Support Windows 8 RT for Surface Tablet and Windows Phone 8 for Mobile Devices

Badge
This is not a full windows 8 platform but will work new surface tablet and Samsung and others plan to use this OS which is not fully windows 8 compatible. It would be very helpful if sonos would support this as the tablet looks promising.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

941 replies

Hi Sonos, I'm patiently waiting for Sonos App for Windows phones. I am really surprised that a company as large and professional as Sonos do not have an App for a Windows phone, especially as they do not have a Bluetooth connection on the Sonos 5 - which incidentely is a great speaker. However no App - and I have brought a pup!
Userlevel 1
+++++1 Badly needed. My new Surface is crying out for a Sonos App
Put me down as wanting and waiting too.
Come on Sonos. Let's have a Win 8 RT app!
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I cannot believe that a company like Sonos still does not support Windows Phone. Frustrating and annoying
Maybe. But the main problem in this topic is the sonos customer communication. This topic is alive since 3 years. And also under consideration since then. Do you really need 3 years to think about doing an app for windows? To be fair, no big request on this forum has been implemented. It is always about new streaming services... I can understand that big requests take some time, but 3 years. The reaction time of sonos is extremely slow. You can also refer to the right management thread. Sonos is answering on this topic on a regular 6 month basis, given us no information but encouraging us to keep following. In this for years now. Do you treat your customers this way? This is like "just feed these stupid windows users with some hope, to assure that they stay with us. Apple ftw!" The survey was going in the same direction. It was about how we want to use the app on windows. Well in exact the same way as in ios or android!!! Was there really a need to ask this? Or just a way to give windows user the impression that there is finally something going on. But now the beta or alpha app has been leaked for months now and the only comment we get is: There will be no news in the near future and we do not comment on features we work on. This shows another time that sonos is not willing to give us any kind of support. It just gives again a little hope that maybe in a far future there might be an app. There is already an app. Why is it not released? it seems to run well regarding the comments from the users which can strangely use it?! And now I have to read that you answered a user that you want to support apple music as fast as possible when you got in contact with apple for it. This service isn't released yet and it was announce a few days ago. Apparently you can take decisions quite fast. But I get it. This is about apple. When we're looking at Xbox music requested since years. There is nothing... What shall we conclude from this? Windows or Microsoft haters in your management? In any case when it comes to customer service it is a big mess. Thanks for treating us as trash after spending averaged thousand $ each for your system.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Well Groove Music (Xbox Music) was added to Sonos today (7/29/15). 
Big step in the right direction.
VOTE for it Here: https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/windows-10-controller-6730901/index1.html#post15967309
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Well you are in good company then, however you must admit your condescending tone is that of an appleboy. Not sure why you two always turn up on a windows related posts, why bother if windows is such a waste of space. Why waste your time?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Why can't you two just let us windows phone users moan. It's what we do, I use an old android phone as a controller for a bit and get annoyed at how rubbish it after a few weeks and come here to see if anything changes. All I can see is they are laying off staff, to "refocus" I read as it's not going too well at them moment. Windows support probably isn't the answer, but not sure some of the latest feature additions are either.
Badge +1
Come on SONOS, give us an app that works well on a Windows tablet install!
Please do this. Any app written for Windows RT will run on Windows 8. I'm a happy Sonos customer but now that I'm moving all of my PCs to Windows 8, the lack of a native Windows 8 app for Sonos is a problem.
Can't believe it's not there yet...
Userlevel 1
would it be so hard to just compile an ARM version of the Windows controller as a stopgap for Surface users? That would at least give some headroom for a Modern app to get built and published to the Windows Store.
When is a Windows 8 application available? Can we be added to a list? I would prefer not to go down the road of some other products where it is promised but a year later no results. So I need to know if continue to invest into Sonos or move on to another platform. I love the Sonos but it needs to work with Windows. That is a given. I think a few issues are DLNA certification and ability to push content from Windows Music to Sonos Players the same way content such as music, video, photos, etc. are pushed from desktop to xbox to tv, etc. Thanks, Gary in San Diego
Userlevel 1
Badge
"Under Consideration" for almost 2 years?
Even an Ent could have dictated the code for a sonos app on all platforms by this time. Please tell your Dev teams they are a total joke on this forum.

But this is now beyond a joke now and we are still without ANY official support for:
  1. Windows Phone
  2. Windows RT
  3. Windows 8 metro
  4. Xbox
  5. Xbox Music
Sonos reps have failed to provide answers or a real explanation and just given excuses and marketing BS.

They have plenty of money for huge marketing campaigns over here in the UK, launching many new products, continually updating the iOS and Android apps but the 1000's of us here in this thread are hushed up with lame excuses.

The honest truth is that two years ago this thread should have been labeled as "Not Planned" because now I no longer have a shred of confidence in Sonos and their mouthpieces here.

Either tell us the plan or mark this thread and its lies as closed and "Not Planned", stop coaxing people into buying a crippled system that you have no plans to actively provide Windows ecosystem support for.
As as SONOS showroom owner in San Jose, I need this so the four important platforms are addressed, IOS, Android, Windows 7 and Windows 8. The beauty of the SONOS platform is its cross-platform fluidity. The new Microsoft platform is a keeper. It's only a matter of degree as far as its success. Cheers, James
Userlevel 1
Badge
"Under Consideration" for almost 2 years?
Even an Ent could have dictated the code for a sonos app on all platforms by this time. Please tell your Dev teams they are a total joke on this forum.

But this is now beyond a joke now and we are still without ANY official support for:
  1. Windows Phone
  2. Windows RT
  3. Windows 8 metro
  4. Xbox
  5. Xbox Music
Sonos reps have failed to provide answers or a real explanation and just given excuses and marketing BS.

They have plenty of money for huge marketing campaigns over here in the UK, launching many new products, continually updating the iOS and Android apps but the 1000's of us here in this thread are hushed up with lame excuses.

The honest truth is that two years ago this thread should have been labeled as "Not Planned" because now I no longer have a shred of confidence in Sonos and their mouthpieces here.

Either tell us the plan or mark this thread and its lies as closed and "Not Planned", stop coaxing people into buying a crippled system that you have no plans to actively provide Windows ecosystem support for.

Come on Sonos, your inability to respond to your customers is beginning to get very tedious. I'm now up to 6 zones with close on $2k invested in your platform in under six months, sad but true. My family loves Sonos, we wake to it, drink coffee, have breakfast and right now at close on 2am here in Seattle we drink a glass of wine to favorite tunes.

You have a huge response to this request for better windows support from your fan base in the US and Europe, that's scale in my mind. Why, oh why can't you listen to your customers and deliver a viable UI and Xbox integration for a modern touch capable OS.

I've just left a dinner party where the music could have benefited from a pair of Play 1's. Its hard to push Sonos when you don't listen. I love your product but  I'm left disappointed due to your lack of commitment.

Today you ignore your customers due to a lack of response and show a level of disrespect few companies can sustain. Please address you customer platform specific needs by responding and respecting your Windows and Xbox customer base.
Absolutely need this! Remote Desktop to my gaming rig in order to control the Play 5 sat on my desk works fine but is a pain in the a** 🙂 @ryan, regarding compiling the existing app up for the Arm processor, I agree that this would be an acceptable stop gap (IE, the app runs on the desktop, just like the Office apps), but it may not be that simple. My understanding (which may be incorrect so don't shoot me down in flames!) is that only DirectX is supported by the Arm processor, not OpenGL. So we're OK if it's DirectX based or indeed something like .NET / XAML or HTML, Silverlight and so on, but if it's OpenGL then it isn't going to be a simple recompile, check, fix, rinse and repeat. Obviously with no understanding of the underlying source and architecture it's all pure speculation but I'm just trying to raise awarness that things may not be a simple re-compile. Oh, and given the multiple controller's on multiple OS's and architectures, my money's on it being OpenGL!!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Please please please build/release a Windows RT App, what with having a Windows 7 phone I'm getting very frustrated with Sonos inability to build solutions for these platforms. I was planning on buying more Sonos equipment but it's currently on hold until I see some movement on at least one of these. I'm starting to think about looking to see if there are sensible 'neat' alternatives to Sonos.
Userlevel 1
This request is sent from my surface. But i need to go to my laptop or ipad to instrument sonos?? Come on. Apple and android arent the only platforms
I'll resale my iPad to get a Microsoft Surface with Windows 8 RT. It is time for you guys to start developping a Windows RT application for Sonos because the Surface wave is coming.
Badge +18
All, It's been a little while since our last update and we know that many of you are keen to learn more about the direction of this request. In short, the direction we're headed in is a good one, but we're not yet ready to share any details at this time. Until we have more to share, we're going to keep this topic marked as Under Consideration. Thank you for your continued support and for sharing your comments with us.
We know this is a highly requested feature and that many of you are hoping to hear an acknowledgement from us on potential plans. 

We have no news to share with you about support for Windows Phone on Sonos at this time, and do not expect to have an update in the near future.  We are always testing ways to improve your experience with Sonos, and while we do not comment on what we're working on, this group will be among the first to know when we have more to share on this topic. Thank you for sharing your comments with us and we hope you'll continue to do so in the future.

Mmmm. You’re a month early, because usually you look at this thread only every 6 months. Why don’t you just close this tread and put Windows Phone support on SONOS as ‘Not planned’. That you are still considering to implement Windows Phone support on SONOS is very big BS. Don’t you think so ? The only reason to keep the tread alive is that you don’t want to lose the Windows Phone users but you neither want to give them what they are asking for the last 2 years.
We know this is a highly requested feature and that many of you are hoping to hear an acknowledgement from us on potential plans. 

We have no news to share with you about support for Windows Phone on Sonos at this time, and do not expect to have an update in the near future.  We are always testing ways to improve your experience with Sonos, and while we do not comment on what we're working on, this group will be among the first to know when we have more to share on this topic. Thank you for sharing your comments with us and we hope you'll continue to do so in the future.

On the other hand I would love to see a good third-party SONOS app on Windows Phone. Yesterday I was playing with the official SONOS app on an ipad and I realized that the UI of the official SONOS app is crap. So maybe we shouldn’t be waiting for an official SONOS app on Windows Phone, but for a good third-party app, with a great UI.

John, please comment to this:

Official Sonos app now closed beta in the Windows Phone Store

http://wmpoweruser.com/official-sonos-app-now-closed-beta-in-the-windows-phone-store/