Trueplay for Android or at least Samsung phones

Userlevel 2
Please provide Trueplay support for Samsung phones, otherwise your company is missing out another 50% potential customers (or existing customers).

https://www.idc.com/promo/smartphone-market-share/vendor

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
As a 10 year iPhone user....

Maybe you don't understand that these forums are mostly user to user with a visit or two on most week days by a Sonos staffer.

What you do by spamming the forum is aggravate the users that are volunteering their time to help others and likely being ignored by the Sonos folks that are looking for issues they can solve and diagnostic numbers they can evaluate.

If you want to communicate with Sonos their e-mail is far the best method, clear and easily shared by all at Sonos Hq. Phones get you an interactive connection but you are going to have to hold, then get past the tech to someone interested in your issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos has publically stated they tested various phones even if the same model and the microphones varied. Because samsu g and the such use multiple vendors.

Apple, probably because they sell less phones, is able to use a single microphone suppplier and this trueplay works well.

Now call Sonos liars, and then why bother complaining, or accept the fact that is the limitation. It can’t be difficult to borrow an IPhone or as a prior user get one out of drawer. Those probably would take less time then spending time spamming a public forum.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I'd be interesting in Sonos chiming in in relation to the above.
More and more I get the impression it's actually a rather small R & D outfit (even for Apple devices, many things follow on quite a bit later for new models - as though Sonos don't have access to pre-production models so things can be working upon release). I can imagine employees loaning their personal devices to be used for the testing.
Were older Samsung models re-tested, were even S8 and S9 models tested unsatisfactorily or supply chain variations assumed to still be the same?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They have chimed in multiple times saying they attempted to certify even specific popular models such as Samsungs (thinking at least they could take care of a large subsection) and they still found the microphones were completely inconsistent even on the same model phone. I don't know why they need to repeat that over and over (yea as I am).
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Yes, i know they attempted it a while back - I think it was.around S7 release.
If you can point me to where they confirmed they repeated this on the new models that would be great.
Regarding repeating anything over and over, I don't know why they would either. Who suggested them doing so? It's certainly possible though that even on an S7 (still sold new) that parts have been standardised down the line.
Samsung themselves should be able to confirm or otherwise this to Sonos directly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can search the forum same as I or contact Sonos rep directly about.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I did but couldn't find anything from Sonos saying they've tested or even looked at the new devices.
That's why I said I'd appreciate them chiming in in here.
I wonder how many i devices are tested to be statistically significant or again, if Apple just confirm there's only 1 (or however many) supplier(s) of their microphones per device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You would probably be better off just PM'ing Ryan if you want some reassurance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Nah, probably better in the forum for others to see.
What a bunch of passive aggressive nonsense. :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
yep.

They aren't going to answer here AGAIN! Do what you like just giving you suggestion if you actually wanted to talk to Sonos about yourself vs. just complaining to complain.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
This still needs to be addressed. Somehow my system had a major hiccup and i lost the voice channel from my front sound bar and my surround speakers were way too loud. Nothing was change. Im a samsung user and did not have the ability to retune the room. I only had the ability to turn off true play, and it did not improve the problem. Until i located someone with an apple product, my sonos system was completely useless, as well as my entire entertainment system. I love my sonos. I currently own 7 sonos products, but im finding it hard to continue to recommend sonos unless they support devices other than apple. I see this as a system/product defect.
I think the solution would be to buy a cheap second hand iPod from ebay, sign into the Sonos app on it and use it as required.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S9. It's as good as anything on the market, but I understand the situation.
Sonos haven't limited their support to iOS, they've decided on a product to compliment Trueplay. As a recording engineer, I understand the calibration issues. It's not about quality so much as it's about consistency.
If they write software for Samsung, nothing will improve as far as customer demand goes. Every Sonos owner with a Nokia, Pixel, LG or whatever, will makes demands regarding their model of phone.
I've never owned an Apple product in my life, but if older models do the trick, I'm happy to pick one up as a room tuning device.
Which leads to my question, how far back does Trueplay compatibility go as far as iPods and iPhones go?