Too Many Updates!!

• 27 October 2017
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 1
I've gotten notifications for several updates in the past few weeks. I have a Sonos at home and at work, and this is making for a ton of work because I have to do double the work. Is it possible to consolidate multiple updates into one release? The other issue is, in certain instances, I have to reconnect to my sonos (i.e. press the volume up & mute). Not sure what's going on.

I love my sonos speakers, but these updates are killing me.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Totally agree, its driving me nuts. Please please stop it. It never used to be like this.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I'm curious as to what takes so long. To update the controller and then my speakers takes around 5 minutes. How long does it take you?
Agreed, way too many updates beginning to hate my Sonos
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Also agreed - there's one nearly every week. In addition, the last one failed, had to repeat it. The updates also do not say what it is. Come on Sonos, even Apple don't do releases as often as you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
And there are an equal number of threads asking for the "must have the latest update now or I'll ditch my Sonos for ______(insert other brand here".

There is a lot happening at the moment, what with Voice Control, New UI and preparation for Airplay2 and maybe Audible.
It's almost unavoidable. You don't have to accept an update either.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Also agreed - there's one nearly every week. In addition, the last one failed, had to repeat it. The updates also do not say what it is. Come on Sonos, even Apple don't do releases as often as you.

I've had 3 iOS updates in the same time frame as Sonos 3 updates.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
For software, small frequent releases are usually way better than the every-three-months big "waterfall" releases we were used to, except:
1. Sonos updates require some user action (we may never get to the "invisible updates" scenario that we get with, something like Google Chrome that updates all the time)
2. There's not much in the way of visible change for most of these releases
3. There's no useful release notes telling us why we should update / whether we can skip the update
4. Sonos never seem to get around to that big backlog of bugs, UI/UX issues, and all the stuff we moan about on these forums because there are still issues with the core product / user experience that no amount of shiny new voice control will address
whoever is developing this software is the same incompetent idiot that developed this forum. Why have I invested thousands of dollars to have software that is in need of continual update, its not as if you are releasing substantially different products. What a waste of my time and money. Someone needs firing in Sonos this is complete BS
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
The code that runs this forum is not written by Sonos, its licensed from a third party. (For better and for worse). If people are upset by upgrades (I am not one of those), then just turn off auto-updates (in the Sonos app and in your app store) and move along.
Utter nonsense.

Sonos has complete control over its updates. But chooses to keep people busy every Sunday morning accepting updates on personal amd sonos devices instead of aggregating features into major releases in a way consistent with a positive user experience.

Sonos have a good technology which could be great but is held back by the people behind it not the technology.
Utter nonsense.

Sonos has complete control over its updates. But chooses to keep people busy every Sunday morning accepting updates on personal amd sonos devices instead of aggregating features into major releases in a way consistent with a positive user experience. [...]

This is utter nonsense. There has not been an update today.
The updates occur when you go to use Sonos, frustrated by the endless updates, any day that I go back to use Sonos there is an update ready to labor my time. Therefore any given day is guarenteed to be an update day if you slow down your usage of Sonos because its garbage.
There have been a lot of update lately, because there have been a lot of new features and bug fixes that management felt need to get to the customer sooner rather than later. It certainly can be annoying to users who don't use the system often and/or have no interest in new features.

If you honestly believe the developers are incompetent, then it would be logical to sell your units while they still have value. That wouldn't recuperate your wasted time, but it would help with that wasted money you referred to.
When is the October Update?
There is no "scheduled" update, to my knowledge. Instead, when they have a build that has enough stuff in it that is verified/QA'd enough to go out, they'll release it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
When is the October Update?Got to Laugh! In a post about too many updates comes a reply of when is the next one. 😃