Terrible app

• 16 December 2021
  • 17 replies

Why does Sonos have such horrendously incompetent developers? That must be the case considering the constant plethora of issues I experience with multiple devices. There are too many to even mention. Does Sonos not make enough money that they can afford competent developers? Sonos must be the most unreliable and unstable app on my devices. Constantly losing connection to Spotify, constantly requiring login, constantly disconnecting, constantly losing the connected devices, constantly etc etc etc.

Such a great product with such terrible coding. It's a shame but I won't be replacing them with more Sonos. I'll be finding something else for sure. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

It’s going to be hard to get away with such a rant just by saying “too many to mention”. What specific issues are you experiencing, to cause your complaints?

I’ve been using their app for 10 plus years without significant issue. Sure, there’s things I’d change, but i’m not up in arms about it.  And the vast majority of issues discussed here regarding issues with the controller turn out to be as a result of actual network issues, since the controller itself is merely a display mode application of the actual code running on the Sonos devices themselves. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Judging from the rant and @MarthinusS‘a profile (only joined the community today despite owning multiple devices and experiencing so many problems) I don’t think they are here asking for help. 

I’ve owned Sonos products for 13 years and never had such problems.  Sound to me like a horrendously incompetent owner is at fault, rather than developers.  

Do yourself a favor and take 5 minutes to search this very forum and you will see that my complaints are very common. But you won't do that because you're not having these issues, so they don't exist right? What a special kind of stupid are you? 

Judging from the rant and @MarthinusS‘a profile (only joined the community today despite owning multiple devices and experiencing so many problems) I don’t think they are here asking for help. 

Not asking for help. Judging by the hundreds of similar unresolved complaints on this forum it's quite obvious that expecting help would be futile. 

Do yourself a favor and take 5 minutes to search this very forum and you will see that my complaints are very common. But you won't do that because you're not having these issues, so they don't exist right? What a special kind of stupid are you? 

Let me tell you a little story - Once upon a time, there was an actual programming bug with a single Sonos device; the Playbar.  This bug only manifested itself when the Playbar was connected with a certain model of TV.  On the day this bug laden release was put out, the main complaint thread was averaging 100 posts an hour, and was over 1000 posts by mid-day.  That is what happens when there is an actual problem with a single Sonos device matched with a single model of TV.

Now if you don’t get the point of the story, I’ll spell it out for you and others - There are millions of Sonos users and there are a handful (comparatively) of complaints.  So I’m pretty confident my “horrendously incompetent owner is at fault” judgment stands as is.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sounds like you probably have a low quality router, though hard to be sure with the total lack of information you have shared.

As you only joined the community a few hours ago, its clear that you are not remotely interested in getting assistance. I can also surmise that you have never bothered to contact Sonos support.

Please, either go away, or [respectfully] ask for assistance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

In addition to the comments from @jgatie and @nik9669a . The chart below shows the volume of sales up to and including 2018.  Could you provide links to a volume of posts in this forum about common problems, consistent with the volume of unit sales?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Judging from the rant and @MarthinusS‘a profile (only joined the community today despite owning multiple devices and experiencing so many problems) I don’t think they are here asking for help. 

Not asking for help. Judging by the hundreds of similar unresolved complaints on this forum it's quite obvious that expecting help would be futile. 

This is a user community, not Sonos’ support service, though there are staff that monitor the posts and do offer contributions. But there have been many requests for help that have ended with solved problems. 

Good luck in your search for, and choice of, alternative kit.

This thread screams troll.

Badge +1

It's not the greatest of apps and it's rating of 3.2 / 5 from over 85,000 feedbacks on Google Play Store backs up this assertion. A regular problem I have at the moment is when playing a new album (from the same source - hard drive plugged into router) it takes ages for the album artwork and songs titles to catch up, even if I close and re-open the app. I'm sure it will right itself but I'm also sure something else will start going wrong somewhere else along the line. I can understand the OP's frustration and it's almost a pity that this forum is overcrowded with fanboys and fangirls who take great offence when people complain about their beloved Sonos!

I would raise a ticket with CS about my current issue but I really don't want to start faffing about changing router channels and settings etc. I've been sent down that rabbit hole the couple of times I've used CS. Both times, it made matters worse.

The original post bears all the hallmarks of a bent local network.

No mention of diagnostics being submitted, nor of Sonos Support’s response, but I’d bet they’d spot the packet loss in an instant given half a chance. They might also be able to suggest a possible cause.

Badge +1

It screams frustration.

It screams frustration.

Then why has the OP not done something about it? 

Surely the OP is just a troll? Not worth any more of anyone's time IMO.

It screams frustration.

I have seen genuine frustration in posts on here and I have seen trolling.  There is a world of difference between your contributions and the OP's. And yes I am unashamedly a Sonos fanboy.

It screams frustration.

First post, no mention of specific issues, full of insults to trigger people, user profile setup to offend...