Switching rooms not possible

• 31 October 2017
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 2
When changing from one room to another I first have to select the new room together with the old one and accept. Then I have to remove the old room and accept before I can use the new room. Extremely annoying. No problems before upgrading to new and worse version of app.:@:@:@

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

It works exactly the same in the new controller as the old one for me - I don't need to do what you describe. Are you mistakenly trying to use the new 'quick grouping' facility for this rather than the proper Rooms screen?
Userlevel 2
I am having trouble finding my way around this upgrade. Im using the one in the bottom in red.
No that isn't right. See if this helps

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5LY6yD3BW7adkstOHVDVzZUMUE/view?usp=sharing
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That's great stuff John and looks really good.

I did suggest to Sonos that they should have produced some user guides and this day and age they could make some videos showing how to use the updated app. I think they really missed a trick on that.
Userlevel 3
How is "quick group" on the now playing screen any different from the group screen accessed from the room screens?!

On android they are both identical, and both let you unselect the room music is playing in and select a different room at the same time, although I find the results of grouping line that are a bit hit and miss - sometimes you get what your asked for and sometimes music still plays in the unselected room!
When changing from one room to another I first have to select the new room together with the old one and accept. Then I have to remove the old room and accept before I can use the new room. Extremely annoying. No problems before upgrading to new and worse version of app.:@:@:@

Not true at all. I've done it by selecting one, deselecting the other, then hitting Done a dozen times. Works every time.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I am a UX Design Director and have been extremely disappointed with the latest app upgrade mostly because it isn't as easy and fast to play music and switch or pair speakers. I have been using it daily since the upgrade and it still confuses me and annoys me. It basically added 2 more clicks to everything! I really hope they are listening to user feedback, which I see is not favorable and Designers are iterating and planning to push a revised version soon. This is a step backwards.
Userlevel 1
I too have been using the app everyday for the past 2 weeks or so and still find it confusing and frustrating navigating from the now playing screen to everything else. I think an easy fix would be to:
1) leave the tab nav on the screen for the Now Playing screen
2) Combine the "Browse and Search" tabs, Search seems like it should be on the browse page anyway
3) Add "Playing Now" button to tab nav
Userlevel 1
When changing from one room to another I first have to select the new room together with the old one and accept. Then I have to remove the old room and accept before I can use the new room. Extremely annoying. No problems before upgrading to new and worse version of app.:@:@:@ I experienced this same thing when first using the new app. Even after figuring out the proper way to navigate to rooms I find it very unnatural and annoying.
Badge
I'm having issues grouping and moving music to different rooms... Was fine in the old app... On the new android app it just doesn't work well. Just taken me 6 attempts to move some music from the kitchen to the bedroom.

Any work arounds from the app ?

Thanks
Works every time for me. This is what I do. Assume you are starting with music playing in Living Room, and the Now Playing screen is controlling that music.

1. Swipe down the Now Playing screen so that the navigation bar is visible (hopefully nav bar will be visible on next release so that isn't needed)
2. Depending on what I did last, that may reveal the Rooms screen. If not then tap Rooms button
3. Check the room you want to transfer to, say Kitchen, uncheck Living Room, touch 'Done'
4. Double tap Kitchen to go back to the Now Playing screen with control of the Kitchen

Is that what you have been doing?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Not true at all. I've done it by selecting one, deselecting the other, then hitting Done a dozen times. Works every time.

Not sure what is different for you - but for me using the 'quick grouping' pop up menu quite often dumps me out into a zone that I've just deselected. This is a bug.

Not sure what is different for you - but for me using the 'quick grouping' pop up menu quite often dumps me out into a zone that I've just deselected. This is a bug.
I think you are using the quick grouping for something it is not meant for. Use the Rooms screen. Please see my post above
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I think you are using the quick grouping for something it is not meant for. Use the Rooms screen

No. Im using it to remove a room from the current group.
If you want to try and argue that this is not an intended use of this screen then I will laugh!

Also I think it should be possible to use that menu to move the current music from one room to another. It does sometimes work for me, but sometimes not. I know you are a staunch supporter of the new UI but having to make subtle distinctions like this and learn which of two routes to go down to perform similar actions are not traits of a good UI.
I am not a supporter of the new UI. The clue is in the name 'quick group'. Personally I don't like it and don't use it. The app is currently what we all have to deal with and I have tried to help by providing a method that works. That's all
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I am not a supporter of the new UI. The clue is in the name 'quick group'. Personally I don't like it and don't use it. The app is currently what we all have to deal with and I have tried to help by providing a method that works. That's all

Oh, ok, thanks. You threw me off track by the 'supposed to be used for' bit.
With just a few tweaks it could be really good, imo. But at present it simply isn't right which is a pity.
I agree. And Sonos have said they are working on a number of changes. I don't happen to think it is ludicrous to believe that the quick grouping facility is for quickly adding another room or rooms to the one currently playing, but room selection, management and grouping should otherwise be done through the Rooms screen.
And here is one further thought. The quick group facility certainly gives the impression that it ought to be able to do more than it does. Whether that is a bug or a feature is irrelevant - I would scrap the thing either way.

If the nav bar is made visible on the Now Playing screen then quick group becomes even more redundant than it is now. I suspect that it has been the single biggest cause of frustration and confusion in the new app.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
When is this getting fixed???

Click a different zone... It goes back to original zone. Click additional zone... It only recognizes the one original choice...

Fix this!!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
If the nav bar is made visible on the Now Playing screen then quick group becomes even more redundant than it is now. I suspect that it has been the single biggest cause of frustration and confusion in the new app.

And if we just re-enable the room config from now playing, we can get rid of the nav bar. Cause let's face it, so far no one has been able to identify a real benefit of the new navigation. Disadvantages however are a plenty.

And if we just re-enable the room config from now playing, we can get rid of the nav bar. Cause let's face it, so far no one has been able to identify a real benefit of new navigation. Disadvantages however are a plenty.
We shall just have to agree to differ. I would be genuinely interested to know if you primarily use a tablet or a phone for control.