Tp-link P7 and Sonos controller problem

• 26 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

Hello,

I’m using a tp-link P7 mesh wifi network (tp-link setup in access mode).

I’m NOT using sonosnet.

All my Sonos speakers (S2) work fine around the house but ios controller app (both on my iphone or ipad) has a strange behavior when I’m moving from room to room:

• app work ok then I go into another room
  • everything looks fine on the app
  • but no  display update to show speakers state, queue position, etc
  • when I’m trying to do anything with the speakers from the controller (play/pause, changing source...), the app say it cannot connect to the speakers….

The app works fine after a restart but if I move in another part of the house, it will not be able to connect to the speakers anymore until restart of the app.

Any idea ?

Thanks, Denis

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Mesh systems can be tricky. Some notes (though not specific to TP-Link) at

As the problem seems to be with your phone specifically, switching to SonosNet (which is the usual solution) may not help.

hi @dgillier it looks like your mesh network does not work well with your iOS devices and you loose connectivity moving from one zone to another - do you have the same issues while streaming video and moving from one room to another?

Badge +2

@el rubio : No I don’t have any problem with streaming (video or audio software).

What I don’t understand is the controller not being able to connect again to speakers while I’m in another room (after moving).

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@el rubio : No I don’t have any problem with streaming (video or audio software).

What I don’t understand is the controller not being able to connect again to speakers while I’m in another room (after moving).

Because of the mesh. Your router is confused: when your phone switches to a different mesh point it is confused and messes up the SSDP broadcast/multicast, used to find the players. Probably worse when the phone is connected to a different mesh point than your speakers.

Streaming audio or video from the internet is not relevant to the issue here: what is critical is device-to-device communication within your local network, and that is clearly challenged on your network.

Just for diagnostics sake, could you disable the meshed network and check if your iOS devices pick up correctly the cells between the different access points?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @dgillier 

Thanks for your post!

Are you still having this problem? If so, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system.

Badge +2

@Corry P Still have the problem, will get in touch with tech support, thanks !