Third party control apps? (iPhone preferably).

• 24 May 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hi all, just curious, my wife won't use the Sonos kit on the house. She says the Sonos controller app is too hard to understand. What aspect she finds to hard, I am unable to say as she won't even launch the app to show me what she finds hard. Frustrating situation to be in, but I thought I'd ask on the off chance, are there any 3rd party control apps I can get her to try? Especially if it were really simple and easy to understand. Thanks.

Bloggs.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I have a solution for you, but you probably won't like it. (FYI, I'm divorced)

Seriously though, if you search by Sonos in the Apps store, you're probably see some options. I can't recommend any, haven't tried them. You can also control sonos thorugh the Spotify or Pandora apps, if she is comfortable with that and uses those services.

Back to joking though, if she can't control Sonos, then you have full control over the music in the house. Something to consider.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I have a solution for you, but you probably won't like it. (FYI, I'm divorced)

Seriously though, if you search by Sonos in the Apps store, you're probably see some options. I can't recommend any, haven't tried them. You can also control sonos thorugh the Spotify or Pandora apps, if she is comfortable with that and uses those services.

Back to joking though, if she can't control Sonos, then you have full control over the music in the house. Something to consider.

Thanks, I just wait for her to go out before listening actually. The reason I ask is that I don't have an iPhone or iPad so I have no idea what apps are available. The music service we use is Apple Music, so I do think I need to use a/the Sonos controller.

Cheers.

Bloggs.
In that case, tell her that Apple's airplay 2 will becoming to Sonos, probably sometime this year. When that happens, she can select the music on her iPhone as if she were playing it on her iPhone (itunes) then 'cast' it to a Sonos speaker. I don't know exactly how it will work, but should be really easy.

Of course, she could just be building the case to get an Apple HomePod, in which case, there will be no satisfaction until you get a HomePod. (joking again)
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
In that case, tell her that Apple's airplay 2 will becoming to Sonos, probably sometime this year. When that happens, she can select the music on her iPhone as if she were playing it on her iPhone (itunes) then 'cast' it to a Sonos speaker. I don't know exactly how it will work, but should be really easy.

Of course, she could just be building the case to get an Apple HomePod, in which case, there will be no satisfaction until you get a HomePod. (joking again)

Ah yes, you're right. My father uses Airplay (v1 I guess) to play Apple Music on his Linn system. She knows how to use iTunes. Your suggestion is a good one, thanks.

Homepod? Nope, not a chance! She thinks I'm potty when I say "OK Google etc....." to my Android phone.