Question

time to improve sleep timer

• 21 November 2016
  • 6 replies

Badge
I can understand why the sleep timer was so basic when it ran on the old controllers. Now that it's running on smart phones why is it still so primitive? How about either letting people select the clock time to shut off (e.g. 1:30) or at least control the number of minutes/hours to play before stopping. Only allowing 15 minutes, 1/2 hour, 1 hour or 2 hours is just not nearly flexible enough.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

One point: It doesn't run on the controllers, it runs on the Sonos units themselves. Indeed, you can set a timer and shut the controller app down, shut the phone/tablet off, or even leave the house with it and the timer will still count down. So any improvements on the timer would have to still be compatible with older Sonos units going back 10+ years.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Not sure about the sleep timer ... but the alarms could use some updates (like ability to group)
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Usually you set a sleep timer if something is already playing and you want it to stop unattended, like after you've fallen asleep. If you need it to stop after more than two hours, or at a specific time, then you could set up an alarm with 0 volume level and the shortest duration to stop playing at the desired time.
I can understand why the sleep timer was so basic when it ran on the old controllers. Now that it's running on smart phones why is it still so primitive? How about either letting people select the clock time to shut off (e.g. 1:30) or at least control the number of minutes/hours to play before stopping. Only allowing 15 minutes, 1/2 hour, 1 hour or 2 hours is just not nearly flexible enough.

Totally with you. There are so many smaller things that would be easy to implement and increase the user experience dramatically.

Fixed time shut off being one of them and certainly force-grouping devices when setting up alarms.

Sonos devs care to comment?

O.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
It would not increase my user experience at all. Sorting out the ducking annoyance would though.

I’ve never found pressing a button a hindrance to initiate a group.
It would not increase my user experience at all. Sorting out the ducking annoyance would though.

I’ve never found pressing a button a hindrance to initiate a group.

Right, so you setup an alarm to eg wake you up, but when it goes off for one room, you quickly get your iphone to start the app and group multiple rooms to enjoy your wake-up music in all rooms? Really? I dare to say, that not many would share your perception of good user experience 😉