could swap things around and reset the Sonos One instead and add that to your Beam Household by following the same instructions.

Otherwise, no matter what happens, your sonos controller devices will always have to switch between the two routers WiFi connections in order to talk to each of your Sonos Speakers and that really can be a laborious thing to have to do just to operate each speaker.

However it’s really upto you what you do in this situation, as it is your equipment.

Note also Johns advice above, to make contact Sonos Support, as they too are often able to assist with these things and can even remote connect to your PC, with your permission, to assist with the setup.

Hope that helps and gives you plenty of options to consider. Here is the link to contact Sonos Support:

Contact Sonos Customer Care