Answered

Trouble using Airplay from MacBook Pro

• 5 January 2021
  • 5 replies

I just got my Sonos Beam set up and it’s been playing music great from my iPhone, iPad, and just from the Sonos itself after setting up a voice assistant. 

However, I’ve run into a problem with my 2016 MacBook Pro. Whenever I Airplay computer audio to the Beam, it looks like everything is working correctly: the Sonos app even displays the correct Youtube video name. But there is no sound coming out of the speaker itself.

I wanted to listen to songs on YouTube using Airplay from my computer. Any idea why this might not be working? I’ve tried the standard troubleshooting process (restarting the speaker, computer, and router) But so far still nothing. Any help would be appreciated

icon

Best answer by Annazel S 6 January 2021, 00:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @RvdS!.

Thanks for your response and update.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, the errors are still detected by the system on the initial diagnostic still exists, though I believe that the suggestions in the above article to reduce wireless interference around your Sonos products were followed.

Since the issue seems to be specifically happening on the Mac, let’s check if your device meets the AirPlay 2 system requirements through the Apple support article and learn what to do if you can't stream content with AirPlay, on your iOS device or Mac.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out.

Dear Annazel,
thank you for checking the issue, much appreciated!

I have just tried playing from YouTube and other websites from my MacBook Air: no results. Videos on the Mac even stop playing. Diagnostic report number: 1452633646

Then I played the same videos from my iPhone XR and was able to listen to the sound on the Sonos speaker without any issues. Diagnostic report number: can't make it, because when switching on the phone from YouTube or the browser to the Sonos App, the music stops playing (which is normal).

Both the iPhone and the MacBook Air are on the same WIFI as the Sonos Speaker.

I also have another Sonos product: Play1, which is also in the same WIFI network, but it does not offer the Airplay functionality.

What would you advise me to do next?

Thank you in advance!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @RvdS!.

Thanks for reaching out, let me check it for you.

Have you tried using other Airplay devices if there are any, to see if the issue will occur?

Upon checking the diagnostic report, there are errors detected by the system that usually results in audio interruption.

Commonly, this condition is due to interference, and this article will help you reduce wireless interference around your Sonos products.

If the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number,  so I can check your system further.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions feel free to reach out.

I am having the same problem, using MacBook Air 2017 with Sonos 1, trying to stream from YouTube (Safari browser), the YouTube video even just stops playing (!) as soon as I with to Airplay to my Sonos 1 device.

MacBook has latest OS BigSur11.1

Sonos One, OS: S2 Build 61183220

Diagnostic report nr: 132209645

Thank you!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @wumbo.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community! Let me help you figure this out.

Sonos is only compatible with AirPlay 2. Check if your Apple devices can play AirPlay 2 audio in Apple’s AirPlay article

We need to make sure that the Mac is up to date with the latest version of the Mac operating system, is it using the version required?

If your macOS isn't up to date, you may be able to update to a later version.

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a diagnostic report through the Sonos app and provide us with the confirmation number, so I can see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Let us know how that goes.