Track and music library storage statistics

This used to be available as part of the support info, but disappeared with an earlier release of software. How do I now find out this information, please?
Do I really have to submit a diagnostic every time I want to know this essential information?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This info is no longer user-retrievable. It was removed from the user-accessible support pages in the name of security and/or privacy, because a few thousand people around the world have felt the need to make their Sonos device(s) accessible to the entire internet with improper port forwards or firewall rules.
This info is no longer user-retrievable. It was removed from the user-accessible support pages in the name of security and/or privacy, because a few thousand people around the world have felt the need to make their Sonos device(s) accessible to the entire internet with improper port forwards or firewall rules.
So is the only option to submit a diagnostic and ask support?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, amun. While Sonos Support will be happy to take a closer look at a diagnostic report, exactly what information are you looking to retrieve? Depending on the data you are looking for, you might be able to access it in a different way. Thanks!
Hi Keith. That’s good news. I need to see my local library track statistics... how many tracks/characters/store is used. It is very helpful to me when trying to keep my collection loaded below 65,000 tracks. I hope there is a workaround! If not, can that information be restored next update? If Mike’s post is correct, I can’t understand how track data is a privacy violation.
Hi Keith. That’s good news. I need to see my local library track statistics... how many tracks/characters/store is used. It is very helpful to me when trying to keep my collection loaded below 65,000 tracks. I hope there is a workaround! If not, can that information be restored next update? If Mike’s post is correct, I can’t understand how track data is a privacy violation.

The "privacy" issue comes into play because when certain ports are open to the internet, the information can be available to anyone who wishes to hack into your system through that port. Sonos closed off access in order to protect the privacy of those who (stupidly) opened their systems to the public.
Hi there, amun. While Sonos Support will be happy to take a closer look at a diagnostic report, exactly what information are you looking to retrieve? Depending on the data you are looking for, you might be able to access it in a different way. Thanks!
I'd like to know the number of tracks used out of the 65,000 total, but more importantly I need to know about the amount of store taken up versus the total store. When I could last access it I was at about 91% store, and I've since added about 100 CDs, so I need to know how close I am to the limit, or even whether I've exceeded it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I asked a few folks around the office for some thoughts on this and learned that the queue has a maximum of 65,000 tracks and a 5,455,872 string space.

While this might not directly give you a percentage of storage use, if you were to add the music library to the Sonos queue and divide the total tracks in the queue by 65,000 that would give you an idea of how close you are.

Alternatively, you could not be limited by the 65,000 track limit by using a free solution like Plex or if you already happen to use Apple Music (with iTunes Match). This is how my personal music library is handled on Sonos and it works like a dream.

In the meantime, I am happy to mark this topic as a feature request, to bring up to the team for consideration and visibility. This is great feedback so feel free to keep the conversation going.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Locking down an open API just giving out this information makes a certain amount of sense. However, such basic usage statistics really should be available in the app somewhere, probably on a settings screen. Yes there's a development cost and feature prioritisation, but I'm just wondering, given that Sonos clearly made a judgement on required memory capacity (and how to best use it) based on how big they thought that large libraries might grow. It would be interesting to know if Sonos thought that telling users that they had only used 10% / 90% of the storage capacity was helpful or just likely to freak out the average customer, versus the current "no info" strategy. I can't imagine that apple ever considered that "oh well people will figure out their usage when we tell them they can't take another photo or upload another song" would be a good user experience...
While this might not directly give you a percentage of storage use, if you were to add the music library to the Sonos queue and divide the total tracks in the queue by 65,000 that would give you an idea of how close you are.

The 65,000 limit is well known and finding out the approximate number of tracks is fairly trivial - a few recursive searches on the folders can quickly give an approximate figure of how many files of each type and category. Results :-

Classical 24762
Contemporary 12281
Downloads 174

Total 37217

So, as I said, whilst it would be good to have this information available via Sonos, it's not a deal breaker. The lack of ready information regarding store usage is, as this can't be derived anywhere else, which is why I referred to it as a 'need', rather than a 'would like'. I find it unacceptable that I have no readily available data to tell me when my system is going to fail. Indeed, how will it fail - just start missing songs off? Refuse to reindex? You must be well aware that there is often far more detailed information contained in classical files, and I know from past experience that simple track numbers are not a remotely accurate guide to the amount of available store left. I have no real desire to drastically reduce the tag info in the files, as my hope is that eventually a product will come along which will handle them properly, as well as providing such basic info as the composer. Whether this will be a Sonos product or not I have no idea - I suspect 'not', as Sonos only seem to care about streaming these days.

I have just submitted a diagnostic (number 72529204) and, for the purposes of this discussion, am happy for you to post the track numbers/limit and the store used/limit on this forum, as there is no personal data involved.

Alternatively, you could not be limited by the 65,000 track limit by using a free solution like Plex or if you already happen to use Apple Music (with iTunes Match). This is how my personal music library is handled on Sonos and it works like a dream.

I prefer not to use Apple software, and you must be fully aware that the Sonos version of Plex is so limited as to be effectively useless - at least, for anyone with varied tastes in music.
Locking down an open API just giving out this information makes a certain amount of sense. However, such basic usage statistics really should be available in the app somewhere, probably on a settings screen.

Exactly...

I can't imagine that apple ever considered that "oh well people will figure out their usage when we tell them they can't take another photo or upload another song" would be a good user experience...

Is that what happens with Sonos, though? A silent fail would be even worse.
I have just submitted a diagnostic (number 72529204) and, for the purposes of this discussion, am happy for you to post the track numbers/limit and the store used/limit on this forum, as there is no personal data involved.

I have just submitted a later diagnostic to support.
Might be worth posting that number as well. Not sure how their system works, if they're able to associate email addresses or system numbers with submissions.
Might be worth posting that number as well. Not sure how their system works, if they're able to associate email addresses or system numbers with submissions.
Good point - thanks - it's 529103820
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Good point - thanks - it's 529103820

Thanks for sending int he report. Your system ir showing 97% memory full, using approximately 63534 tracks.