Trueplay for Connect:AMP

I have 5 Connect:Amp's in my home. They are excellent, but the tuning of the sound can be even better. I've been waiting patiently for Trueplay to be added as a feature since it was first announced. When will Sonos add it for the Connect:AMP?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
How about licensing ARC (Anthem Room Correction) for the sonos devices? I am currently using multiple Paradigm PW amps with sonos connect and amp units for the sole purpose of ARC - this way I have the best of both worlds - sonos interface with top notch room correction software.
There are many solutions that do not require controlling the speakers. Representative solutions include D.C.A.C. EX, D.C.A.C. and Advanced D.C.A.C., Audyssey MultEQ, etc. Every retail AV receiver uses one of these solutions to optimize for each of the speakers and the room. They take into account the varying capabilities of each individual speaker, the placement of the speaker and it's relative position to the listener, the acoustics of room, the size of the room (including ceiling height for reflections), and how the speakers interact with each other. At least one solution, D.C.A.C. EX, matches the phase across all the speakers despite any poor wiring by the user. These solutions have been available for many years.

These AV receivers use wired microphones, which is less elegant than using an iPhone. So Sonos should be able to make it work with an even better user experience, which is the hallmark of the Sonos brand.

With Trueplay available for multiple devices, it seems like most of the code is already written. How hard can it be to extend Trueplay to the most expensive audio solution Sonos offers?
There are many solutions to the trueplay issue as it stands.The current standard reply by Sonos is that they can only tune speakers that they have the known profiles of. IE, their own speakers. This would point to a lack of processing capacity, so they work with a very narrow sample. High end amp processors that have built in room calibration have that feature baked into the their architecture, often with a calibrated mic. At the end of the day, Sonos want to sell its products, not support other speaker manufacturers, hence there is no motivation to move ahead and develop trueplay for the connect line. What there is though for the hifi enthusiast, is the option of adding a processor between your Sonos & self powered studio monitors or into your amp. Something like the Drive rack by DBX which is what I use on my system, it works a treat. https://dbxpro.com/en/products/driverack-pa2