Answered

Transfer Sonos Playlist to New Wireless Connection

• 2 January 2018
  • 9 replies

I am changing wireless connections and want to play my existing Sonos Playlist on the new connection after we move.

Is there a way to save/export the sonos playlist before I change connections which I can then import when the new wireless connection is set up?

The playlist has built over time and now has thousands of songs in so we don't want to lose it!

Thanks in advance for any help.
icon

Best answer by John B 2 January 2018, 17:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Changing wireless credentials will not erase any playlists you have.
If I open Sonos on my home wifi connection I can't see the playlists that I created on the Sonos on our office connection.

So what's the difference if my wireless router, credentials, password etc has changed from moving offices?

I'm opening it on the same device, but see different favourites, playlists etc in each location...
Playlists are stored on the players. The app is just a controller. Changing systems and changing wifi are totally different actions. There are clear instructions for changing wireless connection on the Sonos website. Do NOT set up as if a new system or you will lose playlists completely.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
This seems a rather poorly considered feature decision. In order to setup the system after a change you need to provide your sonos account details (would also be useful if the app remembered your details or at least your email address), so it would be far better to store your playlists with the account. It also loses all your streaming services, which again would be better stored with the account. So is there no way now to get my 3.5 year created playlists back or moved after changing the configuration? I had a connect amp wired to my router and used it to communicate with my other 4 devices. While remodeling the room it had to be disconnected hence the new temporary setup.
There was absolutely no need to set up the system again. User misunderstanding, I am afraid ,
It mystifies me why users think that a simple change in WiFi requires a system to be set up again, as from new. Just go to the main support page and search for "WiFi", here: https://support.sonos.com/s/global-search/wifi. Topmost item: "Replaced your router or changed WiFi settings?".
If you have a player that has not been reset you should be able to recover using that
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
This wasn't a simple WiFi or router change, I recently changed my router with no issues. This was a configuration change as I had to remove my connect amps lan cable from the router and wanted a temporary setup over WiFi in the room. I did manage to get some of my speakers working and access to my playlists by hard wiring one of my play 1s to the router.
Again, there's never a need to setup afresh when switching to 'Standard' (WiFi) mode.
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209