Trueplay “lost speaker” issue

Userlevel 1
Halfway through my trueplay tuning while walking around the room, the app stops and reports a “lost speaker.” I can’t finish the tuning repeatedly. My sub and playbase are both functioning. Any ideas? I’m on iPhone X and iOS 11.4. Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

I think I'm slightly confused by your statement. Are all the speakers that you're running TruePlay still showing on the controller app, and it's just TruePlay that is saying that a speaker is missing, or do you lose a speaker from the controller app in the middle of running TruePlay, and it shows back up later?

I think there's a couple of potentials with regards to what might be causing this issue. One is that somehow your iPhone is losing connection to your wifi momentarily, which would likely generate that error message. The other is that your speaker(s) are dropping connection temporarily, which seems more likely, at least in my mind, especially given the recent software update, which often exposes issues in a local wifi setup.

So, given that, I'd recommend a refresh of your local wifi. Unplug your Sonos speakers from power. While they're unplugged, power cycle your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in the first speaker, and wait for it to finish booting up, say a minute or two. Once it's done, then move on to the next speaker, and plug that one in.

This will resolve a couple of potential issues. First, and foremost, it resets the router's DHCP table, and gives the Sonos speakers fresh IP addresses. It also has the potential of resetting the DNS on your router, which occasionally helps things, although not likely this particular situation.

Give that a shot and see if that helps. If it doesn't, and I'm not making any guaranties....(but I'd give it 95% chance of fixing it), then I'd suggest that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Userlevel 1
Yes, all speakers continue to show and are completely functional. This is simply during actual Trueplay tuning, where you walk around the room waving your phone. I’ll give it a go with the wifi, but there are no other symptoms of problematic connection (for example, we never drop audio to the six Sonos zones in the house.
That's pretty odd, then. I'd recommend that the next time it fails, you immediately run that diagnostic I was talking about, maybe Sonos can find something in the data.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'm having this EXACT same issue! I have Playbar, Sub, and two Play: 1's as L and R surrounds. They are all playing sound, but the exact same problem happens to me during the Trueplay tuning process. I'm using a brand new iPhone 8 plus and even tried another family members iPhone X, and the same issue happened where it said something like "Trueplay can't complete tuning because it can't hear a speaker". It's extremely frustrating. My home is completely silent and there isn't a case on the iPhone when I attempt Trueplay. I will note that about a week ago, when I first set up everything, Trueplay worked all the way through. I rearranged some furniture and want to retune and this is the issue I'm having. I'm also using a BOOST which all speakers are connected to with WM: 0
I am having the same issue while trying to tune playbar with sub. Pls help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

Airgetlam's advice is good. Please submit a diagnostic report after trying to Trueplay your 5.1 setups. Reply with the confirmation numbers and I'll take a look.
I have the exact problem, and in 2 different rooms on two separate systems. I submitted a diagnostic report and received a confirmation number. NO RESPONSE YET.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have the exact problem, and in 2 different rooms on two separate systems. I submitted a diagnostic report and received a confirmation number. NO RESPONSE YET.

Hi there,

We don't know when you submit a diagnostic report, it's best to let us know. Please reply with the confirmation number and a description of the issue you're seeing.
My diagnostics confirmation number is 806355314
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sending in the report. It looks like you're using a CONNECT:AMP to power rear speakers in a surround setup. This can work, but the CONNECT:AMP does not have the needed 5 ghz antenna, so either the CONNECT:AMP must be wired into the PLAYBAR with an ethernet cable, or both the PLAYBAR and CONNECT:AMP must be wired into your network with an ethernet cable. This is so the PLAYBAR can send the low-latency, high-bandwidth TV audio to the CONNECT:AMP. This is likely why your Trueplay tuning is reporting this error.

You can read more on using CONNECT:AMPs for surround setups here.
I’m running into issues with this too. iPhone X and iPad Pro, both on 12.0.1 having the lost speaker issue during the tuning walk about. I’m running a PlayBase, Sub, and 2 Play:1 as surround. Diagnostic info submitted 1444068480
I have it too. All speakers are working normally. iPhone X. Any solution yet?
I'm having the same issues as many of the people are describing above. Both my playbar and my connect amp are connected with an ethernet cable. I'm getting sound out of my surrounds when running trueplay tuning, but a get the "lost speaker" error message and can't complete the process. I've unplugged my connect amp and playbar, restarted my router, and then re-plugged my connect amp and playbar in order to reset IP addresses. That made no difference as I still got the same error. Here is my diagnostics number. 1330659978 Please help!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Jeff S. I am having the same issue. My set up:

Playbar (wired to network)
Amp (wired to network controlling 2 in-ceiling speakers as L/R)
Newly added sub

Running trueplay and continues to say lost speaker.

Diagnostic #1840692400

Thank you,
Ryan
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I just saw a post from Sonos staff here on a Sunday so there may be hope of a fast answer but usually the twitter or facebook contact options are better for having diagnostics looked at, open and staffed 24x7.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thx Stanley for the advice. Reposting here today (Monday) to see if I can get some guidance from Sonos on my issue. Please help, Sonos support!

Jeff S. I am having the same issue. My set up:

Playbar (wired to network)
Amp (wired to network controlling 2 in-ceiling speakers as L/R)
Newly added sub

Running trueplay and continues to say lost speaker.

Diagnostic #1840692400

Thank you,
Ryan
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Good luck, the forum staff try hard but working with this forum software is like swimming with your feet in a tub of concrete.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

I'm not seeing any obvious cause in your reports for the error you're receiving. I'd recommend reaching out to our phone team for further troubleshooting. You can find our phone number and hours in your region here.
I have a similar issue.
Playbar (wired to the network)
Amp (wired to Playbar controlling 2 in-ceiling speakers as L/R)
Sub
Diagnostic #2055173072
Same issue for me as well.
Playbar wired to router
Connect Amp wired to Playbar (used for surround speakers)
Sub
Diagnostic 1537931328

Thanks for sending in the report. It looks like you're using a CONNECT:AMP to power rear speakers in a surround setup. This can work, but the CONNECT:AMP does not have the needed 5 ghz antenna, so either the CONNECT:AMP must be wired into the PLAYBAR with an ethernet cable, or both the PLAYBAR and CONNECT:AMP must be wired into your network with an ethernet cable. This is so the PLAYBAR can send the low-latency, high-bandwidth TV audio to the CONNECT:AMP. This is likely why your Trueplay tuning is reporting this error.

You can read more on using CONNECT:AMPs for surround setups here.

Had similar issue of Lost Speaker, was connecting not Amp Connect and Sound part to network vs relying on WiFi I was able to successfully complete Trueplay setup.

Suggestion would be to include a bit more information when unboxing if not at least a one page warning.
Was on the phone with Sonos support for 1.5 hours regarding this issue. Tech was supposed to send me a case # after I updated iOS but never did. He was calling me back during testing so I don’t have a way of reaching him. Below is my setup and what we did and noticed. I still have the issue.

Sonos Equipment (Bedroom):

- Sonos Beam (Beam hardwired to Connect:Amp via RJ45)
- Connect:Amp (Powering two in cealing speakers)
- Sonos Sub
- Sonos Boost

Note: I have a Sonos Sub, Sonos Playbar, Connect:Amp and 2 Sonos Play5s in a completely separate room.

Room Information (Bedroom):

- 14ftx14ft
- All Sonos equipment located within room
- Room is completely silent

Sonos App:

- iPhone 8 Plus running 12.1.4
- iPad Mini (newest one) running 12.1.4

Things we tried during troubleshooting:

- In Sonos app we changed SonosNet Channel from 11 to 1.
- Diaabled the Wifi completely to assure the devices were using the Boost (WM: 0).
- Deleted the Connect:Amp completely from the room then re-added it.
- Verified WiFi was strong.
- Updated iPhone and iPad to 12.1.4.
- Reset Modem and wireless access points (Google WiFi).
- Tried to hardwire the sub to wireless access port using an RJ45 cable.

Things notesed during trouble shooting:

1) I didn’t have this issue until I added the Sub. When it was just the Playbar and Connect:Amp I was able to tune.

2) If I stand about 4 feet away from the Beam during tuning I’m able to get past the first phase of tuning. If I go over 4ft it will loose a speaker. This is where you just stand there with your device running the app. Once it moves on to the second portion where you walk around it looses the speaker a little over half way in.

Diagnostics Code: 1306808956
Was on the phone with Sonos support for 1.5 hours regarding this issue. Tech was supposed to send me a case # after I updated iOS but never did. He was calling me back during testing so I don’t have a way of reaching him. Below is my setup and what we did and noticed. I still have the issue.

Sonos Equipment (Bedroom):

- Sonos Beam (Beam hardwired to Connect:Amp via RJ45)
- Connect:Amp (Powering two in cealing speakers)
- Sonos Sub
- Sonos Boost

Note: I have a Sonos Sub, Sonos Playbar, Connect:Amp and 2 Sonos Play5s in a completely separate room.

Room Information (Bedroom):

- 14ftx14ft
- All Sonos equipment located within room
- Room is completely silent

Sonos App:

- iPhone 8 Plus running 12.1.4
- iPad Mini (newest one) running 12.1.4

Things we tried during troubleshooting:

- In Sonos app we changed SonosNet Channel from 11 to 1.
- Diaabled the Wifi completely to assure the devices were using the Boost (WM: 0).
- Deleted the Connect:Amp completely from the room then re-added it.
- Verified WiFi was strong.
- Updated iPhone and iPad to 12.1.4.
- Reset Modem and wireless access points (Google WiFi).
- Tried to hardwire the sub to wireless access port using an RJ45 cable.

Things notesed during trouble shooting:

1) I didn’t have this issue until I added the Sub. When it was just the Playbar and Connect:Amp I was able to tune.

2) If I stand about 4 feet away from the Beam during tuning I’m able to get past the first phase of tuning. If I go over 4ft it will loose a speaker. This is where you just stand there with your device running the app. Once it moves on to the second portion where you walk around it looses the speaker a little over half way in.

Diagnostics Code: 1306808956

Resolved this issue with @SonosSupport using Twitter. The issue was a bad RJ45 cable which ran from the Sonos Beam to the Connect:Amp.
CAT 5 or CAT6, more likely. RJ45 is a telephone cable. 🙂
CAT 5 or CAT6, more likely. RJ45 is a telephone cable. :)

It’s at Cat6 cable with an RJ45 connector. RJ11 is a telephone connector.