That's it, I've had enough

Playing music used to be an enjoyable experience before I got a Sonos system. I now spend more time trying to get Sonos to work than listening to music. I'm sick to death of it losing my speakers, my music library, stopping and starting when it does occasionally work and generally wasting my time. I plan to rip it all out and toss it in the trash!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hello Vaughan,

we are sorry to read about your frustration regarding your experience with Sonos so far. 

Our systems don't show any contact history with our Technical Support Team. Do you have any reference numbers for us to look up ? 

Alternatively, we would like to have someone reach out to you directly. 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 
No I haven't contacted Sonos because I usually sort it myself. The frustrating thing is that I have everything working fine, I even use my iPhone to control the system but then a few days later I think "Hmm, think I'll play some music" but guess what?  My library doesn't appear, or if it does Sonos plays for 20 minutes and then stops.  I don't believe that it's my home network. I use a laptop connected to my home network and stream movies without an issue. My latest effort was to download the latest version of the Sonos controller but that didn't do anything better.
It really is the most annoying system that I've ever purchased.
.....now I've got that off my chest I feel better.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
That is not what it should be, please let us have a look at your setup. 

Could you submit a system diagnostics and respond to this post with the confirmation number? 
How to submit a system diagnostics
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
Hi Vaughan, As a longstanding Sonos customer, I can say yours is really not a typical experience - you should be experiencing rock-solid connectivity. (And before anyone points to the other complaints on this website as evidence to the contrary, be aware that that's like trying to judge the overall health of the population by visiting a hospital ward - most people only come here if they have a problem - the 'healthy' population rarely visits). Of course, that's no comfort to you at the moment. To me, your problems are indicative of networking issues and/or wireless interference, which is usually readily fixable. Sonos Support is your best port of call - in my own experience they are really very good. Don't struggle on alone - get the experts to help (for free). And if all fails, there are many satisfied Sonos users out there who will buy your kit for little less than you paid for it!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Usually explaining issue here or calling support resolves all issues.
I appreciate the feedback and it would have made more sense to talk to the tech support rather than blow a fuse. I've ran a diagnostics and the number is 4435676. I hope you can get it back to what it was a few years ago.
That is not what it should be, please let us have a look at your setup. 

Could you submit a system diagnostics and respond to this post with the confirmation number? 
How to submit a system diagnostics

Diagnostic report sent. The number is 4435676
Thanks
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Thank you for the diagnostics, the wireless performance, at least during the last 20 minutes prior to sending the diagnostics, looks good. 

What were the most recent issues, also, what music source was cutting in and out? 
The music source is my iTunes library which is on the same computer.  Last week it forgot were it was so I re-defined it and it started working again. The most recent issue was not being able to play any source from either my iPhone controller or the Mac desktop controller. I could choose an artist, select an album but then it'd all vanish and I'd see a screen saying "Unable to find any Sonos units" (or words to that effect). I download the latest controller (I think going from 5.2 to 5.3) but it didn't make any difference. When I tried to send the diagnostic report it kept saying "Couldn't send, try again". After trying a number of times I rebooted my computer and then it worked. Maybe the last reboot has changed something?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
The reboot might have helped indeed, how is the Mac connected to your network? 
It's connect via Apple wireless.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I would suggest to monitor to the system for the time being, and get back to this thread, should you have see any more issues.
Yesterday it was working fine. Today it wouldn't play my selection.  I thought it a good opportunity to send a diagnostic report but it wouldn't do that either. I re-booted the computer and although Sonos could find my two rooms it couldn't display my music library. At the moment, it won't send diagnostics, won't play any music (as it can't see it) but it does show my two rooms although no longer grouped. As you can see, very frustrating...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Can you call sonos
No I haven't contacted Sonos because I usually sort it myself. The frustrating thing is that I have everything working fine, I even use my iPhone to control the system but then a few days later I think "Hmm, think I'll play some music" but guess what?  My library doesn't appear, or if it does Sonos plays for 20 minutes and then stops.  I don't believe that it's my home network. I use a laptop connected to my home network and stream movies without an issue. My latest effort was to download the latest version of the Sonos controller but that didn't do anything better.
It really is the most annoying system that I've ever purchased.
.....now I've got that off my chest I feel better.

Sonos Support is outstanding.  I have had multiple Sonos controllers connected to a PC and later a Mac since 2000.  Yes, I have been frustrated trying to troubleshoot it myself, but when you call tech support they always have a solution.  Ken Sweinberg Cary, IL
I called Sonos technical support and they were brilliant. Hopefully the problem has been solved and I am forever grateful!
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
Excellent news. Don't hesitate to call them back if the problem reappears.
Badge
Hello Vaughan,

we are sorry to read about your frustration regarding your experience with Sonos so far. 

Our systems don't show any contact history with our Technical Support Team. Do you have any reference numbers for us to look up ? 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 

The trouble Daniel H is that Sonos speakers used to be about plugging them in, loading our library, and playing music. Now it's an exercise of updating, logging in, re-setting everything up, logging in again, more updates, functionality never improving (playlists????) and wait... more updates! Damn, I gotta login again.

We just want to play our music.

The trouble Daniel H is that Sonos speakers used to be about plugging them in, loading our library, and playing music. Now it's an exercise of updating, logging in, re-setting everything up, logging in again, more updates, functionality never improving (playlists????) and wait... more updates! Damn, I gotta login again.

Doesn't do much for your complaint when you are replying to a 4 year old thread.
Badge +7
Hello Vaughan,

Regards, 

Daniel H. 

There's already "active" threads addressing update concerns, please direct your comments there. That is, if you're actually looking for a solution rather than just noting your disapproval.
Badge

Doesn't do much for your complaint when you are replying to a 4 year old thread.

woops - it was top of the list in "Active Topics" on the left side of this page.
Badge
Hello Vaughan,

Regards, 

Daniel H. 

There's already "active" threads addressing update concerns, please direct your comments there. That is, if you're actually looking for a solution rather than just noting your disapproval.

I guess I'm simply looking for a "pure" experience - open the app, hit play. Even if automatic updates are off, it's constantly nagging to update and/or login on both android and windows.