Question

Technological Obsolesence - On this iOS device

I have two Play 1 speakers and a Play 3 speaker. The latest announcement regarding the loss of support for iOS has me wishing I had bought Bose instead.

That said however, since I’ve spent all this money how do I continue to be able to play music on my system from my iPhone?

If I get additional Sonos One speakers that ARE AirPlay compatible can I connect to them and use THEM as a conduit to have my iPhone play throughout my entire system, AirPlay compatible or not?

If not then I guess if I want to continue to play my iPhone through my Sonos system I will have to submit to the financial extortion from Sonos and buy some additional component like the Connect Amp?

Aside from selling all of the Sonos equipment and going to Bose, which I am definitely open to and considering, what are my options?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18
There are a number of threads about this topic, and several options are available to you.

It is not necessary to "submit to the financial extortion from Sonos and buy some additional component" as free options, and options buying non-Sonos products, are available to you.
Here's a thread that lists all alternatives, including Pros and Cons, in the Best Answer:

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/alternatives-to-music-straight-from-iphone-6827578
Can you link me to a thread? I have been unsuccessful finding one for this specific issue?
Can you link me to a thread? I have been unsuccessful finding one for this specific issue?

See 1 post above.
technological obsolescence. When a technical product or service is no longer needed or wanted even though it could still be in working order. Technological obsolescence generally occurs when a new product has been created to replace an older version.

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/technological-obsolescence.html

I can see how you'd apply the term in this case since you could view a Sonos One as the replacement product for the Play:1 due to airplay and other features, but the two products can play in the same system together. The play:1 and play:3 are far from no longer needed or wanted, even you do want to utilize features the newer Sonos products provide.

Bose on the other hand, they tend to end an entire product line when newer features are available, create a new line. The old line and new line are not compatible with each other, so anyone who invested in the old line and wants new features...sorry.
So Danny, will adding a Sonos One that is AirPlay compatible to my system function as a conduit to the rest of my system? If so then perhaps this is all moot as I would like to add speakers elsewhere in my house. If not, well then I have some decisions to make...
So Danny, will adding a Sonos One that is AirPlay compatible to my system function as a conduit to the rest of my system? If so then perhaps this is all moot as I would like to add speakers elsewhere in my house. If not, well then I have some decisions to make...

The link I posted above answers all your questions.
Oh and Danny, that title was the kindest thing I could think of to call the thread. As ticked as I am about this if I had called it what I was really thinking, the moderators would have no doubt bumped the thread. Financial extortion comes closer but still falls short...
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Oh and Danny, that title was the kindest thing I could think of to call the thread. As ticked as I am about this if I had called it what I was really thinking, the moderators would have no doubt bumped the thread. Financial extortion comes closer but still falls short...

“Financial extortion” is totally untrue. Read the options available.

Definitely worth reading through the link, but to answer the question, yes, but perhaps not in the way your thinking. You can aiprlay to a Sonos One then group it with the other speakers in your house to play the airplay stream on non-airplay compatible speakers. The Sonos One has to remain part of that group, it can't be playing something else and passing alone the airplay stream to other speakers. So it can share the stream, but I don't know if you would really call that a conduit.

There are no cost and low cost alternatives, and playing "On this device" will still be available for Android devices, which points to Sonos not willfully choosing to remove the feature. Hardly extortion, and if there is any extortion going on, it is Apple's, not Sonos'.
Thanks for the information jgatie. I did not realize only iOS was affected.

I went round and round with someone from tech support and that left a really bad taste in my mouth...
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
The SYMFONISK speakers just dropped. $99 for an Airplayable speaker.

Solid deal honestly.
Thanks for the information jgatie. I did not realize only iOS was affected.

I went round and round with someone from tech support and that left a really bad taste in my mouth...

Yes iOS only. And though it may be coincidence, the problems with "On this iDevice" playback started right around the time Apple released the new iOS with Airplay 2, which coincided with Sonos' enabling their Airplay 2 compatible speakers that carry licensing fees right back to Apple.
It is possible that this was strategic sabotage by Apple but I greatly doubt it. I generally favour the cock-up theory over the conspiracy theory.

Just unfortunate collateral damage from changes to iOS, that has left Sonos with no good option. IMO.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Just unfortunate collateral damage from changes to iOS, that has left Sonos with no good option. IMO.

Meh. I say this is a great wake-up call for iOS users.

Switch to Android. Enjoy your freedom.
I suspect one of two things. Either a security hole that they consider they have plugged, or a battery issue that they think may have been the cause of a number of complaints. I'm not a fan of the "Apple did this with messing with Sonos" in mind.

As near as I can tell, if the program isn't running on the phone itself, it gets de-prioritized when the phone goes to sleep. Since the "program" of Sonos is running on the speakers, and not on the phone, the connection gets cut.

I noticed that there are others who are running in to similar issues. And this is with programs that actually are running on the iOS device!

https://www.engadget.com/2019/08/06/ios-13-facebook-messenger-whatsapp-voip-changes/