Trouble doing a factory reset for a ZP100

• 30 January 2018
  • 6 replies

I'm trying to do a factory reset to clear all the settings of a ZP100.

I've done the following:
1) Unplugged the ZP100 and waited for a minute
2) Pressed the Mute button and plugged the ZP100 back in
3) Waited for the orange/amber light to flash

However, instead of turning flashing green it reverts to solid white light.

Would appreciate any help? (And I've tried contacting Sonos customer support but they say since I bought this unit used (off ebay), I'm not entitled to support.)

The reason I'm doing a reset is because the ZP100 no longer connects to my home internet - wired or wireless - so I'd like to "start over" with it in hopes that I can get it to connect. (It used to work before the Holidays...)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

First, I am very surprised that Sonos were unwilling to provide support on those grounds. I know that they will refuse to even contemplate replacement / discounts for eBay purchases, and I get that..... but no support? I think you might try again and see if you get the same response.

I can't offer much comfort though.... when a unit won't work and fails to factory reset it's not looking good. I assume you are continuing to hold the button down after plugging into power, not releasing immediately?
Thanks for the reply, John.

I should restate it - Sonos is providing support via Twitter but basically, confirmed that my attempt to do a factory reset won't work and as such, they can't do anything further until I get the original proof of purchase (from 2006 no less) before providing any more support.

Yes, I've done both methods of factory resetting. I've held the mute button down as I've powered it up, waiting for the flashing amber/orange light and then released it before it turned solid white. I also held it down, even as the flashing orange/amber light flashed and then turned solid white. It looks like it just won't do a factory reset. It's odd - I've bricked mobile phones and this ZP100 doesn't appear to bricked in the same sense. It just won't take to a complete factory reset.
I'm with John on this, quite surprised that they need a "original proof of purchase". I don't think I could do that for any of my 16 speakers.

I'd be tempted to try phoning in, rather than dealing with the Twitter folks. I don't know if they're the same people, but I'd assume that you'd get someone else, and probably get the assistance you need. But as John says, when it won't do the reset properly, it may be beyond help.
Userlevel 3
Badge
(And I've tried contacting Sonos customer support but they say since I bought this unit used (off ebay), I'm not entitled to support.)

I believe that practice is Illegal under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
Thanks for the reply, John.

Yes, I've done both methods of factory resetting. I've held the mute button down as I've powered it up, waiting for the flashing amber/orange light and then released it before it turned solid white. I also held it down, even as the flashing orange/amber light flashed and then turned solid white. It looks like it just won't do a factory reset. It's odd - I've bricked mobile phones and this ZP100 doesn't appear to bricked in the same sense. It just won't take to a complete factory reset.
Have you actually tried to add it back into your system and see if it works?
(And I've tried contacting Sonos customer support but they say since I bought this unit used (off ebay), I'm not entitled to support.)

I believe that practice is Illegal under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
Except this is way out of warranty (although I have no idea exactly what that Act says)