Answered

Trueplay usage and implementation

I just got the mailer about Trueplay, but the marketing stuff isn't very clear about a few thinks so I thought I'd ask to help everyone along.

(i) Does Trueplay only work with iDevices (iPad/IPhone etc)?

(ii)If so when will we get it for Android?

(iii) It says somewhere that it is for devices set up using iPads/iPhones. Will an Android or other platform be able to benefit where there is a hybrid system. For example our Play:3 was set up on an iPhone originally, but is often used from a Samsung.
icon

Best answer by kmjy 10 November 2015, 18:00

Hi PeterED,

Everything will work as normal on ALL devices. The only thing you will ONLY be able to do on the iPhone (or other iDevice) is tune the speakers.
Everything else will work as it usually would on any device and nothing else has changed with that usage.

Once you have tuned the speakers with an iDevice you can then use an Android (or other device) to toggle TruePlay on or off. You just won't be able to re-tune without the iDevice.

In terms of it coming to Android, SONOS have said they are working on it and hope it will be possible but Android has an incredibly large range of devices all with different components and they handle the processing of sounds differently so it would be more complex to get an accurate and consistent tuning with an Android device. Fortunately Apple use roughly the same components across all device lines so accuracy is there.

Here's some more info on compatibility: Devices and Players That Are Compatible With TruePlay.

Best regards!
View original

17 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Hi PeterED,

Everything will work as normal on ALL devices. The only thing you will ONLY be able to do on the iPhone (or other iDevice) is tune the speakers.
Everything else will work as it usually would on any device and nothing else has changed with that usage.

Once you have tuned the speakers with an iDevice you can then use an Android (or other device) to toggle TruePlay on or off. You just won't be able to re-tune without the iDevice.

In terms of it coming to Android, SONOS have said they are working on it and hope it will be possible but Android has an incredibly large range of devices all with different components and they handle the processing of sounds differently so it would be more complex to get an accurate and consistent tuning with an Android device. Fortunately Apple use roughly the same components across all device lines so accuracy is there.

Here's some more info on compatibility: Devices and Players That Are Compatible With TruePlay.

Best regards!
HI

I have just tried trueplay, so this is just my own thoughts on how and why.

1) yes only ios devices
2) when sonos can trust the feedback from the mic on an andriod devices. Not that they are bad, just that there is so many different decives.
3)the config/corrections is stored on the system, not the ios -device, so when config is done and enabled, it works for all devices/apps starting music on the configured spearker.
Hmm, too late with my reply
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Hmm, too late with my reply
Still a great reply, Kkbs! 🙂 🙂
Thanks. What I feared.
Looks like Sonos may have lost a system order! 😞
Bad basis for a decision. I have played around with Trueplay on my hitherto excellent set up, and found no difference.

And it is still excellent.

Many have reported improvements, but the point I am making is that Trueplay isn't a big deal if you can place your speakers in reasonable good places.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Bad basis for a decision. I have played around with Trueplay on my hitherto excellent set up, and found no difference.

And it is still excellent.

Many have reported improvements, but the point I am making is that Trueplay isn't a big deal if you can place your speakers in reasonable good places.

I agree. Even if you don't know somebody with an IOS device who would be prepared to give you 30 minutes of their time and tune for you the Sonos kit is awesome anyway.
I have just realized I'm going to find it difficult, I know plenty of people with iPhones I could borrow but the room my play:1 is in is at the far end of the house, out of WiFi range. I use android devices connecting to Sonosnet in there, never been an issue before but that's not going to work with an iPhone. Bumsy, don't know how to get around that...
I have just realized I'm going to find it difficult, I know plenty of people with iPhones I could borrow but the room my play:1 is in is at the far end of the house, out of WiFi range. I use android devices connecting to Sonosnet in there, never been an issue before but that's not going to work with an iPhone. Bumsy, don't know how to get around that...
Find a spare WAP or old router and plug it into the PLAY:1's Ethernet port.
Or obtain a sufficiently long Ethernet cable for occasions such as this.
Or obtain a sufficiently long Ethernet cable for occasions such as this.
How so? The last time I looked, an iPhone didn't have an Ethernet port. 😉
I don't have any WAPs, never needed one since they allowed connections to Sonosnet and the only old router I've got is my old one that's non-functioning. I'd have to borrow one of those from someone as well, which might be slightly more difficult. I couldn't even use a powerline wap as the two ends of the house are on different circuits (two consumer units). Hmmmmm...
I don't have any WAPs, never needed one since they allowed connections to Sonosnet and the only old router I've got is my old one that's non-functioning. I'd have to borrow one of those from someone as well, which might be slightly more difficult. I couldn't even use a powerline wap as the two ends of the house are on different circuits (two consumer units). Hmmmmm...

There is another potential option for you - depending on your situation and comfort with hacking an Android device...

You'll need to obtain the Password for the Sonos SSID off of your Android device. It's relatively easy to find IF you have a "Rooted" Android device. If not, you'll need to Root one of them or borrow a Rooted device from an acquaintance.

Once you find the PW for your Sonos SSID, connect your iDevice to SonosNet using those credentials. You should be good to go.

The instructions are out there (used to be one on the original Forums...) and you'll need to determine how to Root your specific Android device.

Could be quick & easy - or tedious

Best of Luck
Yeah that thought crossed my mind, I've got a few old android phones I could try, rooting doesn't reset the OS does it?
Yeah that thought crossed my mind, I've got a few old android phones I could try, rooting doesn't reset the OS does it?

Sorry, I never got that deep into rooting any of our 3 Android devices.

It was an initial interesting option but my need was never that pressing, so after reading up on the process, my mind just wandered off into other pursuits...

Some Google searching may get you your answer.

Best of Luck
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Moving this thread over to the Controllers board so it's with the other Trueplay questions.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings