Answered

The majority of reviews for the update are NEGATIVE.

• 15 October 2017
  • 32 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Is Sonos tracking user response to this update? I've been taking a screenshot of reviews from the Google Play Store daily. Here is a breakdown of the Play Store reviews from 10/7/2017 to 10/15/2017.

5 star: +8
4 star: -5
3 star: +32
2 star: +155
1 star: +396

I have attached screenshots for reference. At a ratio of 137.75 bad reviews (1 or 2 star) to every single good review (4 or 5 star), I think it's safe to say that most users don't like this update. I don't have stats from the Apple Store, but the reviews from there indicate IOS users have very strong negative reactions. From what I've seen on the forums, the response here is not much better.

Can we expect some type of fix soon?
icon

Best answer by jeftjeft 28 October 2017, 16:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

We shall see who is proven right in about 3 more years. I'm already 1-0 in this little game, care to wager on how 8.0 will viewed by the vast majority the next time Sonos overhauls the UI? Maybe that thread can hit 45 pages like the 5.0 one did.
The majority of the views were negative for the 5.0 version when it was released, the version you all love now and desperately wants back. I can show you posts and threads identical to these, with the same screenshots and the same complaints, in the weeks following the 5.0 release. People hate change. Give it time.

I have professed the virtues of Sonos for many many years and although I understand that people are resistant to change, I cannot find one good thing about this change. I would give anything to have the old UI back. I used to go out of my way to get people to buy Sonos because of the positive impact it would have on their lives but now the app is so bad that I have stopped recommending this as a great system. I have spent months trying to get used to this and simply cannot. Compared to the previous versions this is HORRID. I can only assume that you have a lack of reference and don't know how good it used to be so possibly by not having anything to compare to this app may seem ok.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you given the newest version from Tuesday a good try. It looks the same but having the nav at bottom it flows very well.

I am actually going to say it is my favorite version of Sonos yet (well except for the issue with being able to play over the Queue but I have accepted that is the way it is and has been for some time now). Maybe one day I will get my Queue lock / party mode and I will be able to say the app is pretty perfect for me.
Is anyone going to tell me that a blue screen, DOS character based, control/shift/alt/arrow key combination based wordprocessor is better than a graphic based, mouse driven, WYSIWYG interface? Of course not, but people did, because that is what they were used to.

Yeah, I threw a fit when they made the move from vi to vim, lol.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I am actually going to say it is my favorite version of Sonos yet (well except for the issue with being able to play over the Queue but I have accepted that is the way it is and has been for some time now). Maybe one day I will get my Queue lock / party mode and I will be able to say the app is pretty perfect for me.

Interesting you talk about "favourite version". The Sonos experience is currently multiple competing versions:
1. The unfinished v7 queue changes (which were fine in principal), and all the inconsistency problems that still causes - the "mostly ephemeral" queue, with individual play buttons free to go do their own crazy thing (you have to learn which buttons should never be clicked)
2. The desktop UI - dated appearance, great navigation / layout (except queue issues)
3. The ongoing mobile experiment - mostly OK, except for the My Sonos issues with poor layout, excessive clicks and different terminology from desktop and selected mobile screens

Of course, it's probably unrealistic to expect that I could just walk from room to room, pick up the closest device, and have a seamless and consistent experience from my multi-room system.
Responding to my earlier post calling the last version “HORRID”. I very much like this latest update. Thank you Sonos for listening!
I'm sure there's more to come. Sonos seem to be always working to improve, even if sometimes we don't agree it is an improvement 🙂