Trueplay for Android or at least Samsung phones

Userlevel 2
Please provide Trueplay support for Samsung phones, otherwise your company is missing out another 50% potential customers (or existing customers).

https://www.idc.com/promo/smartphone-market-share/vendor

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

I think the solution would be to buy a cheap second hand iPod from ebay, sign into the Sonos app on it and use it as required.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S9. It's as good as anything on the market, but I understand the situation.
Sonos haven't limited their support to iOS, they've decided on a product to compliment Trueplay. As a recording engineer, I understand the calibration issues. It's not about quality so much as it's about consistency.
If they write software for Samsung, nothing will improve as far as customer demand goes. Every Sonos owner with a Nokia, Pixel, LG or whatever, will makes demands regarding their model of phone.
I've never owned an Apple product in my life, but if older models do the trick, I'm happy to pick one up as a room tuning device.
Which leads to my question, how far back does Trueplay compatibility go as far as iPods and iPhones go?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
This still needs to be addressed. Somehow my system had a major hiccup and i lost the voice channel from my front sound bar and my surround speakers were way too loud. Nothing was change. Im a samsung user and did not have the ability to retune the room. I only had the ability to turn off true play, and it did not improve the problem. Until i located someone with an apple product, my sonos system was completely useless, as well as my entire entertainment system. I love my sonos. I currently own 7 sonos products, but im finding it hard to continue to recommend sonos unless they support devices other than apple. I see this as a system/product defect.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
yep.

They aren't going to answer here AGAIN! Do what you like just giving you suggestion if you actually wanted to talk to Sonos about yourself vs. just complaining to complain.
What a bunch of passive aggressive nonsense. :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Nah, probably better in the forum for others to see.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You would probably be better off just PM'ing Ryan if you want some reassurance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I did but couldn't find anything from Sonos saying they've tested or even looked at the new devices.
That's why I said I'd appreciate them chiming in in here.
I wonder how many i devices are tested to be statistically significant or again, if Apple just confirm there's only 1 (or however many) supplier(s) of their microphones per device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can search the forum same as I or contact Sonos rep directly about.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Yes, i know they attempted it a while back - I think it was.around S7 release.
If you can point me to where they confirmed they repeated this on the new models that would be great.
Regarding repeating anything over and over, I don't know why they would either. Who suggested them doing so? It's certainly possible though that even on an S7 (still sold new) that parts have been standardised down the line.
Samsung themselves should be able to confirm or otherwise this to Sonos directly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They have chimed in multiple times saying they attempted to certify even specific popular models such as Samsungs (thinking at least they could take care of a large subsection) and they still found the microphones were completely inconsistent even on the same model phone. I don't know why they need to repeat that over and over (yea as I am).
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I'd be interesting in Sonos chiming in in relation to the above.
More and more I get the impression it's actually a rather small R & D outfit (even for Apple devices, many things follow on quite a bit later for new models - as though Sonos don't have access to pre-production models so things can be working upon release). I can imagine employees loaning their personal devices to be used for the testing.
Were older Samsung models re-tested, were even S8 and S9 models tested unsatisfactorily or supply chain variations assumed to still be the same?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos has publically stated they tested various phones even if the same model and the microphones varied. Because samsu g and the such use multiple vendors.

Apple, probably because they sell less phones, is able to use a single microphone suppplier and this trueplay works well.

Now call Sonos liars, and then why bother complaining, or accept the fact that is the limitation. It can’t be difficult to borrow an IPhone or as a prior user get one out of drawer. Those probably would take less time then spending time spamming a public forum.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
As a 10 year iPhone user....

Maybe you don't understand that these forums are mostly user to user with a visit or two on most week days by a Sonos staffer.

What you do by spamming the forum is aggravate the users that are volunteering their time to help others and likely being ignored by the Sonos folks that are looking for issues they can solve and diagnostic numbers they can evaluate.

If you want to communicate with Sonos their e-mail is far the best method, clear and easily shared by all at Sonos Hq. Phones get you an interactive connection but you are going to have to hold, then get past the tech to someone interested in your issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Why do you feel you have to post the same thing over and over on every thread on the subject. You must have read the threads to find answer.

I will spam my reply once more:

They have stated MULTIPLE TIMES that they CAN NOT do Trueplay on Android phones because Android isn't consistent on its microphone vendors. They have tried and tested units multiple times and Android proves to be too difficult to get consistency.

I assume you must have given away your old iPhone - but I would suggest picking up some old one cheap (just turn on wifi no phone service needed) or have a friend with iPhone come do the calibration for you.
Userlevel 2
As a 10 year iPhone user, I switched to a Google Pixel 3XL this fall and have no plans on returning to iPhone anytime soon. Last year I spent $2,400 on Sonos speakers. Tonight I discovered that I can no longer tune them because I am not using an Apple iPhone??? That is pure disregard for your customers. While I love the sound from my Sonos speakers, they do have a great deal of limitations compared to a much cheaper bluetooth system (i.e. no way to play sound from iOS applications). I was willing to work around those limitations, but this discovery is too large of a pill to swallow. You make a Sonos app for my $1,000 pixel phone, but you're not willing to include tuning capabilities unless I am an iPhone user? If this isn't fixed, or at least acknowledged as an issue that is being addressed in the near future, I'll happily leave your system and move onto something better. I did it with Apple, I can certainly do it with Sonos. 😠
And I'd predict a rocky release, where people would complain about why some speakers have the capability (because they have the microphones!) and others don't.

But I do indeed like the fact that it levels the playing field for iOS and Android users.

I wonder if it will have the capability of using a single speaker with a microphone to balance others that don't. So, if you had a pair of stereo PLAY:1s in a room with a Beam or Sonos One, you could access the function for all 3 speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That will be interesting to see, how it deals with many of the issues of achieving an even sound field without having microphones in the areas of interest.

I use a system similar to TruePlay on a couple receivers, watching the differences from moving the mike a couple feet in any of the six directions, or combinations, is quite interesting. Doing a single point equalization in multiple locations and comparing the settings between them is more frustrating than educational for most folks, me included, as I'm not an audio expert. Two chairs about four feet apart generate wildly different settings, particularly at the lower frequencies.
SOON, TRUEPLAY WON’T REQUIRE AWKWARDLY WALKING AROUND A ROOM WITH YOUR IPHONE, AND SONOS SPEAKERS WILL AUTOMATICALLY INSTALL UPDATES

Sonos allows users to tailor the sound produced by its speakers for any room through a process it calls TruePlay. The Sonos app uses the mic on an iOS device to detect the room’s characteristics, and then it adjusts the speaker’s sound for maximum performance. But this requires actually getting up and walking around the room with your iPhone while the Sonos emits beeps and other tones. Sonos did it first, but Apple and Google have since come up with ways of doing this sound optimization automatically with sophisticated analysis and without any user involvement. According to Spence, Sonos is working to offer the same thing. “We’re working on that now, to do it without you needing to do anything,” he said.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/15/17465084/sonos-ceo-vergecast-interview-google-assistant-siri-atmos
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You might be able to do some tuning with a speaker located mike but to get the sound right for your seating position you need the mike there. If you are trying for an overall room balance then you need multiple mike locations or a single mike used at multiple positions where you are trying to achieve balance.
Pretty sure the speakers with mics will tune themselves to the room at some point, likely next year.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Borrow an Apple device and a grandkid along with it, saves a lot of work and keeps the grandkid occupied while you nap.
Good thing I have an Ipad mini but sucks if I didn't.

"Buddy, can I borrow your Apple device to set up my $2000+ sound systems?"
"They don't support Android phones"
"What the crap? ". answered..."Yeah"
Can't believe people are still talking about this subject til this day. I just bought the Sub and Playbar yesterday and didn't know Trueplay existed as I was just looking at options on my Android device. This great feature unfortunately is not available to Android users. Why can't they just include a cheap mic for Android users only and be done with it? REALLY UNACCEPTABLE excuse from Sonos as there were cheaper options available to them! Could have just included a cheap mic and this forum won't be bombarded with trueplay discussions from Android users.
Sonosjunkie,

That’s a lot of money spent in just one quarter of last year eh?

Anyhow, here is what Sonos have to say about this topic in their Trueplay support pages... (quote):

Why doesn’t Trueplay work with Android devices?
“We realize many Sonos users, and music lovers considering Sonos, are happy Android users that want to use their phone or tablet of choice to Trueplay tune their Sonos speakers. Unfortunately due to the wide variety of devices on the Android platform using different software versions, microphones and ways to process audio we could not ensure a consistent and reliable Trueplay tuning experience thus far. It’s absolutely our intent to support Trueplay on Android so know we haven’t lost sight of this gap and are quite unhappy about the lack of Android support.”

Personally, it’s probably easier perhaps for a customer to borrow an iPhone off a friend or relative for 1/4 hour, install the App, and setup trueplay tuning and then forget it. Most of us leave our Sonos speakers in the same place anyway and very little usually changes in a room.

I think I’ve maybe used the feature once or twice in the past 12 to 18 months. Just to get rid of the 'little red dot' that appears next to my untuned room name.

I think Sonos has chosen to prioritise the Alexa/AirPlay/Google stuff first and probably 'Trueplay on Android' has been pushed down the development list ... I wouldn’t blame Sonos for making that decision. If anything, (Google) Android need to get all the manufacturers together and agree certain 'acceptable' standards around some of the hardware incorporated in the Android devices, perhaps?

That said, I can’t remember now, whether or not, I gave my 'ex-best mate' his nice new iPhone 8 back ? 😃
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
As mentioned I think there are other factors at play, not just hardware and software. Even if we assume that there might be a higher cost of developing and maintaining a consitant and equivalent capability for android, it is feasible that sonos have determined that the feature is not commercially important enough (to them) in comparison to other priorities for their roadmap. At least for now. The technical argument is maybe more paltable to communicate to customers.

Samsung may sell more handsets as the stats make clear. In sheer numbers. But I dare say that those figures include their entire range and not only their premium ohones. Apple simply don’t sell lower end phones.

There is also anecdotal evidence that Apple users simply spend more money on services that compliment their phone. It’d be interesting to know if this example (apps) translates to ‘sonos spend’ by Apple vs Samsung users.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/appleinsider.com/articles/18/01/26/apples-ios-app-store-users-spent-115-billion-in-q4-95-more-than-google-play/amp/