The software on this device is outdated

• 14 July 2019
  • 6 replies

So I upgraded my sonos controller on macos 10.10 because it wouldn't let me go ahead without doing that and now I get the message "The Software on this device is outdated.... blah blah blah."

If I understand this correctly, I need to throw out my perfectly working 17" MBP and buy a new one because the economy needs a boost?

Can you check if you can also somehow disable my sonos speakers so I have to buy new ones too? Or is that too much to ask?

Snark aside: how do I get my music playing now given that I will not be upgrading either my laptop or my mobile?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Your Mac is too old to be useful for Sonos now, you didn't say which mobile device you have but the implication is that it is too old also.

However, based on the message then something managed to update your system, so maybe there is hope after all. Hard to be sure as no sonos message that I am aware of ends with "blah blah"
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Sonos System Requirements

Supported OS versions
  • iOS devices running iOS 10 and higher
  • macOS® OS X 10.11 and higher
Badge
So my 5th Gen iPod touch is now considered to be junk? It's running ios 9.3.2 build 47260210.

Is there any way to go back to a Sonos app version that will work with my hardware?
Badge
Or, perhaps, because the Sonos player is still under warranty, and it no longer works, perhaps I can return it as being manufacturer defective.
lwalper,

Sonos does not support back leveling the firmware. SONOS requires iOS 10 or higher. Apple is forcing this issue. Apple introduces new features that require a updated iOS, users demand that 3rd parties (SONOS in this case) incorporate the new features. In some cases the older Apple products do not have the hardware capability to support the new iOS version. Apple makes it very unattractive for developers to support discontinued features. For example, your iPod Touch SONOS controller supports "Play from this device". Apple is pushing everyone to use Airplay2, but older SONOS hardware cannot support Airplay2. In newer versions of iOS the underlying support for this SONOS feature has become unreliable and this is forcing SONOS to drop the feature.
Badge
Thanks for your reply.

SonoPhone (available from the PlayStore - by an independent developer) works well. It would seem that Sonos - in the interest of continued customer satisfaction - would freely provide this app (or something similar) to their trusting buyers. Who knew their costly hardware purchase would go dead in a few months due to planned obsolescence regardless the source? Blame Apple, if you will, but it's an industry wide aggression against the customer. You can do better than that. I'd heartily recommend avoiding the purchase of your product. Unless you can successfully "incorporate features" and still provide a functional product (which the developer of SonoPhone obviously has) you should close your doors in an admission of failure and just plain honesty.