Answered

"The software on this device is outdated..."

• 14 January 2018
  • 12 replies

This just started, out of the blue - not correlated with any system/software changes that I'm aware of: Running the controller app v8.1.1 on a Samsung tablet running Android 4.2.2 (Kernel v3.4.5). Fired up the controller app today (first time in a couple of weeks) and saw this message. Found another thread suggesting that an uninstall/reinstall of the controller app would fix - did that, and it did not. Most perplexing - any insights much appreciated!
icon

Best answer by Chris 14 January 2018, 23:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
8.2 is the current app version. You should find it in the android store. However, it is a limited version on Android 4.2

Do you have another controller / phone you can use to be your main controller as far as setup goes. The android tablet you have will still work controlling wise it just can't do any of the setup options under 8.2.
When I did the reinstall I ended up with 8.1.1 - so I don't know how I'd find 8.2, but I've been using 8.1.1 for months, it's always worked fine and just now stopped working... Why?
You mention setup -- not sure what you're referring to. This didn't occur during setup, just when I opened the app - setup was completed long ago. And... I just spent some money to upgrade this tablet, so I'm not anxious to toss it and find another controller platform. (No, I don't have another that I can use - long story). The circumstances suggest that this is a technical glitch, not a compatibility issue, so I'd prefer to stick with 8.1.1 and figure out what the issue is...

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
But do you have any devices you can use to see if another device will properly update your system. Your android will not run the full setup on the current Sonos version. Do you have a laptop or desktop that you can install 8.2 on and get your speakers up to date. After that device updates the speakers your version on your android should work.
Yes, that I can do. "Speakers up to date"... is this a firmware update for the speakers? (Play-3). I'll try this and see what happens.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes it will update speaker firmware.
OK, that did the trick. Upgraded the controller on the PC to 8.2, and in the process it also upgraded the tablet version to 8.2 as well. So... your previous statement "The android tablet you have will still work controlling wise it just can't do any of the setup options under 8.2." --- would like to know what these setup options are, but if I don't need to do those from the tablet (rather than the PC), then it's probably not an issue.

Many thanks for the help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
On your android tablet if you go to Sonos settings you will most likely see a lot of options grayed out such as adding new players etc. nothing daily use wise but if you have to modify system your going to need to go to the pc.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi, my PC Controller is version 8.3.1. Given the disastrous news about the CR100 I've pulled out a couple of old Samsung Tab2s (GT-P5110) which run Android 4.2.2.

On the tablets, trying to run Sonos I get the message, "The software on this device is outdated ..... " Is there a workaround for this or am being politely told to p**s off and buy a new tablet?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
4.3 is required. If tablet newer then about 2011 you should be able to update it to 4.3.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thank you Chris, appreciate your reply but when i check for updates it tells me that "The latest updates have been installed" even though the kernel version is dated Aug 2014. It seems my best option is to buy an Amazon Fire 7.
Hi! I'm having a similar problem running the 8.1.1 controller version on a very old phone running android 4.0.4. The system was working fine (using a bridge, a play 1 and a play 5) and then yesterday I have added a new play 5 (gen 1). The system required an update to version 8.1.1 and everything is still working ok in my PC. However in my phone (I actually only use it to control the SONOS system) I get the message that the software is out of date. I know that the new configuration (with the stereo pair of play 5's) works fine but I just can't use it... What should I do?
Thank you Chris, appreciate your reply but when i check for updates it tells me that "The latest updates have been installed" even though the kernel version is dated Aug 2014. It seems my best option is to buy an Amazon Fire 7.
I bought an Amazon Fire 7 - it's OK but not ideal. A N Other cheap tablet might be better...