The Controller should not be flickering when woken

• 9 September 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Playing Sonos from the iPad controller, putting the iPad aside for a while, then picking and waking it up again, the Sonos Controller almost every time either restarts completely (black screen with Sonos logotype) or at least freezes for a while and re-renders all the artwork in the playlist. On occasions this also takes a very long time. When the Controller's been asleep for a longer time it can take more than 10
seconds which is quite a while if you're waiting for response.

Although I understand there's a lt of things going on under the hood, why do I need to see it?
And why can't Sonos cache and handle thins like graphics and artwork like other softwares?

This behaviour feels kind of cheap and old fashioned.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, T-S. Thanks for taking the time to post. Out of curiosity, what is the model of the iPad you are working with? Is the Sonos app the only app on your device that hangs up like this?

In the meantime, I am happy to forward this topic along to the team for visibility. Thanks for the feedback.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Hi there, T-S. Thanks for taking the time to post. Out of curiosity, what is the model of the iPad you are working with? Is the Sonos app the only app on your device that hangs up like this?

In the meantime, I am happy to forward this topic along to the team for visibility. Thanks for the feedback.

Hello.
It's an iPad 2 mini and Sonos is the only application doing like this. If I use another music app like Deezer (which of course only plays locally on the unit, but anyway) it doesn't do this upon waking up the screen.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Updated to 9.2, might be that there's a bit less flickering but it still happens. Seems like the app automatically restarts completely from time to time. Feels kind of old fashioned.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
I updated my iPad (Mini 2) system to iOS12 and now there's an additional problem.
If the Controller app automatically restart it seems hardware control for volume often is lost.

It usually helps to restart the Controller manually but of course this is exrtemely annoying, Also, seems like the hardware control when it works sometimes work in revers the first button press. If I press "volume up" the first click it will get lowered and vice versa. I bought this iPad to use as a dedicated controller for my system (as a replacement for CR100) two years ago and it's already showing signs of being outdated. This is extremely frustrating. My intention for buying a dedicated and integrated system like Sonos was to get away from compability issues often associated with complex harware setups but seems like Sonos have big problems making Sonos truly compatible on iOS.