trade up concern is notice my system is soon to br unsupported

• 8 November 2019
  • 7 replies

Hello I not trade up has been announced does this mean  the connect and zp90 are shortly to be unsupported

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hello I not trade up has been announced does this mean  the connect and zp90 are shortly to be unsupported

Sonos was still selling new Connects up to the introduction of the Port a couple of months ago, so it’s unlikely. There’d be a bit of a fuss, I think ...

Thank you the latest Sonos  connect I think is on sale but these I anticipate are new variants I was an early adopter in relative terms 2009  so all my connects (5) and connects Amp (2) are identified as trade up. E.g version 1

i presume all the connect on sale currently are latter variants eg version 2 or above hence supportable

it looks Like all my version will fall out of support but when ? Is not known.

Will my system become unstable  I I take no action, mprobably.

i am just look for clarity as I think we have arrived at a break point break for me on the sustainability of wireless convenience.

it does not bode well for early adopters as Sonos meets the latest tech refresh but would appreciate greater clarity to assist decision  eg spend £k to maintain wireless convenience or let it die

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thank you the latest Sonos  connect I think is on sale but these I anticipate are new variants I was an early adopter in relative terms 2009  so all my connects (5) and connects Amp (2) are identified as trade up. E.g version 1

The Connect (ZP90) and Connect:Amp (ZP120) were basically unchanged up to the point they were discontinued recently. There were no modifications introduced that would affect their supportability. (My fairly new ZP120 is flagged for trade up.)

The earlier variants (ZP80, ZP100) are different, but it’s a long time since these were sold new.

I think you have several years before you need to worry.

So I have just contacted Sonos really great help.

trade up must not be confused with support ability of your current products, your current products shall venture to be supported and there is not tech refresh date or plans to phase out the current connect of connect Amp.

so what is trade up we’ll quite simply it is nothing more than “ buy more stuff”

if you remain with you current kit apart from not supportable for the foreseeable future, you will not see features such as direct steaming from IOS or have a 12 volt trigger.

i am staying with the old kit those benefits are not a game changer mire a first world  issue

Phew I thought Sonos had thrown us to the wolves like Apple

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Sonos does appear to have worried a few people unnecessarily with this trade-in scheme. With the ‘bricking’ of the CR100 and Dock -- the first Sonos devices in history to be rendered unusable by updates -- there’s understandable nervousness about the older player devices.

(FWIW, there's no fundamental technical reason why Sonos would have to brick older devices. From a software perspective it’s entirely possible to support a mixture of devices with different capabilities and software versions. It would be a business decision to render them non-functional.)

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

(FWIW, there's no fundamental technical reason why Sonos would have to brick older devices. From a software perspective it’s entirely possible to support a mixture of devices with different capabilities and software versions. It would be a business decision to render them non-functional.)

That's interesting. I assumed that they wouldn't be able to have a mixture of software versions. 

if you remain with you current kit apart from not supportable for the foreseeable future, you will not see features such as direct steaming from IOS or have a 12 volt trigger.

i am staying with the old kit those benefits are not a game changer mire a first world  issue

Phew I thought Sonos had thrown us to the wolves like Apple

Since the tradeup program is optional, this is the right decision for a lot of people.  I have 2 Connects and a Connect:Amp, and plan on only trading up a single Connect since the other 2 devices are still in service and doing there job well.  The new features of the Amp and Port aren’t worth it at this time.  The single Connect is sitting in a drawer though.  I don’t plan on doing the tradeup until a need arises or Sonos introduces a new product that I want.