Question

The Sonos app will not start in Windows 10 version 2004

Userlevel 1
Badge

The Sonos app will not start in Windows 10 version 2004. The banner appears and the Sonos.exe process is listed in TaskManager. I’m not sure but I don’t think it worked since installing Windows 2004. I uninstalled the app and then installed the new S1 Sonos app but it does the same thing. Other Windows 10 version 2004 computers are able to run the app. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

That certainly points to some issue specific to that one computer. I would delete the Sonos app completely, then reboot the computer, and download a fresh copy from Sonos.com. When you install, be sure to ‘connect to existing system’, and don’t create a new one. 

FWIW the desktop controller can only connect to an existing system. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The Library service is shared between both versions (though it lives in the V2 directory), so I would suggest:

1. uninstall both apps
  2. Reboot the PC
  3. Install S2 and see if that starts up at least

I don’t have 2004 on any of my machines yet. One only just got 1909 for some reason.

Or you could use a third-party app Darryl :-)

Userlevel 2

I have just updated to Windows 10, version 2004 and am having the same problem as OP. Have uninstalled S1 rebooted and re-installed to no avail. Due to my products not being compatible with S2 this is not an option. Any ideas?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello all,

Have you checked the network and firewall settings on whichever computer you are having trouble connecting with?

Userlevel 2

Thanks for your response Jean, all of these settings were correct but the problem persisted. I have resorted to uninstalling the Windows Update and the controller works fine. Hopefully future updates from Microsoft will not replicate the issue.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @Thomass,

Thank you for the update. I guess this isn’t the first time in history that uninstalling a Windows update fixed something. 

I usually wait at least a few weeks to upgrade any OS software I’m using so that other folks can work the bugs out, but I speak only for myself here. 

Badge

The Library service is shared between both versions (though it lives in the V2 directory), so I would suggest:

1. uninstall both apps
  2. Reboot the PC

I don’t have 2004 on any of my machines yet. One only just got 1909 for some reason.

I can confirm that the above recipe resolves the issue at hand. I run Windows 10 2004. I used to have Sonos S1 app and added S2 before the upgrade to Windows 10 2004.

Some time ago, I uninstalled S1 and wondered whether there might be fall-out. There has been. S2 has refused to start. Repairing the S2 installation has not helped. Finally, I have uninstalled S2, rebooted my laptop, installed S2 (installer SonosDesktopController1203). I have checked the Windows Firewall for presence of Sonos and Sonos library executables allowed on the private network (my home network). All good.

Now, peace and decorum have been restored. Sonos S2 launches again in my Windows 10 2004.

Hi,

I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 2004. Initially there were no issue/errors using the Winodws Sonos Desktop Controller.

Not sure when the error started, the software will launch.. and it shows “searching for your sonos system” and shut down on its own. Yet to find a solution!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

My PCs have finally got Windows 2004 and have no issues with the Sonos apps.

Badge

1. uninstall both apps
  2. Reboot the PC

I can confirm that the above recipe resolves the issue at hand. I run Windows 10 2004. I used to have Sonos S1 app and added S2 before the upgrade to Windows 10 2004.

Some time ago, I uninstalled S1 and wondered whether there might be fall-out. There has been. S2 has refused to start. Repairing the S2 installation has not helped. Finally, I have uninstalled S2, rebooted my laptop, installed S2 (installer SonosDesktopController1203). I have checked the Windows Firewall for presence of Sonos and Sonos library executables allowed on the private network (my home network). All good.

Now, peace and decorum have been restored. Sonos S2 launches again in my Windows 10 2004.

Update: I am afraid, the above solution that I have commented on only works the first time after fresh installation. Upon further start attempts, Sonos S2 only pops the start banner and gets no further.

Sonos, please, fix. Windows 10 2004 does not like S2.

Badge

I am having the same issue since 2004.

I was using the S1 App but having upgraded I switched to the S2 App.  Both had the same issue on my windows PC.

I now have to use the iOS app.

I have checked firewall settings etc.  There is definitely an issue with Sonos and 2004 on some machines.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Find the newest xml file in C:\ProgramData\SonosV2,_Inc\runtime and see if there is any clue in there.

Badge

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Looking in the XML I see this message.  I am not an XML expert though and just viewing this in wordpad.

/><Execution ProcessName="Sonos" ProcessID="24160" ThreadID="3" /><Channel/><Computer>TIM-HP</Computer></System><ApplicationData><TraceData><DataItem>Unhandled exception caught at the dispatcher. Dispatcher:</DataItem><DataItem>System.OverflowException: The image data generated an overflow during processing. ---&gt; System.ArithmeticException: Overflow or underflow in the arithmetic operation

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Interesting, this exactly matches another Windows 2004 crash thread which included a full callstack. The app is crashing trying to decode an image. I wonder why some 2004-updates crash here, and others (like mine) are fine?

Badge

I wonder what changed in 2004 to create this issue.

Also mine crashes as it is trying to populate the app window with data.  But which image is causing this or is it all images on my device?

This is something SONOS needs to debug and solve.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Also mine crashes as it is trying to populate the app window with data.  But which image is causing this or is it all images on my device?

Check Windows Update, do you have any .NET Framework updates pending? I do right now actually.

I’m not saying this fixes it, but a bug in .NET introduced in 2004 could cause this.

Badge

My issues could well have started after the installation of KB565627 or even earlier.  Unfortunately I did not take a note of when S1 stopped working. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I just took the final update (...745) and both apps still work fine for me. Sonos need to debug this on someone’s machine that isn’t so happy.

Badge

Do SONOS support read this or do I need to raise a separate bug report?

Community moderators read this. In order to open a ticket, you need to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

Badge

Check Windows Update, do you have any .NET Framework updates pending? I do right now actually.

I’m not saying this fixes it, but a bug in .NET introduced in 2004 could cause this.

I am cautiously optimistic that @Tim E may be right. My laptop received the above update on the weekend. I have now installed Sonos S2 (again) and reproduced steps (such as log out and log in again; try start S2) that would have had it hang upon startup of the app. This time round, it has not hung!

Badge

1. uninstall both apps
  2. Reboot the PC

Update: I am afraid, the above solution that I have commented on only works the first time after fresh installation. Upon further start attempts, Sonos S2 only pops the start banner and gets no further.

Sonos, please, fix. Windows 10 2004 does not like S2.

It appears that this Windows Update solves the above issue:

Sonos, you are off the hook. :-)

Badge

Unfortunately it isn’t working for me - I still get the same arithmetic overflow processing image data.

Badge

Unfortunately it isn’t working for me - I still get the same arithmetic overflow processing image data.

Hello

I do not understand - processing image data? What image data? Explain your issue reproduction steps, please.

Anyway, there were two Windows Updates on the same date stamp:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4569745/kb4569745-cumulative-update-for-net-framework

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4566782/windows-10-update-kb4566782

Have you received and installed both of the above?

Regards

JP