Answered

TuneIn plays commercial when adding a room

• 10 March 2021
  • 8 replies

Not sure where else to ask this. If I am playing a radio station via TuneIn radio and then add another room or swap rooms, it cuts the feed and throws a commercial on. I understand when I am completely starting out in the morning that would happen but this is new to us. Kind of annoying to have it cut off what is playing and throw an add in there when all I am doing is adding/removing a room to the stream.

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by James L. 12 March 2021, 16:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @steveFTC, thanks for raising this with the Sonos Community!

I’m not able to reproduce that on my system unfortunately - is this occurring with a particular station, or with all of them? Does it happen on both rooms, or just the room you added to the group?

If it’s happening with all radio stations, it may be worth rebooting your router, followed by your Sonos devices to see if that clears the issue up, let us know how you get on :)

Hi Xander -

Good questions. I just tried it and I’m not getting any commercials before the stream starts on any station. I’ll keep an eye on it and jot down which ones it’s happening on. Pretty sure it was some, but not all. I seem to remember it happening if I had Speaker A playing and then added Speaker B (commercial on both) AND the same situation, then removed A after 30 seconds, I’d get another commercial on B.

But it’s not happening today so I doubt it’s a router/speaker issue. Has to be something with TuneIn I imagine. Weird.

OK, it’s doing it this morning.

Play TuneIn stream on Speaker A. Commercial, then the stream starts.

Add Speaker B. Stream *STOPS* for a sec, then starts on both speakers with commercials.

Stop stream on Speaker B and it’s only on A now. Stream *STOPS* for a sec, then starts up with a (different) commercial.

If I am playing via my NAS, Apple Music, etc… the stream just continues on the second speaker and does not hiccup like this. TuneIn used to do that also but now we get the stop/start with a commercial. But like I said, this did not happen yesterday.

Thanks!

Badge +17

OK, it’s doing it this morning.

Play TuneIn stream on Speaker A. Commercial, then the stream starts.

Add Speaker B. Stream *STOPS* for a sec, then starts on both speakers with commercials.

Stop stream on Speaker B and it’s only on A now. Stream *STOPS* for a sec, then starts up with a (different) commercial.

If I am playing via my NAS, Apple Music, etc… the stream just continues on the second speaker and does not hiccup like this. TuneIn used to do that also but now we get the stop/start with a commercial. But like I said, this did not happen yesterday.

Thanks!

Hey Steve, thanks for getting back to us.

I’ve tried to replicate this on my own system too, but I’m having mixed results. Here’s what I found:

1. Start TuneIn on speaker A - Commercial, then stream starts
  2. Group in speaker B - stream carries on as normal
  3. Ungroup speaker B - stream carries on
  4. Pause stream on speaker A
  5. Resume stream on speaker A - Commercial, then stream starts
  6. Group in speaker B - stream carries on as normal
  7. Pause the stream on the group
  8. Resume the stream on the group - Commercial, then stream starts

In short, the only way I can replicate what you’re describing is by manually stopping the stream and restarting it; which I believe is expected.

I’d probably recommend getting in touch with our customer care team if this is a constant thing. They can take diagnostics of your system after one of these events and look into it a bit more than we can here on the community.

James -

Thanks for testing yourself. Yes, stopping/starting would trigger the commercial that makes sense. But just adding a speaker is stopping it for TuneIn only. And that it did not do this at all yesterday is what is weird.

I just tried it on a couple different stations and it did not happen at all on the next two. Had no commercials at all. Tried on yet another one, got a commercial but no stop/starts when adding/removing speakers. So I went back to the original from this morning and it just played with no commercial before the stream kicked in.

In the long run, it’s not really a big deal. But a head scratcher for sure and may not be easy to figure out.

Another update:

Put on a radio station (via TuneIn) and non-stop commercials for five minutes. I’ve never experienced that. It never went to the stream. Called the station and they said they would look into it. I forgot my Apple Music app can play TuneIn. Did that and it streamed right away, no commercials. Cast it to the Sonos and it’s fine, no commercials.

Tried it with Sonos Radio, it’s fine. Dumped TuneIn, problem solved, ha ha.

P.S. I cannot figure out how to subscribe to this thread or remove subscriptions from others. I work in IT but this forum software has completely stumped me on many facets.

Steve

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @steveFTC, thanks for the update - glad to hear you’re not experiencing this with Sonos Radio, or by casting TuneIn.

If there are any other reports of this then we’ll be able to take a closer look, however as mentioned we’ve not been able to reproduce this on our side - seems that when you’re grouping, your system sometimes briefly disconnects, prompting a fresh advert, however that’s just a guess at this point.

Regarding the subscriptions. you can view a list of all of your subscribed threads, and click/tap the star icon to manually unsubscribe from that thread. You can also adjust the settings for email notifications, and what topics you are automatically subscribed to under General Settings. To manually subscribe to a thread, you can use the “Add to favorites" button underneath the original post :)

Xander -

Thanks for the response. We think it has something to do with the station as Sonos Radio is what is says in our Station list but when it plays the Now Playing shows it as TuneIn anyway and once in a while we get more commercials. I’m guessing it depends on the type of contract a station has with them.

And thanks for the help with subscriptions. I never noticed the star, was looking for a check box or a hamburger menu with options. That helps but I’m not getting emails from replies even though it’s checked. Oh well, not a big deal.

Steve