Answered

System set up says app needs updated

• 14 November 2017
  • 22 replies

Setting u p a system in my downtown apartment. Have one at home. Setting up new account for it but after is finds new One on network and i log into new account is says app needs updated. Click on that and opens app store then opens app but no update needed. Stuck in an endless loop. Can't et up system.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 15 November 2017, 01:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

I'm assuming you've got some sort of Apple iOS device. It's been stated in other places in this forum that there's an update waiting to be approved by Apple in the app store. Probably best to wait an hour or two, and try then.
Similar problem here. My app says I need to Update to be able to add a play 5 speaker. App store says all is up to date . check on the controller for updates reveals a message stating that an update is available but not available in my app store. Similar happens when I try from Iphonex, iPad or macbook.
Similar problem here. My app says I need to Update to be able to add a play 5 speaker. App store says all is up to date . check on the controller for updates reveals a message stating that an update is available but not available in my app store. Similar happens when I try from Iphonex, iPad or macbook.

As stated in other threads, the Apple App Store is a little late in posting the new version of the app. Give it a while and try again.
My recommendation is take a break, grab some food and a beer. Come back later.
Question is how much later. This feels like more than a coincidence as I've just tried to add a play 5 to my system and now encounter the update issue. No such issue over last 8 months.
First SONOS product I've ever bought, bring it home, won't work on iOS.
So Sonos releases a new app on iOS 19 hours ago and now there's already a new one?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So Sonos releases a new app on iOS 19 hours ago and now there's already a new one?

The last update (8.1.1) landed on my iOS devices on 2nd November. Not 19 hours ago.
So after lots of research I am convinced the Sonos system is for me, spend £400 on two new Play Ones and cannot even get the app to work as it keeps saying it needs updating even though it doesn’t. So disillusioned wish I had gone for Bose now, feel like returning the lot, very unhappy Sonos!
Same problem here. Come home after holidays. All is updated according to apple store, still I can´t even open the old app version in order to control the system. Not very amused about it. So what is the fix for it?
If you are ready to take your purchase back to the store because there is a delay in Apple updating the app then yes, Sonos is not for you. If you can be patient for a little while until they figure out what is wrong, then your update will proceed.
Shouldn’t have to wait for updates, doesn’t matter what is going on behind the scenes I should still be able to set it up, iphone doesn’t stop working just because an update to iOS is being prepared, poor show
I So Sonos releases a new app on iOS 19 hours ago and now there's already a new one?Exactly my point. I have version 8.1.1 which according to the app store is the latest version which was released 19 hours ago. Am i to believe that version no longer works and I must wait for 8.1.2?
Shouldn’t have to wait for updates, doesn’t matter what is going on behind the scenes I should still be able to set it up, iphone doesn’t stop working just because an update to iOS is being prepared, poor show

If you are unwilling to accept that something is "going on behind the scenes", then as I suggested, you should return it. You have purchased a system of interdependent hardware, firmware, and software apps, they do not work without each other. A minor glitch in the app update has caused a problem for the time being. Sonos is working on it. If that is unacceptable to you, no sense in going forward with the product, for you will never be happy.

In the meantime, if you have a computer at home, you can easily download the Mac or PC controller and set your system up with that. After that, until the new version is available, your iOS app should work for everything except some parts of the Settings menu.
You are missing the point entirely, I fully understand there are interdependent aspects at work here but when you spend a not insignificant sum in a shop take it home and it fails to work and someone blandly says wait a while until they solve the problem you think why should I have to? Would you be happy to park your new car in the garage for a few hours if the dealer says sorry the key has to be taken away it works but we don’t like the colour we gave you and want to change it. That moment of joy and excitement when you buy yourself a new toy be it car, boat, computer or speakers and take it out of its packet for the first time should be savoured and relished and set the tone for the start of new ownership mine has been shot down and dumped, no, not acceptable. Why remove the ability to set up a new customers equipment whilst you tweak its method of operation even for only a few hours, unnecessary. My impression of Sonos has now been damaged. The one thing you are right about is Sonos is not for me, error of judgement and I will indeed be returning the items in the morning. There are lots of other equally good companies out there competing for a share of this market maybe they will offer a better first time experience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The Sonos iOS app for 8.2 is now available in all app stores for devices. You should be all set to update now. Sorry for the delay everyone.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Still not on iOS here on the east coast of the u.s. says 8.2 if you read the version history, but no download option available. I’m on 8.1.1. It says “open” instead of “get”. Open simply opens the existing 8.1.1 version. Sonos Controller by Sonos, Inc.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sonos-controller/id293523031?mt=8

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Can you try uninstalling the Sonos app and re-downloading it, ceasar327?
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
If I do, will I lose my settings or favorites or anything?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Nope, those are all stored on your players. Just make sure to choose "connect to an existing system."
No. All your settings are stored on the Sonos devices, not the controller.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Nope, those are all stored on your players. Just make sure to choose "connect to an existing system."

That worked. I’m now on 8.2. Thanks. Weird that it’s not updating via the App Store though.