Question

Terrible, terrible Sonos controller interface!

Userlevel 2
Badge
Nearly 2 years ago I purchased multiple Sonos speakers. I have no regrets, as Sonos truly sounds magnificent. Sonos also has a top notch customer service, for if you have connection problems. What else could you ask for…

Well, how about giving us the Sonos controller interface we deserve. At the moment it’s terrible! I’d like to see it made better, more complete and more intuitive. At the moment I’m running the app on Windows 10 and Android.

I would like to address the following issues. Issues that prevent me from exploiting the biggest pro Sonos has to offer me! Making playlists with nearly unlimited possible variations. I like to hang upside down on my sofa clicking around doing all I want with just one app!

The Windows 10 desktop controller app

In general:

• The search bar cannot browse all platforms at the same time (e.g., a separate search has to be made for Soundcloud, Spotify, your music library and so on). Not convenient at all.
• Minimal track details, just title and artist. Could be improved. Give us at least track duration.

Soundcloud:

• Not all likes are displayed. In my case only the most recent likes (297) are shown, most are excluded. It limits me a lot when making new playlists, forcing me to only use recent tracks.
• Playlists are limited to 100 tracks. So we can forget about larger playlists. I personally like to start with a big selection, which I move around and filter to a perfect list. Impossible now!
• Liked albums aren’t displayed among the liked tracks. This can be surpassed by liking every individual track from the album. Again, not convenient at all.
• In no way am I able to filter, sort or search within lists (i.e., likes, playlists and such).
• Unable to find particular tracks in the app at all. Let alone listen to them. Not in stream, likes, playlists or search. Again, yet another limitation.
• Some tracks in the stream show up as ‘only available via Soundcloud.com’. After sharing those particular tracks, all of a sudden that’s no longer the case and they play fine in the app.
• Playlists are all displayed with my profile picture, not the picture I assigned to it. This obstructs easy navigation.
• Unable to make or edit playlists (i.e., syncing playlists with your Soundcloud account).
• The Search option is incomplete, will only search within artists and track titles. Manually shifting in between artists and track titles is required, if you want to see all results. Unlike the Soundcloud search, which also includes playlists, album titles, descriptions and tags.
• The list of people I’m following is incomplete, on top of that they are in random order. Ever heard of the alphabet? Navigation skill level 10 is required here, but with no guarantee that you will find what you are looking for.
• The list of followers is completely missing.
• Reposts are also nowhere to be found. Well, in the stream but not addressed as such. I would like to see reposts per individual and I want to see my own.
• Unable to follow or unfollow artists, or repost tracks.

Spotify:

• In no way able to filter, sort or search within playlists, artists and albums. Making navigation a complete joke when there’s a couple of thousand tracks to scroll through. On top of that, the track list is in ‘latest added’ order. Do you really want me to remember when I added what track?
• The list of artists I follow is absent, as is my recently played track list.
• The search option is broken and why on earth do I manually have to shift in between results (i.e., artists, albums, tracks and playlists). I have no idea what is wrong with it exactly, but a lot of results are missing when I do a search. Unacceptable!
• Unable to follow playlists or artists, nor are the artists I follow shown anywhere.

Bandcamp:

• Searching within Bandcamp doesn’t work. It simply does not work, is bro-ken.
• Unable to manually browse the Bandcamp catalogue. Please, wake up the person responsible. I think he fell asleep behind his computer and apparently hit the delete button on his way down!!

Okay, I could go on and on, but there’s no point I guess. Problems everywhere, whether it’s the desktop app or the android app. Take the android app for example, search function for Mixcloud is broken…. b-r-o-k-e-n! Not cool!

The list above is what bothers me about the Sonos interface. Heck, there’s so many things I got tired and left out the rest of the issues bothering me. I do think I have made my point though. The app momentarily complicates listening to music very much for me, instead of simplifying it. It forces me to use both the app and different websites of streaming services, this because of the huge app limitations. Instead of enjoying my Sonos system to the fullest, I’m forced to write all this stuff.

Now lets see what Sonos says… Sonos promotes the app as follows: “Choose what to play, where to play it, and how loud. In one room, or in every room of your home. Track down songs across all your music services with a single search. Create playlists in an instant. The Sonos app does it all.”

A joke right!!?? Or did I miss out? Come on, we are living in 2017, where everything is possible.
Sonos, could you pretty please with sugar on top fix this for us?!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Most of your issues are the fault of the music service SMAPI implementations you listed, not Sonos. Suggest you send your lists to them instead.

Your main request for Sonos could really be translated as "implement universal search on the desktop controller", which is unlikely. The mobile controllers have supported universal search for a long time now, but the desktop controllers are considered legacy so unlikely to ever get that feature.

Suggest you buy a cheap Android device and use that instead to get the universal search feature you desire.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Most of your issues are the fault of the music service SMAPI implementations you listed, not Sonos. Suggest you send your lists to them instead.I get your point. The fact however is, I ordered a product from Sonos. A product that apparently isn't working the way they suggest!

If I buy a super glue because it says its universal and works on all materials. Then I don’t go and complain at my local hardware store, saying it doesn’t stick to their wood. Or should I?

(No pun intended, just trying to be clear?)

Your main request for Sonos could really be translated as "implement universal search on the desktop controller", which is unlikely. The mobile controllers have supported universal search for a long time now, but the desktop controllers are considered legacy so unlikely to ever get that feature.

Suggest you buy a cheap Android device and use that instead to get the universal search feature you desire.
I do use the android app as well. But when I do it resolves only one of the problems I addressed and I get a new one in return. That new one being that the Mixcloud search isn’t working at all on android.
What you're suggesting is exactly the same as expecting Microsoft to control the features provided by every app that runs on Windows. Silly, don't you think?.
Userlevel 2
Badge
What you're suggesting is exactly the same as expecting Microsoft to control the features provided by every app that runs on Windows. Silly, don't you think?.Not really, what you said I find silly though?. Those are 3rd party apps you are referring to.

IF Microsoft would release an app, one app to control all other apps (the way they are designed to). Yes, then I would complain to them if it wasn't working properly!
Not if it was up to the third party to implement their own features in the Microsoft app.

Bottom line is, if Sonos has it in their API, it is up to the music service to implement the feature. Therefore, lobbying the service to include a feature is 1000x more effective than lobbying Sonos. Why anyone would want to argue with this fact calls into question if their hope is to get a solution or simply level blame.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Not if it was up to the third party to implement their own features in the Microsoft app.

Bottom line is, if Sonos has it in their API, it is up to the music service to implement the feature. Therefore, lobbying the service to include a feature is 1000x more effective than lobbying Sonos. Why anyone would want to argue with this fact calls into question if their hope is to get a solution or simply level blame.
I do like to emphasize on the fact that it’s a solution I want. And it’s not about blame, I’m just addressing whom I think is responsible for realizing that solution.

So, I do understand now it’s up to the music services to implement all features. They failed, point taken! Still, I don’t feel it’s my responsibility to take action and lobby or contact those services about any technical issues concerning the Sonos controller. I don’t think it’s that effective either.

I’m just a customer that was promised something, something I didn’t entirely get. So, what do you do? You address the one that has made the promise…

I did get a quality product though, because Sonos truly sounds amazing! Let there be no question about that. But Sonos markets their product in a way to make it seem perfect, while in fact it’s not completely. It beats me why Sonos doesn’t have strict quality guidelines upon implementation for any participating service. They have a quality product and reputation to protect, right? Be good or be gone should be their motto.

That being said makes me wonder, why does Sonos have no control over what all services implement? I can think of only one, but I know it must be something else…
And yet you feel the need to lobby and/or complain here?

I know if I went to a Samsung site to complain about the implementation of Netflix on their Smart Hub app, and the nice people there took the time to tell me I would have better results talking to Netflix because it is their implementation, I'd thank those kind folks and head on over to Netflix. Yet here, we see post after post by people who still think lobbying here will do some good, and argue that fact with the posters who try to help them out.

Mind blown.
Userlevel 2
Badge

I know if I went to a Samsung site to complain about the implementation of Netflix on their Smart Hub app, and the nice people there took the time to tell me I would have better results talking to Netflix because it is their implementation, I'd thank those kind folks and head on over to Netflix. Yet here, we see post after post by people who still think lobbying here will do some good, and argue that fact with the posters who try to help them out.

Mind blown.
Yes, I find that at least potential buyers should know what’s up.

I bought Sonos so I could listen to quality sound, not for the sake of a new daily occupation other than that.

In the end, it’s not my brand being at stake here. Not yours either…

So I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree and move on.
Not sure what warning potential buyers or the stake of the brand has to do with the most effective way of gettings ones wishes fullfilled, but again, getting ones wishes fullfilled seems to be secondary to people who would rather argue about who to blame. Since posting the same giant missive at the service's site is no more than a minute or two to login and a cut-and-paste, it appears being right in ones indignation must trump actual results; it's the only explanation that makes sense.
You should also do potential buyers the service of telling them the alternative that does all that Sonos does not for you and what would be lost - the things that the alternative will not do. Without that, this is just a rant.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
The Sonos excuse of "Blame the other guy" really is a piece of genius.

However, even that doesn't stretch to explaining the lack of universal search in the Desktop controller, which really does need to be brought up to scratch.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Mind blown.

If Samsung told you that, you should reply to them and tell them that it's their product, and their responsibility, and to stop bullshitting you. Netflix don't write software for every Netflix supporting Smart TV out there. They provide an API, and it's the job of the manufacturer to write their own software. Same as with Spotify etc.

Mind blown.
Some reading to improve your conceptual understanding of the matter. Not exactly an easy read, but who knows? 🙂

If Samsung told you that, you should reply to them and tell them that it's their product, and their responsibility, and to stop bullshitting you. Netflix don't write software for every Netflix supporting Smart TV out there. They provide an API, and it's the job of the manufacturer to write their own software. Same as with Spotify etc.

Mind blown.

Actually, in the case of Samsung, yes they do. Samsung supplies the Samsung Smart TV SDK and the service is responsible for their own app. I'm not surprised you claim otherwise, because you accused Sonos of BS'ing you when they told you the same thing.

Now if you have any proof to the contrary, you should probably supply it. I won't be kept awake waiting, because you've never supplied proof for you claims against Sonos either. More likely you will disappear for a few months, then come back with the same nonsense.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Some reading to improve your conceptual understanding of the matter. Not exactly an easy read, but who knows? :)

Yes. I disagree with the Sonos approach on this.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Mind blown.

Actually, in the case of Samsung, yes they do. Samsung supplies the Samsung Smart TV SDK and the service is responsible for their own app. I'm not surprised you claim otherwise, because you accused Sonos of BS'ing you when they told you the same thing.

Now if you have any proof to the contrary, you should probably supply it. I won't be kept awake waiting, because you've never supplied proof for you claims against Sonos either. More likely you will disappear for a few months, then come back with the same nonsense.

It's like banging your head against a brick wall.
I second that. 🙂
Some reading to improve your conceptual understanding of the matter. Not exactly an easy read, but who knows? :)

It's extremely unlikely that Sonos has much of a choice on that matter. They aren't going to be allowed to do whatever they want programmatically when accessing another services data. All they can do is whatever is allowed in the provided API. The best they can do is push the service to provide a better API, which the service may or may not have an interest in.
[...] It's extremely unlikely that Sonos has much of a choice on that matter. They aren't going to be allowed to do whatever they want programmatically when accessing another services data. All they can do is whatever is allowed in the provided API. The best they can do is push the service to provide a better API, which the service may or may not have an interest in.
Sonos developes and provides the API for the music services, not the other way round.

I notice when confronted with requests for proof of your statements of "fact", you always reply with personal insults. I wonder why that is?

Oh! So thomashenry disagrees with the architecture that allowed a Billion $ company to support more music services than the number of services supported by all their competitors combined? I'm sure Sonos will get started on that redesign right away! :8
[...] It's extremely unlikely that Sonos has much of a choice on that matter. They aren't going to be allowed to do whatever they want programmatically when accessing another services data. All they can do is whatever is allowed in the provided API. The best they can do is push the service to provide a better API, which the service may or may not have an interest in.
Sonos developes and provides the API for the music services, not the other way round.

Same principle applies though, as communication is limited through the API. If a music service doesn't provide search functionality, Sonos applications can't bypass the API and go get search results from the service in a different way.
What you're suggesting is exactly the same as expecting Microsoft to control the features provided by every app that runs on Windows. Silly, don't you think?.Not really, what you said I find silly though?. Those are 3rd party apps you are referring to.

IF Microsoft would release an app, one app to control all other apps (the way they are designed to). Yes, then I would complain to them if it wasn't working properly![/quot[quote=DiSoRderLY]Nearly 2 years ago I purchased multiple Sonos speakers. I have no regrets, as Sonos truly sounds magnificent. Sonos also has a top notch customer service, for if you have connection problems. What else could you ask for…

Well, how about giving us the Sonos controller interface we deserve. At the moment it’s terrible! I’d like to see it made better, more complete and more intuitive. At the moment I’m running the app on Windows 10 and Android.

I would like to address the following issues. Issues that prevent me from exploiting the biggest pro Sonos has to offer me! Making playlists with nearly unlimited possible variations. I like to hang upside down on my sofa clicking around doing all I want with just one app!

The Windows 10 desktop controller app

In general:

• The search bar cannot browse all platforms at the same time (e.g., a separate search has to be made for Soundcloud, Spotify, your music library and so on). Not convenient at all.
• Minimal track details, just title and artist. Could be improved. Give us at least track duration.

Soundcloud:

• Not all likes are displayed. In my case only the most recent likes (297) are shown, most are excluded. It limits me a lot when making new playlists, forcing me to only use recent tracks.
• Playlists are limited to 100 tracks. So we can forget about larger playlists. I personally like to start with a big selection, which I move around and filter to a perfect list. Impossible now!
• Liked albums aren’t displayed among the liked tracks. This can be surpassed by liking every individual track from the album. Again, not convenient at all.
• In no way am I able to filter, sort or search within lists (i.e., likes, playlists and such).
• Unable to find particular tracks in the app at all. Let alone listen to them. Not in stream, likes, playlists or search. Again, yet another limitation.
• Some tracks in the stream show up as ‘only available via Soundcloud.com’. After sharing those particular tracks, all of a sudden that’s no longer the case and they play fine in the app.
• Playlists are all displayed with my profile picture, not the picture I assigned to it. This obstructs easy navigation.
• Unable to make or edit playlists (i.e., syncing playlists with your Soundcloud account).
• The Search option is incomplete, will only search within artists and track titles. Manually shifting in between artists and track titles is required, if you want to see all results. Unlike the Soundcloud search, which also includes playlists, album titles, descriptions and tags.
• The list of people I’m following is incomplete, on top of that they are in random order. Ever heard of the alphabet? Navigation skill level 10 is required here, but with no guarantee that you will find what you are looking for.
• The list of followers is completely missing.
• Reposts are also nowhere to be found. Well, in the stream but not addressed as such. I would like to see reposts per individual and I want to see my own.
• Unable to follow or unfollow artists, or repost tracks.

Spotify:

• In no way able to filter, sort or search within playlists, artists and albums. Making navigation a complete joke when there’s a couple of thousand tracks to scroll through. On top of that, the track list is in ‘latest added’ order. Do you really want me to remember when I added what track?
• The list of artists I follow is absent, as is my recently played track list.
• The search option is broken and why on earth do I manually have to shift in between results (i.e., artists, albums, tracks and playlists). I have no idea what is wrong with it exactly, but a lot of results are missing when I do a search. Unacceptable!
• Unable to follow playlists or artists, nor are the artists I follow shown anywhere.

Bandcamp:

• Searching within Bandcamp doesn’t work. It simply does not work, is bro-ken.
• Unable to manually browse the Bandcamp catalogue. Please, wake up the person responsible. I think he fell asleep behind his computer and apparently hit the delete button on his way down!!

Okay, I could go on and on, but there’s no point I guess. Problems everywhere, whether it’s the desktop app or the android app. Take the android app for example, search function for Mixcloud is broken…. b-r-o-k-e-n! Not cool!

The list above is what bothers me about the Sonos interface. Heck, there’s so many things I got tired and left out the rest of the issues bothering me. I do think I have made my point though. The app momentarily complicates listening to music very much for me, instead of simplifying it. It forces me to use both the app and different websites of streaming services, this because of the huge app limitations. Instead of enjoying my Sonos system to the fullest, I’m forced to write all this stuff.

Now lets see what Sonos says… Sonos promotes the app as follows: “Choose what to play, where to play it, and how loud. In one room, or in every room of your home. Track down songs across all your music services with a single search. Create playlists in an instant. The Sonos app does it all.”

A joke right!!?? Or did I miss out? Come on, we are living in 2017, where everything is possible.
Sonos, could you pretty please with sugar on top fix this for us?!

Oh! So thomashenry disagrees with the architecture that allowed a Billion $ company to support more music services than the number of services supported by all their competitors combined? I'm sure Sonos will get started on that redesign right away! :8

The evolution of business comes from refined iterations of offerings, in this case, the user interface. It really doesn't serve sonos or you as a sonos user to completely ignore very valid points and suggestions to fine tune and hone a "redesign of the architecture" that would ultimately improve and enhance sonos as a company. It in incredibly rare to nail it the first time, and any intelligent company is always wanting to improve and innovate every day. If Apple stopped at the computer we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Ie - iTunes and streaming music. But thanks for this stagnant comment.

The evolution of business comes from refined iterations of offerings, in this case, the user interface. It really doesn't serve sonos or you as a sonos user to completely ignore very valid points and suggestions to fine tune and hone a "redesign of the architecture" that would ultimately improve and enhance sonos as a company. It in incredibly rare to nail it the first time, and any intelligent company is always wanting to improve and innovate every day. If Apple stopped at the computer we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Ie - iTunes and streaming music. But thanks for this stagnant comment.

Also - thomashenry is completely right.